Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in USA with uk licence

Driving in USA with uk licence

Old Oct 31st 2018, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

N1ckyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in USA with uk licence

im a uk resident and want to fly to New York to buy a classic car, can anyone tell me if I can get insured on a uk licence and which insurers would you recommend
Old Oct 31st 2018, 2:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in USA with uk licence

Are you planning on importing said car to the UK? If so what kind of timeframe are you looking at?
Old Oct 31st 2018, 2:36 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

I got insured with Progressive when I moved to the U.S and still had my U.K license for the first month. They accepted it without any problems, however it was not cheap.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could in Colorado, US is done by State but find it difficult to believe it could not be done, no doubt would not be cheap.

Probably best to contact a local Broker.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 7:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamackabi
I got insured with Progressive when I moved to the U.S and still had my U.K license for the first month. They accepted it without any problems, however it was not cheap.
Difference is he is not, or at least has not said, he is moving to NY but that he is coming to NY to buy a classic car. Assume he wants to insure it for transport back to the UK and perhaps for driving while he visits the US.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably Google for a company that will handle everything for you and see what they advise.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 9:54 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of classic are you talking about? Why go to New York or anywhere in the North East, where there's rain, salted roads, sea air, rust.....
Why not get a car from a dry climate like Arizona, NM, Utah, California? Save you a lot of hassle being rust-free. Just a suggestion.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
What kind of classic are you talking about? Why go to New York or anywhere in the North East, where there's rain, salted roads, sea air, rust.....
Why not get a car from a dry climate like Arizona, NM, Utah, California? Save you a lot of hassle being rust-free. Just a suggestion.
I’m looking to buy an old sl 560 mercedes, I chose New York as the port to uk is at New York , but your right the ones I’ve seen are really rusty under neath .
Old Oct 31st 2018, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Difference is he is not, or at least has not said, he is moving to NY but that he is coming to NY to buy a classic car. Assume he wants to insure it for transport back to the UK and perhaps for driving while he visits the US.
yes that’s exactly what I wanted to do, fly over , but the car and use it until it’s shipped then fly home.
i was reading something about applying for an international drivers permit before you enter the USA, just looking for a easy way to insure it, if not I will have to tow it.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well an IDP has nothing to do with this and is not needed as most Americans can read English. Can the person you are buying the car from give you any pointers.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 12:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you just planning on driving it to the port?
Old Nov 1st 2018, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Are you just planning on driving it to the port?
yes I was hoping to buy it, drive it to buy another car and use it for a week then drop it to the port
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The problem that I see with your driving the car while you wait for it to be loaded for transport is that the car needs to be registered. In your case, registration would be with New York State's Department of Motor Vehicle. If you are only going to be in the US for a week or two, then there is no point in registering a vehicle for that short a period. Not sure if you need a title on the vehicle which is classified as a vintage automobile. If you did, the process is to buy the vehicle, get insurance and the certificate of insurance from the insurance company, take your bill of sale, certificate of insurance and copy of the transferred title to the DMV, pay to register the automobile, pay the New York State tax on the vehicle and the registration fee, put the plates that come with the registration on the car, and drive it. If all is in order, you can get that done in one day at the DMV. Your problem might be that if there is a title on the automobile, then you will be issued a new title showing you as the owner of the vehicle and will New York State send it to the UK? Will New York State even register a vehicle for a tourist without a US license? If there is no title to the vehicle because it is of a certain age, the process for registration is the same minus the need for the title. The best thing is to read the DMV website for NYS and to talk with an insurance agent. Since the vehicle will be leaving the US, the transport company you will be using is probably the best source of information.

It seems that to register the vehicle so it can be driven in NY for a short period of time would be very expensive. Sales tax alone will be somewhere around 8.75%, registration another hundred or more, etc. Easier and cheaper to just rent a car from Enterprise or another car rental agency.

As for rust, yup, New York State uses both salt and sand on the roadways in winter. Depends on where in New York State the car comes from. The New York City area and bedroom communities normally use salt as does the Department of Transportation (DOT) on the major highways and byways. Neighboring states, i.e. New Jersey use sand mostly. Responsible car owners, myself being one of them, take our vehicles to the automated car wash and have the under carriage washed at least once a month during the winter months, particularly if it has been a winter where there is snow and ice resulting in sand and salt on the roadways.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 1st 2018 at 11:12 am.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
The problem that I see with your driving the car while you wait for it to be loaded for transport is that the car needs to be registered. In your case, registration would be with New York State's Department of Motor Vehicle. If you are only going to be in the US for a week or two, then there is no point in registering a vehicle for that short a period. Not sure if you need a title on the vehicle which is classified as a vintage automobile. If you did, the process is to buy the vehicle, get insurance and the certificate of insurance from the insurance company, take your bill of sale, certificate of insurance and copy of the transferred title to the DMV, pay to register the automobile, pay the New York State tax on the vehicle and the registration fee, put the plates that come with the registration on the car, and drive it. If all is in order, you can get that done in one day at the DMV. Your problem might be that if there is a title on the automobile, then you will be issued a new title showing you as the owner of the vehicle and will New York State send it to the UK? Will New York State even register a vehicle for a tourist without a US license? If there is no title to the vehicle because it is of a certain age, the process for registration is the same minus the need for the title. The best thing is to read the DMV website for NYS and to talk with an insurance agent. Since the vehicle will be leaving the US, the transport company you will be using is probably the best source of information.

It seems that to register the vehicle so it can be driven in NY for a short period of time would be very expensive. Sales tax alone will be somewhere around 8.75%, registration another hundred or more, etc. Easier and cheaper to just rent a car from Enterprise or another car rental agency.

As for rust, yup, New York State uses both salt and sand on the roadways in winter. Depends on where in New York State the car comes from. The New York City area and bedroom communities normally use salt as does the Department of Transportation (DOT) on the major highways and byways. Neighboring states, i.e. New Jersey use sand mostly. Responsible car owners, myself being one of them, take our vehicles to the automated car wash and have the under carriage washed at least once a month during the winter months, particularly if it has been a winter where there is snow and ice resulting in sand and salt on the roadways.

Good luck to you.
thank you for the reply, I think it is more hassle than it is worth to insure and drive the car whilst in USA, I thank you for the comprehensive reply.
i was buying one of the cars from east Hamptons , and the other in Florida , tampa, the guy from the Hamptons sent me detailed pictures of the car underneath and it is rusted something chronic , like Swiss cheese, I own an earlier one and it is nothing like that!! So it makes a real difference where it spent its life.
the information given here has been invaluable to me and I’m now changing my search area, although Californian cars are $3-4000 more expensive.
thanks again.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1ckyp

thank you for the reply, I think it is more hassle than it is worth to insure and drive the car whilst in USA, I thank you for the comprehensive reply.
i was buying one of the cars from east Hamptons , and the other in Florida , tampa, the guy from the Hamptons sent me detailed pictures of the car underneath and it is rusted something chronic , like Swiss cheese, I own an earlier one and it is nothing like that!! So it makes a real difference where it spent its life.
the information given here has been invaluable to me and I’m now changing my search area, although Californian cars are $3-4000 more expensive.
thanks again.
Try Texas. You can also ship out of Houston fairly easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.