Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving in usa

driving in usa

Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:21 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving in usa 2

Originally Posted by glaswegian 2
Hi folks thanks for all your advice and witty comments,all i can say watch out in boston in early spring u have been warned lol, oh and yes im a celtic fan, cant miss st patricks day,big thanks 2 all u limeys lol, i c im gonnae have fun on this site.
That's the other thing... if asked tell everyone that you're a NY Yankees fan, and that the Redsox suck dicks, and only won one series in the last 100 years, meanwhile the Yanks won 26. They always get a kick out of that one.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:28 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by ironporer
That's the other thing... if asked tell everyone that you're a NY Yankees fan, and that the Redsox suck dicks, and only won one series in the last 100 years, meanwhile the Yanks won 26. They always get a kick out of that one.
LOLOL... that'll do them well in Boston ! LOLOL.

Jsut don;t mention 'the curse' when talking about sport.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:30 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
LOLOL... that'll do them well in Boston ! LOLOL.

Jsut don;t mention 'the curse' when talking about sport.

Yeah... (as a Cubs fan I can empathize with 'em)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:31 am

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

I work with a couple of redsox fans ..... IT's great to wind them up !
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:31 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Chr*st - even worse.

Go Sox !!!
(The white ones obviously)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:36 am

Default Re: driving in usa

Tip 37: Obey the speed limits (if the cops up there are as hot as they can be down here, it's too expensive not to obey them), and remeber that speed limits on the freeways aren't always as high as back home ! ........ That and if you pulled over, the cops stop BEHIND you..... - don't become a Jaspoer Carrot Cmmedy sketch and wait for them to pull round in front - they won't ! ... but they do not mind waiting for you to find somewhere nice and safe to stop.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:39 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Tip 37: Obey the speed limits (if the cops up there are as hot as they can be down here, it's too expensive not to obey them), and remeber that speed limits on the freeways aren't always as high as back home ! ........ That and if you pulled over, the cops stop BEHIND you..... - don't become a Jaspoer Carrot Cmmedy sketch and wait for them to pull round in front - they won't ! ... but they do not mind waiting for you to find somewhere nice and safe to stop.
Ours are hot here too, which makes it so much easier to 'sort this out some how', nudge nudge wink wink!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

they dont pull round in front in the UK do they? Not on motorways anyway - which makes sense!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Partystar
Ours are hot here too, which makes it so much easier to 'sort this out some how', nudge nudge wink wink!!!

OK - please tell me you're not drooling over CHIPS ? (and I'm not talking the nice little things made from potatoes).
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:10 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

OK - please tell me you're not drooling over CHIPS ? (and I'm not talking the nice little things made from potatoes).
hahaha, no, I'm just kidding!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Partystar
hahaha, no, I'm just kidding!!!
I was just teasing !
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another one, which we had out on a thread a while ago...

American Cyclists!!!

I'm not sure how many bikes you'll come across in Boston, but on the off chance that you come across a bike on your time over here a few words of advise:

- They (generally) cycle the wrong way in the road, into traffic rather than with traffic.
- Usually they will not have lights on there bikes
- Most often they will have no helmet or anything to illuminate them
- Quite often they have no interest in the rules of the road (They think that they rule the road). Stop signs are for wimps and playing chicken with cars is a buzz!!!

From a driving point of view, with reference to bikes, the following is relevent:

- Remember that the bulk of your car is on the right and give any object more room while you are getting used to driving on the right
- Driving at night, be very aware that bikes may be coming towards you with no lights on, and on your side of the road.
- Most importantly, when turning right from a junction where you do not have right of way, take a quick glance to the right BEFORE you pull out incase there is a bike coming.

Enjoy!

Go Red Sox!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:14 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

And should you visit California on your motorbike, just remember - What's good enough for the Governor is good enough for you; no need to apply for a motorcycle licence.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
And should you visit California on your motorbike, just remember - What's good enough for the Governor is good enough for you; no need to apply for a motorcycle licence.
I was told by a cop to not bother getting a motorbike license if I already had a regular license as most cops wouldn't care anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Forget EVERYTHING you were taught about mirror, signal, maneuver... in the US it generally goes Maneuver (doesn't matter if you cut someone off- they are not as important as you) then signal (only if you feel like it- if the clicking noise from the indicator annoys you don't bother) then mirror (rear view only- just to see if you are getting the finger).

Ash

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.