British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Drug screening & background check. Confused (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drug-screening-background-check-confused-940874/)

tom169 Oct 3rd 2021 7:54 pm

Re: Drug screening & background check. Confused

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 13058183)
Increases an employer’s healthcare costs disproportionately.

So nothing related to why a drug test is typically performed as part of pre-employment screening.

For what its worth every US employer myself or my wife has had has increased premiums for tobacco users.

Giantaxe Oct 3rd 2021 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 13058217)
So nothing related to why a drug test is typically performed as part of pre-employment screening.

For what its worth every US employer myself or my wife has had has increased premiums for tobacco users.

Tobacco users have higher rates of medical absences. It’s not just about premium costs.

civilservant Oct 3rd 2021 9:23 pm

Drug tests are to test for illicit drugs. If you don't have a prescription for medical pot (which you can prove, obviously) and it is not legal for recreational use in your state it is, by definition, an illicit drug.

No different than if you are taking loratabs without a prescription.

I don't see what the problem is. If you are saying that it shouldn't be considered an illicit drug then your problem is with state law, not the company seeking a pre-employment drug screen.

Giantaxe Oct 3rd 2021 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13058247)
Drug tests are to test for illicit drugs. If you don't have a prescription for medical pot (which you can prove, obviously) and it is not legal for recreational use in your state it is, by definition, an illicit drug.

No different than if you are taking loratabs without a prescription.

I don't see what the problem is. If you are saying that it shouldn't be considered an illicit drug then your problem is with state law, not the company seeking a pre-employment drug screen.

There are an awful lot of things that are “illicit”. Why the fixation specifically on marijuana use?
And to use your example, do employers test for Loratabs and demand to see a prescription if detected? Ditto for a zillion other drugs that require a prescription?

civilservant Oct 4th 2021 7:11 am

And to use your example, do employers test for Loratabs and demand to see a prescription if detected? Ditto for a zillion other drugs that require a prescription?
I can’t speak for other employers, but mine asks for proof of any prescriptions that are used to refute a positive result.

There are an awful lot of things that are “illicit”. Why the fixation specifically on marijuana use?
Because that’s what we were discussing specifically earlier in the thread….

MidAtlantic Oct 4th 2021 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 13057425)
So what's the purpose of screening for marijuana? If it's fitness for the job, then why aren't they testing for alcohol and tobacco use as well? If it's because it's illegal, well it simply isn't in most of the US. And if it's because of some notion that marijuana use indicates that a job candidate is likely to be a lawbreaker, I will simply shake my head.

If I was employing drivers or employees operating heavy/complex machinery I would want to test them for anything that may impair their skills. That would be for their own safety and the safety of others.

Giantaxe Oct 4th 2021 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 13058410)
If I was employing drivers or employees operating heavy/complex machinery I would want to test them for anything that may impair their skills. That would be for their own safety and the safety of others.

So any alcohol use then?

Giantaxe Oct 4th 2021 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13058343)
I can’t speak for other employers, but mine asks for proof of any prescriptions that are used to refute a

So they test for any and all prescription drugs to make sure you’re not using any “illicitly”?

civilservant Oct 4th 2021 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 13058465)
So they test for any and all prescription drugs to make sure you’re not using any “illicitly”?

Clearly not. However most tests do check for the obvious ones that cause a 'high' and therefore are more commonly abused.

So any alcohol use then?
Since alcolhol is legal, no.

So let's clear this up - your position is that there should be no drugs screening? Or that they should be screening for other things? If so, what?

Giantaxe Oct 4th 2021 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13058466)
Clearly not. However most tests do check for the obvious ones that cause a 'high' and therefore are more commonly abused.

so not about “illicit” drug use then but those that cause a “high”…

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13058466)
Since alcolhol is legal, no.

So let's clear this up - your position is that there should be no drugs screening? Or that they should be screening for other things? If so, what?

oh but alcohol causes a “high” and is much more widely abused than marijuana….

I think my position is pretty clear , namely that testing for marijuana is absurd when there is no testing for alcohol use. I realize it’s going to take a while for the predictable set of states to legalize marijuana but thankfully most of the country is there or on the way. So even this “illicit” argument - which is itself inconsistent - is going away.

civilservant Oct 4th 2021 2:35 pm

I notice that you failed to answer the question. How about you come up with a solution rather than sniping from the cheap seats? I'd genuinely like to know what your position actually is.

Giantaxe Oct 4th 2021 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13058475)
I notice that you failed to answer the question. How about you come up with a solution rather than sniping from the cheap seats? I'd genuinely like to know what your position actually is.

As I’ve already said I wouldn’t pre-employment test for either marijuana or alcohol.

tom169 Oct 4th 2021 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 13058476)
As I’ve already said I wouldn’t pre-employment test for either marijuana or alcohol.

Depending on the role there is alcohol tests. CDL for example.

​​​​​

tom169 Oct 4th 2021 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 13058239)
Tobacco users have higher rates of medical absences. It’s not just about premium costs.

When framed like this it screams discriminatory. Where will the list end?

Lion in Winter Oct 4th 2021 5:24 pm

Pre-employment tests for assorted substances do little in terms of safeguarding others anyway.

Anybody using anything knows to stop using for a certain amount of time beforehand.

Random regular testing after hiring might find more people, but there are very few roles where I would be comfortable with that happening.