Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving..Virginia

Driving..Virginia

Old Jun 17th 2002, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Driving..Virginia

Does anyone know if it is OK to drive on an International driving
licence (issued in UK) whilst waiting to get a license in US
I Couldn't find anything on the web site.
I'm applying for permanent residency from London.
Old Jun 17th 2002, 7:20 pm
Michele Sharik

Default Re: Driving..Virginia

You could call your state's Department/Bureau of Motor Vehicles. They'd know. (or
check their web site)

Good luck!

--
-Michèle (US) & Brian (CAN) Detailed Timeline: http://ladysun1969.tripod.com Oct 11,
2000: met in person June 16, 2001: married in Las Vegas July 10, 2001: submitted
I-485/I-130 package (Cleveland) August 14, 2001: EAD & SSN August 17, 2001:
fingerprints August 21, 2001: AP January 21, 2002: moved to San Francisco May 28,
2002: AOS interview (SF) -- given 90 day Continuance for Medical Exam June 1, 2002:
INS Medical Exam

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know if it is OK to drive on an International driving licence (issued
    > in UK) whilst waiting to get a license in US I Couldn't find anything on the web
    > site. I'm applying for permanent residency from London.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 17th 2002, 7:20 pm
Andy Platt

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if it is OK to drive on an International driving licence (issued
    > in UK) whilst waiting to get a license in US I Couldn't find anything on the web

VA requires new residents to get a DL within 30 days, before that you can use your UK
driver's license fine.

It doesn't take long to get the VA license but you will need some proof of residency.
To my mind, until you have that proof you cannot be classed as a resident so the 30
days can't be ticking!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 17th 2002, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

punksk8r79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also in Virginia you cannot apply for a full driving license straight away, you must apply for the learners permit first and hold that for 30 days before you can apply for a full license. This is because Virginia does not recognise the UK license and you have to apply as if you have never had a license before.
Old Jun 18th 2002, 12:20 pm
Andy Platt

"punksk8r79" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Also in Virginia you cannot apply for a full driving license straight away, you
    > must apply for the learners permit first and hold that for 30 days before you can
    > apply for a full license. This is because Virginia does not recognise the UK
    > license and you have to apply as if you have never had a license before.

I know the rules are different in Virginia now (my sister-in-law's boyfriend is
having an "amusing" time with the DMV because, for various reasons, he has not had a
driver's license since 1988 and VA have destroyed all DMV records prior to 1993 so
they want him to have the 30 day permit again) but when I applied they gave me the
choice of exchanging my UK license for a VA one or taking the road test. I just took
the road test.

Interestingly the DMV website now just says you can do this if you have a Canadian,
French or German DL. Canada I understand but France and Germany? EU licences are
supposed to be standardized so why not any EU licence?

Andy.

--

Old Jun 18th 2002, 1:20 pm
Marieta

rogerpenycate <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

As far as I know your driving license should be fine. Isn't it just like when you go
to the US on vacation and you have the international driving license so you can drive
anywhere! The one they issue here in Slovenia is valid for 3 years (I don't know for
the UK ones) so enough time to get a US drivers license, right!?!

M

Old Jun 18th 2002, 2:20 pm
L D Jones

Andy Platt wrote:
    >
    > "punksk8r79" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Also in Virginia you cannot apply for a full driving license straight away, you
    > > must apply for the learners permit first and hold that for 30 days before you can
    > > apply for a full license. This is because Virginia does not recognise the UK
    > > license and you have to apply as if you have never had a license before.
    >
    > I know the rules are different in Virginia now (my sister-in-law's boyfriend is
    > having an "amusing" time with the DMV because, for various reasons, he has not had
    > a driver's license since 1988 and VA have destroyed all DMV records prior to 1993
    > so they want him to have the 30 day permit again) but when I applied they gave me
    > the choice of exchanging my UK license for a VA one or taking the road test. I just
    > took the road test.
    >
    > Interestingly the DMV website now just says you can do this if you have a Canadian,
    > French or German DL. Canada I understand but France and Germany? EU licences are
    > supposed to be standardized so why not any EU licence?

perhaps because they drive on the right in Germany and France

Old Jun 19th 2002, 6:21 am
Shane

In article <[email protected]>, rogerpenycate
<[email protected]> writes
    >Does anyone know if it is OK to drive on an International driving licence (issued in
    >UK) whilst waiting to get a license in US I Couldn't find anything on the web site.
    >I'm applying for permanent residency from London.
    >
    >
It varies from State to State. Here in California you have to get a California
licence within 10 days of taking up residency in the State. I also had no problem
with my UK driving licence being accepted anywhere. Even the local car dealerships
were happy to accept it when I wanted to take test drives.
--
Shane

Old Jun 19th 2002, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

If you wish to reply to this message please visit our Contact Us page at http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ge...acts/index.asp

Dear Mr. Penycate:

The Department of Motor Vehicles wishes to thank you for your recent visit to our Web site. We are pleased to be able to respond to your inquiry.

Since Virginia does not have a reciprocal agreement with England, to obtain a Virginia driver's license you will have to apply for a Virginia Learner's Permit. You will be required to take the knowledge exam, and upon passing that exam you will be issued a learner's permit. It allows you to operate a motor vehicle when a licensed driver at least 21 years old is seated beside you. You will have to hold that learner's for 30 days and then return to the DMV to take the road test to obtain the driver's license.

