British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Drug Screen and Background Check - L1 visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drug-screen-background-check-l1-visa-911350/)

civilservant Apr 6th 2018 7:09 pm

Re: Drug Screen and Background Check - L1 visa

As a non-alcohol drinker, I wouldn't be adverse to checking for that if a company deemed it better for them.

PetrifiedExPat Apr 6th 2018 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12476997)
As a non-alcohol drinker, I wouldn't be adverse to checking for that if a company deemed it better for them.

This is comedy gold

Giantaxe Apr 6th 2018 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12476997)

"According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 86.4 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 70.1 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.0 percent reported that they drank in the past month.1"

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-he...and-statistics

You're going to have a mighty small job force then. Or perhaps it's time for prohibition - that worked out really well last time around.

PetrifiedExPat Apr 6th 2018 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12477008)
"According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 86.4 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 70.1 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.0 percent reported that they drank in the past month.1"

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-he...and-statistics

You're going to have a mighty small job force then. Or perhaps it's time for prohibition - that worked out really well last time around.

Really fun work parties, also.

TheKingOfHearts Apr 7th 2018 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat (Post 12476954)
What if the subject took in the marijuana outside of work in a state where it was legal? Would you not employ them on federal law grounds? All a but pathetic IMO

I asked this - response was the same. Drugs considered illegal at the federal level, regardless of where they were consumed are considered a fail.

I honestly couldn't care less about marijuana, but the policy is policy. I should add they do ask you to do a breath test too, to check your alcohol levels.

Giantaxe Apr 8th 2018 12:24 am

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12477624)
I asked this - response was the same. Drugs considered illegal at the federal level, regardless of where they were consumed are considered a fail.

I honestly couldn't care less about marijuana, but the policy is policy. I should add they do ask you to do a breath test too, to check your alcohol levels. I honestly couldn't care less about marijuana, but the policy is policy.

So you can be addicted to opioids and pass but smoke an occasional joint and fail... pure stupidity.

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12477624)
I should add they do ask you to do a breath test too, to check your alcohol levels.

Which tells you basically nothing given how relatively soon alcohol dissipates in the body.

uk_grenada Apr 8th 2018 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12477669)
So you can be addicted to opioids and pass but smoke an occasional joint and fail... pure stupidity.

Which tells you basically nothing given how relatively soon alcohol dissipates in the body.

Dont be a dxck, they can measure historical opioid use from your hair. Its also not that they are discriminating against you because you use recreational - dodgy legally - drugs, its because you become exposed by illegal activity to potential blackmail, and because you expose yourself as someone who doesnt mind breaking some law or another.

If you want to work for ‘the govt man’ dont break his rules.

Giantaxe Apr 8th 2018 2:13 am

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12477683)
Dont be a dxck, they can measure historical opioid use from your hair. Its also not that they are discriminating against you because you use recreational - dodgy legally - drugs, its because you become exposed by illegal activity to potential blackmail, and because you expose yourself as someone who doesnt mind breaking some law or another.

If you want to work for ‘the govt man’ dont break his rules.

Many opioids that are used recreationally are actually legal drugs.

neill Apr 9th 2018 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Aquapanther (Post 12476501)
So, I'm in the US on an L-1a visa.
I'm moving over to the US payroll, but will remain an employee of the UK company.

The US HR manager wants to submit me for a background check and drug screen. I have absolutely nothing to hide but I'm still reluctant as I obviously want to keep those kind of checks to an minimum unless absolutely required.

Before I go talk to my UK director about it, any advice on where I stand here?

Probably has to be done for insurance purposes. Don't sweat it.

NavyBoy Apr 13th 2018 4:29 pm

Just be sure to ask them for their GDPR policies on how they will handle the result. We IA professionals have Xmas bonuses to make..............

TheKingOfHearts Apr 13th 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by NavyBoy (Post 12481142)
Just be sure to ask them for their GDPR policies on how they will handle the result. We IA professionals have Xmas bonuses to make..............

GDPR shouldn't be relevant for US executed tasks..?

Edit: Also not until May 29th, if I recall?

Aquapanther Apr 13th 2018 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by NavyBoy (Post 12481142)

Don’t start me on GDPR!
Given I deal with our customers data this is a nightmare...or it was before I moved to the US and left it on someone else’s plate! :D

NavyBoy Apr 16th 2018 3:21 am

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12481209)
GDPR shouldn't be relevant for US executed tasks..?

Edit: Also not until May 29th, if I recall?

If it is a EU data subject then it is relevant. Until test cases come in we will not know the full extent of the reach but for companies which trade in the EU the fines can be eye watering.

ChrisK Apr 16th 2018 4:45 am

Personally, I'm thankful that I work for a more enlightened (US) employer where such a test might be seen as an infringement of civil liberties.

Clearly using illegal drugs is, well, illegal, but as noted above, given that the US seems to be obsessed with taking a pill for any perceived ailment - most of which seem to be opioids, it does appear to be a bureaucratic case of "we've always done it - why are you questioning it?" (to which could be added, "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah").

TheKingOfHearts Apr 17th 2018 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ChrisK (Post 12482347)
it does appear to be a bureaucratic case of "we've always done it - why are you questioning it?"

Funnily enough we havn't always done it - it's a very recent requirement, especially hair samples which only came into affect 1st Jan.

Personally I have no qualms with it, but then I know I wouldn't fail, so besides the (minor) inconvenience of having to go and give a sample, I couldn't care less.