Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dry Cleaners - they are cheap BUT

Dry Cleaners - they are cheap BUT

Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:48 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dry Cleaners - they are cheap BUT

OK, light hearted beef but wanted to see if there was a pattern here... that you guys see too, perhaps!

It's great you can get you shirts cleaned for 50p ($1) a time but more and more my wife has found now, with at least the 3 Dry Cleaners here in Atlanta we use, that they each arbitarily charge upto $4.50 a shirt. They sneak these in with a reasonable size order on 1 or 2 shirts despite us telling them time and time again all shirts to be cleaned the same. Their excuses have been... The buttons are too large to go through the machine, they are silky shirts Although they are 100% cotton), special labelling on shirt (but no different to any other shirt).

Fact is, my shirts cost $10-$30 depending on biz or casual like (and I buy in sales) so I sure as shxt ain't going to pay $4.50 to clean it!!

I just hate being ripped off but seems all the cleaners are the same!

Thoughts, is this just common to my area?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dry Cleaners - they are cheap BUT

the dry cleaners we use do a good job for us, shirts are 89c and although most are OH's business shirts we take his casual as well and all are priced the same.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:28 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Dry cleaners round here that charge $1 for a shirt require that it's on its own hanger, for whatever weird reason...
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really comment on US dry cleaners having never used one, but would it be so very difficult to wash your own shirts in the washing machine at home? Might be a bit cheaper? I only say this because I've just discovered that American washing machines only take 20 minutes to do a full wash - amazing - ours in the UK takes nearly an hour and a half on a 60 degree wash!
Is it a very American thing to get one shirts laundered professionally?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Can't really comment on US dry cleaners having never used one, but would it be so very difficult to wash your own shirts in the washing machine at home? Might be a bit cheaper? I only say this because I've just discovered that American washing machines only take 20 minutes to do a full wash - amazing - ours in the UK takes nearly an hour and a half on a 60 degree wash!
Is it a very American thing to get one shirts laundered professionally?
haha now where did you here that

the washers here do various cycles just like at home in the uk...and believe you me they do not wash as well as uk washers imo but that's a whole different thread
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
haha now where did you here that

the washers here do various cycles just like at home in the uk...and believe you me they do not wash as well as uk washers imo but that's a whole different thread
My hubbie was renting an apartment before we found our rental house. He said the washing machine only takes 20 minutes - even on the hottest wash! He has since moved into our new house and said he did a wash yesterday and again it only took 20 minutes! (I'm beginning to wonder if he's actually switching the thing on!)
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My hubbie was renting an apartment before we found our rental house. He said the washing machine only takes 20 minutes - even on the hottest wash! He has since moved into our new house and said he did a wash yesterday and again it only took 20 minutes! (I'm beginning to wonder if he's actually switching the thing on!)
The top loader in our rental took about 20 mins for an average wash. There was loads of lint on all the clothing...I'm surprised we had any clothes left when we moved out.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The top loader in our rental took about 20 mins for an average wash. There was loads of lint on all the clothing...I'm surprised we had any clothes left when we moved out.
LOL.

P.S What's lint?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.

P.S What's lint?
Fibres from clothes....the stuff you get out of your tumble dryer filter....only this was from the washing machine. I think it was because of the agitator action because I've never experienced it with a front loader before or since.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Fibres from clothes....the stuff you get out of your tumble dryer filter....only this was from the washing machine. I think it was because of the agitator action because I've never experienced it with a front loader before or since.
we call it fluff i think, can't remember but i never had heard of lint to do with laundry until i came here
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

we call it fluff i think, can't remember but i never had heard of lint to do with laundry until i came here
I call it fluff. When I was first dateing Rob he asked me to brush the lint off his uniform, I was thinking to myself "I cant see any bit's of flint"
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aaahhhh I see! Fluff. Amazing the things you learn here isn't it?
Thanks ladies!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by britvic
I call it fluff. When I was first dateing Rob he asked me to brush the lint off his uniform, I was thinking to myself "I cant see any bit's of flint"
Guess I've been here too long....
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
yep my OH used to do that in the UK and i just knew lint as some sort of lotion my mum used
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

Guess I've been here too long....
you really have, far too long

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.