Reload this Page >

Driving in Washington state

Driving in Washington state

Old May 14th 2009, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Mexicanfoodrules is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Washington state

Hey

moving over to Washington state in less than 2 weeks time!!!!!!!!!!! cant waiiit

What im trying to find out is if anyone else has moved over to WA and what sort of expereince they had using there british driving licence. Ive looked on the dmv site and it seems i can drive on my uk licence for upto a year without taking a test etc etc! Do you have any more info at all?

Thank youuuuu
Old May 14th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Washington state

You wanna get a Washington driving license. Saves you a lot of hassle and you'll need a license for getting into bars and whatnot anyway.

The sooner you get it out the way, the better. I'd aim to do it as soon as possible. The test is easy.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

in the meantime can i drive on my uk license until take the test? how long you been there? did you have to take lessons too? or just the test?

cheers
Old May 14th 2009, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mexicanfoodrules
in the meantime can i drive on my uk license until take the test? how long you been there? did you have to take lessons too? or just the test?

cheers
How are you going to get insurance? I'm not saying you won't be insured, but unless you're driving a rental car (in which case you can use your UK license with no problems) just wondering what you'll be driving and how you'll insure it. As Carty said, its a very simple test, both written and driving. Just make sure you bring along your SSN as well.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
How are you going to get insurance? I'm not saying you won't be insured, but unless you're driving a rental car (in which case you can use your UK license with no problems) just wondering what you'll be driving and how you'll insure it. As Carty said, its a very simple test, both written and driving. Just make sure you bring along your SSN as well.
There's companies that'll insure you on johnny foreigner license, but you'll be warming the vaseline jar up until you get the local license....

As for the test, probably a doddle, but worth reading up on drink drive penalties, and anything involving under 21's because it'll be something like that which you wouldn't care about that could catch you out.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Ive looked on the dmv site and it seems i can drive on my uk licence for upto a year without taking a test etc etc! Do you have any more info at all?
You probably need to read the dmv site more closely. Most states let you use an out-of-state licence for an extended period only if you are there on a temporary basis (eg. a student, temporary work assignment, etc). If you take up residence there (eg. buy a house, sign a lease) you're normally required to get a state licence within a relatively short time. This time varies from state to state, but 30 days is typical.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bill_S
You probably need to read the dmv site more closely. Most states let you use an out-of-state licence for an extended period only if you are there on a temporary basis (eg. a student, temporary work assignment, etc). If you take up residence there (eg. buy a house, sign a lease) you're normally required to get a state licence within a relatively short time. This time varies from state to state, but 30 days is typical.
thanks for all the info, looks like ill just get the tests out the way then, easier overall it looks like. Cheers guys. Less than two weekssssssssss cant believe how quick its came around how do you find it driving over there compared to england ?
Old May 14th 2009, 3:58 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, definitely take the test, you'll take a written (computer) test first, plus the driving test. I actually failed my written test the first time, didn't "revise" enough, blush. The driving test is fairly standard. Driving on the "other" side of the road takes a bit of getting used to, but it soon becomes second nature. You could always take a few lessons, or just brave it on some quieter roads.
Naomi.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:04 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the info, looks like ill just get the tests out the way then, easier overall it looks like. Cheers guys. Less than two weekssssssssss cant believe how quick its came around how do you find it driving over there compared to england ?
Bloody brilliant compared to driving in DC, Chicago or LA.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Seattle traffic is not that bad really in the grand scheme of things. Depends where you are planning to live relative to where you plan to work.

Seattle drivers are a bit shit though, especially when it snows. One inch of snow = cars off the road right left and centre. It's a bit pathetic, to be honest.

Where are you planning to live, incidentally?
Old May 14th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

well be living in olympia probably a little less busy traffic wise than seattle. where abouts are you, seattle itself?
Old May 14th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

how do you find it driving over there compared to england ?
As long as you're prepared to un-learn such British bad habits as using your indicators, maintaining lane discipline, correctly yielding right of way, you'll be fine.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Since you'll be arriving as a Permanent Resident, you should probably get the test done in the first 30 days.
If you know how to drive, you don't need lessons.

You can start studying the Washington Driver's Manual now and you'll be ready to drive us all to Casa Burrito when you're done.
Here is a little something else for you to look at before you fly: Arriving In America: Navigating the POE
Old May 14th 2009, 5:43 pm
All or Nuffin'

Archibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of lightArchibald_Leach is a glorious beacon of light

I moved to WA state about 18 months ago, though i'm down south on the border with Oregon I do venture up to Seattle occasionally. I think you need to take the test within 30 days if you settling as opposed to just visiting.

Biggest problem for me was orientation, not only are you driving on the other side of the road but the traffic signals are up high over the road itself and the street signs at junctions are confusing, I still have to ask myself does that sign refer to the road i'm on or the road thats crossing.

The good news is that the various branches of law enforcement seem to use a bit more discretion than the scameras you are used to in the UK. Local officers are more likely to give you a warning than a ticket on minor stuff, though i've heard the highway patrol can be complete gits when their budget hasn't been approved, I live on the same street as a law enforcement officer and on this street are kids on mopeds, atv's, powered scooters and ride on lawnmowers.... he doesn't bat an eyelid.

If you get a motorcycle in WA insurance isn't compulsory, though for the old restoration i've done my insurance is only $72 for basic cover for a full year (Progressive), .... I do have medical insurance though as car drivers seem to treat bikes as mobile targets over here.

Have a look at the WA DMV website, you can either do the written test followed by the road test, or theres a middle option of doing the written test followed by a permit which allows you to practice before the test but has some limitations as to when you can drive.

Archie
Old May 14th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Archibald_Leach
I do have medical insurance though as car drivers seem to treat bikes as mobile targets over here.
I have to disagree with this a little. Drivers in Washington (specificly around Seattle) DO NOT treat bikes as mobile targets.

Drivers just do NOT see bikes at all. For that matter they also do not see other drivers. The drivers here are bad.

I had been driving 17 years without a crash/speeding ticket/dealing with insurance. Within 3 months of me being her,e I was hit in the side by a car coming out of a side street. I was in stopped traffic and he just decided to pull out. He said he didn't see me. WTF I was stopped and had been for about 30 seconds. Funny thing was there was a cop behind me who saw the whole thing. Was a pin with the insurance company, they only wanted to pay 75% of the claim. stating I mad a illegal lane change. LOL I got the office to call them up and point out there mistake. He also mentioned that if any witnesses had said otherwise he would file charges for making false statements to an insurance company. I was paid out the 100% costs

I have seen 2 crashes. 1 invloving a biker, the car just hit him at an intersection. The Biker was stopped waiting to turn. He was wearing bright orange gear on a sunny dry day. When I talked to the driver that hit him he said he didn't see him. On the second crash (less that 50 meters from the first on a different day) a driver just pulled out into traffic that was stopped. It hit the car in front of me. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Drivers here just do not see anything.

BTW your test in washington requires that you can drink coffee, while talking into a mobile phone and turn the corner at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.