Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drying washing outside

Drying washing outside

Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:01 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drying washing outside

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I like the way jeans feel after they've dried on the line.
I love the way clothes dried outside on the line smell! Wonderful fresh smell!

We moved into a rental house here in the northeast with a sturdy clothesline already built in the back garden, so no issues with it not being allowed. We have no problems with dust, just the occasional freeze-up, but now that the weather's turned warmer I hardly ever use my dryer. There's a breeze of some kind most days, so I never need to iron the air-dried clothes either.

I have noticed that I'm in the minority, but that doesn't both me at all.

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 15th 2012 at 5:03 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:01 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this article which may be of use; it is from this year and gives links to various state laws that prohibit someone (like a HOA) from saying that you CAN'T have a clothesline.

http://daily.sightline.org/2012/02/2...-in-19-states/
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

lisajdubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes we used to live in Dubai where washing often got covered in sand so tumble dryers were very handy,i guess im just too British ( and a northerner ) we have a lovely breeze in the back yard and clothes dry very quick,i have a clothes airer which i put out discreetly and will just wait til someone complains,i can always blame it on being British ,tho i agree that using the tumble dryer means less ironing ( bonus ) my worst chore
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:01 am
Just Joined

cmc87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always wondered about this. Coming from a cold climate where we all hung clothes outside, to my current warm climate, where nobody does. I'll have to check what the HOA says where we live.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I think the HOA "rules" here don't allow clothes drying outside, but I did bring a rotary clothes dryer over from the UK, so I'm d**n well going to use it. I think that that article did show that HOA's in CO can't object to outdoor clothes driers being used. I will put it at the back of the house, where anyone walking by can't see it, specially the HOA spies (an older couple that seem to take a walk around the street every morning), they seem to take note of everything that seems out of place.