Reload this Page >

Driving in the USA after being here for 11 months

Driving in the USA after being here for 11 months

Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

ollieoftheuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in the USA after being here for 11 months

Hey everyone,

So I was wondering if I am allowed to drive using my UK license here in Seattle, WA. I moved here mid-August last year, and was on an F1 student visa from September up till June 6. I'm now about to start work here in Seattle on OPT (optional training, linked to my student visa).

Am I still allowed to drive using my UK drivers license?

Thanks!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the USA after being here for 11 months

This took a minute on Google:

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Moving? Get a Washington State driver license
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

ollieoftheuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Nutmegger,

I'm going to be applying for one, but in the interim want to hire a van to move a few things and can't get a license here until I have passed all the tests and have been given a social security number.

Am I still able to use my UK license here for the next 30 days?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollieoftheuk
.... I'm going to be applying for one, but in the interim want to hire a van to move a few things and can't get a license here until I have passed all the tests and have been given a social security number.

Am I still able to use my UK license here for the next 30 days?
For the purpose of hiring a van "probably". But FFS be careful and do anything you can to avoid an accident or otherwise attracting the attention of the police.

Without a SSN, and having been a student you could make a reasonable argument that you had not already established residence, but it's best to avoid needing to use that argument!

Also get started immediately on getting a DL, even if that only means going down to the DMV, showing your face and being turned away, so you can prove that you are actually trying/ in the process of getting a local license.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 17th 2014 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is no. Plain and simple. Anything else is arguing semantics.

Could you get away with it? Maybe, but you risk all kinds of problems if you are either caught or have a wreck - even a minor fender bender.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The answer is no. Plain and simple. Anything else is arguing semantics. .....
Out of state students are often deemed to have not established residence despite spending upto nine months of the year in state. It depends on the states rules as to if/ how this exemption might apply.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Then why are you advising the OP to avoid the attention of the police?

Either it's legal or it's not and I would err on the side of caution. Anyway, does foreign count as out of state?

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the one to test the theory!
Old Jul 18th 2014, 1:12 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Then why are you advising the OP to avoid the attention of the police?

Either it's legal or it's not and I would err on the side of caution. Anyway, does foreign count as out of state?
LOL!

BTW, quite often in the U.S. legal scheme of things, "out-of-state" and "foreign" are synonymous. That said, that is not true in common usage.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Either it's legal or it's not
If only it was that simple ...
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:16 am

..... Personally, I wouldn't want to be the one to test the theory!
That's kind of my point. Despite what many people think, the police are not experts on the finer points of the law and I wouldn't want to be ticketed and have to challenge the ticket in court, even if I knew it was issued erroneously.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's kind of my point. Despite what many people think, the police are not experts on the finer points of the law and I wouldn't want to be ticketed and have to challenge the ticket in court, even if I knew it was issued erroneously.
I drove for nearly a year on an out of state car registration and driver's license and was stopped after 6 months for speeding. The police officer never even asked how long I've been in California but did ask for my California address.

YMMV.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is no. Plain and simple. Anything else is arguing semantics.

Could you get away with it? Maybe, but you risk all kinds of problems if you are either caught or have a wreck - even a minor fender bender.
He was a student, it's one of the few exceptions of not making residency in the state.

6th of June is the issue...so over a month. Depends if he's in a state that requires you get a state license within 10/30/60/90 days as to whether he's good or in dodgy ground.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

On the flip side, the missus works with someone that had moved here from a neighbouring state, after a couple got stopped for a dead brake light. A couple of grand for not having a license/registration/plate/inspection and for invalid insurance as it didn't cover stays over 30 days in another state.

Then again, a mum down the street didn't get her state license swapped for 4 years without any issues, as she wasn't ever pulled over but then the car was registered in the state in her husbands name.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
On the flip side, the missus works with someone that had moved here from a neighbouring state, after a couple got stopped for a dead brake light. A couple of grand for not having a license/registration/plate/inspection and for invalid insurance as it didn't cover stays over 30 days in another state.

Then again, a mum down the street didn't get her state license swapped for 4 years without any issues, as she wasn't ever pulled over but then the car was registered in the state in her husbands name.
An ex-colleague was down here on a MA licence with a car on MA tags for at least six years! I suspect that is not uncommon, because while some might be visitors and others students, when I'd guess that round here 1 in 20 cars are out of state, there are plenty who are flouting the law on licenses and vehicle registrations.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Aye, you're probably right.

They made a massive push a few years ago to pull out of state plates down my way because it's easy revenue on tickets that get big quick, but also the towns lose out quite a large chunk of change on annual excise tax, especially since they tax leased car owners too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.