Your daughter will have to apply for the learner's permit, and she will have to hold the learner's permit for a minimum of nine months. She will have to complete a Virginia approved driver education course. These courses are offered at the high schools in Virginia, or you can enroll her in a private school. Use the following link to view a list of approved commercial driver training schools in Virginia.
http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen...dl_schools.asp

If she reaches the age of 18 and has competed the driver's education course (both in-classroom and in-car portions) prior to the nine month period of time, she is eligible to obtain the license prior to the end of the nine month period.

In order to obtain a photo ID or Driver''s license from the state of Virginia, you must be able to supply us with:
1) Two (2) proofs of identity (one from the primary list and one from secondary list OR two from the primary list)
http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen...rs/idproof.asp
2) One (1) proof of social security number
http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen...s/ssnproof.asp
3) One (1) proof of Virginia residency
http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen...s/resproof.asp
The links following each requirement will take you to the area of our site containing the list of acceptable documents. Please review this list and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Management discretion is no longer appropriate regarding this procedure; therefore, any document not listed will not be accepted.

For more information about obtaining the driver's license and being new to Virginia, please use the following link to information on our Web site.
http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/moving/newva.asp

If there is anything further we may assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us. I can also be contacted by responding to this E-mail, or by calling toll free, 1-866-368-5463, once you hear the automated instructions you can dial "0" for an agent. Once an agent answers, ask to be transferred to me at ext. 6702. When responding to this E-mail, please re-send it in its entirety so that we may serve you most efficiently.

Sincerely,
Cathy Davis
E-Correspondence Unit

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
PO BOX 27412
Richmond VA 23269-0001

----- Original Request ----- 137733 ---

I would be grateful for your advice.I am writing to you from England and will bemoving to Fredericksburg with my Americanwife, probably late July.I need to know the procedures and what I have to do to get a drivers license, as soonas possible.I will be arriving as a permanent residentwith an I-551 (until me green card has been issued)I will also be bringing my 17 year old daughter who has not driven in England and would be grateful for any advice regardingdriving lessons and what she needs to do.Thank you for your helpRoger Penycate
Old Jun 19th 2002, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

punksk8r79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also you dont need an international driving license to drive in america, just the normal uk license, as your license is already in English, thats what the US embassy website says anyway
Dave
Old Jun 19th 2002, 2:20 pm
Andy Platt

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Since Virginia does not have a reciprocal agreement with England, to obtain a
    > Virginia driver's license you will have to apply for a Virginia Learner's Permit.
    > You will be required to take the knowledge exam, and upon passing that exam you
    > will be issued a learner's permit. It allows you to operate a motor vehicle when a
    > licensed driver at least 21 years old is seated beside you. You will have to hold
    > that learner's for 30 days and then return to the DMV to take the road test to
    > obtain the driver's license.

I wondered about this. You'll have a valid UK driver's licence that you can use to
drive. Having applied for the "learner's permit" are you still safe to drive around
unaccompanied. My thoughts are:

a) Of course you are, you still have your UK driver's licence, it's still valid
b) Of course not, you now have a VA driver's license (albeit a learner's) and that
takes precedent.

Personally I would carry on driving and not have the learner's permit with me but it
is an interesting question.

Andy.

--

Old Jun 19th 2002, 4:20 pm
Denis Barlow

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Since Virginia does not have a reciprocal agreement with England, to obtain a
    > > Virginia driver's license you will have to apply for a Virginia Learner's Permit.
    > > You will be required to take the knowledge exam, and upon passing that exam you
    > > will be issued a learner's permit. It allows you to operate a motor vehicle when
    > > a licensed driver at least 21 years old is seated beside you. You will have to
    > > hold that learner's for 30 days and then return to the DMV to take the road test
    > > to obtain the driver's license.
    >
    > I wondered about this. You'll have a valid UK driver's licence that you
can
    > use to drive. Having applied for the "learner's permit" are you still safe to drive
    > around unaccompanied. My thoughts are:
    >
    > a) Of course you are, you still have your UK driver's licence, it's still valid

That's a moot point Andy, I was in touch with DVLA and they told me that my UK
driver's license became invalid the moment I no longer had a UK address.

Denis

> b) Of course not, you now have a VA driver's license (albeit a learner's) and that
    > takes precedent.
    >
    > Personally I would carry on driving and not have the learner's permit with me but
    > it is an interesting question.
    >
    > Andy.
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 9:21 am
Bastian Freitag

"Denis Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > That's a moot point Andy, I was in touch with DVLA and they told me that
my
    > UK driver's license became invalid the moment I no longer had a UK
address.
    >
    > Denis

I don't know about the UK, but the German driver's license is valid for lifetime
regardless if you reside in Germany or not.

I'm not sure if I will still be able to use my Germany DL once I am in Texas - maybe
I need to get an international driving permit, maybe I will be fine to use my German
DL for awhile... if you come to the US on a visa waiver, they are fine when you
drive, not sure when you entered on a K-1 though.

Bastian

Old Jun 20th 2002, 4:21 pm
Mrtravel

Bastian Freitag wrote:
    >
    > I'm not sure if I will still be able to use my Germany DL once I am in Texas -
    > maybe I need to get an international driving permit, maybe I will be fine to use my
    > German DL for awhile... if you come to the US on a visa waiver, they are fine when
    > you drive, not sure when you entered on a K-1 though.

It depends on the state. Generally, if you become a resident, you have to get a state
DL. The state definition of being a resident may or may not match the INS definition.
You should contact your state DL office.