British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Drying washing outside (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drying-washing-outside-751602/)

lisajdubai Mar 14th 2012 5:26 pm

Drying washing outside

I was checking if you can dry washing outside as i'm sure i read that you cant in Houston,i have seen rotary dryers in Lowes so maybe you can :confused:

avanutria Mar 14th 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Drying washing outside

You'll need to check your local regulations; if you have a landlord, apartment complex manager or home owner's association start there. If you own your home and are not in an HOA check any restrictions documents that came with your purchase papers, and maybe your town/city website.

lisajdubai Mar 14th 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks will check it out :thumbup:

MrSensical Mar 14th 2012 5:37 pm

Not using a tumble dryer, that's unamerican! They dry washing outside in them there commie countries, haven't ya heard? :eek:

kimilseung Mar 14th 2012 5:44 pm

We are allowed to, but if it would only stop raining long enough.

Pombat Mar 14th 2012 6:07 pm

Be prepared for the locals to think you are nuts! I dry washing outside (we're in California so it's pretty nice weather mostly), discreetly in the backyard so it is not visible to anyone else. The few neighbours who have noticed if they call in for a coffee or something like that are bemused and think it is a quaint English custom. I have the last laugh though when the utility bills arrive :)

Anian Mar 14th 2012 6:21 pm

Many homeowner/condo associations don't allow it, I don't know of any actual laws against it beyond that though.

avanutria Mar 14th 2012 6:25 pm

We dry our washing outside; our CC&Rs (regulations that came with the house) don't specifically mention it, and we made sure to put the rotary line up somewhere that it wasn't visible from the street. The two or three houses that can see our back yard didn't care enough to complain last year.

robin1234 Mar 14th 2012 6:48 pm

One work-around would be to shoot anyone who complained?

fatbrit Mar 14th 2012 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9953289)
One work-around would be to shoot anyone who complained?

And that would nicely get around any allegations of being unAmerican. Good thinking, sir!

sir_eccles Mar 14th 2012 6:59 pm

I was considering drying my laundry outside last year, then a haboob came through and covered everything in dust.

Englishmum Mar 14th 2012 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by lisajdubai (Post 9953169)
I was checking if you can dry washing outside as i'm sure i read that you cant in Houston,i have seen rotary dryers in Lowes so maybe you can :confused:

Looking at your username I assume you've moved to the US from a previous expat posting in Dubai? We were going to move there a few years ago and went to my husband's colleague's house. He said that all his shirts and white clothes had to be sent off to be laundered, because if it went into the washing machine the clothes would turn a kind of orange colour (due to the desert sands, I suppose).

He also said that they didn't hang clothes outside to dry either as the hot sun either turned them to cardboard or they would be bleached by the intense rays.

I really miss hanging clothes out to dry in the US and I know my neighbours would dob me in to the town council if I did. I do put out an airer from time to time to dry my swimming cossie, but then again we get some large bugs from time to time and I wouldn't like them to be caught in the sheets when I've brought them into the house lol!

Bob Mar 14th 2012 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9953305)
I was considering drying my laundry outside last year, then a haboob came through and covered everything in dust.

The in-laws used to give it a go...but the log trucks covered everything in dust, either that or the animals would make a mess of things...well the skunks seemed to like the sheets.

At our last place, we weren't allowed to, HOA rules, previous to that, we were...current place is a no, lamely as a fire hazard :/

Mummy in the foothills Mar 14th 2012 8:39 pm

We don't anymore due to the dust here in the country and also everything faded so quickly. SO now I use drying racks inside instead, the garage is perfect as it gets so hot in summer.

Deeks Mar 14th 2012 8:41 pm

Best to check out local rules, but in my long lifetime in America I have ALWAYS had and used a clothesline when the weather allowed. So did my neighbors. The only person I knew who couldn't lived in a new housing development with lots of silly rules about parking, trash cans, lawnmowing, house paint, etc.