Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving in usa

driving in usa

Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:35 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving in usa

Oh by the way, you ARE allowed to block ALL intersections. In fact, even if the lights red and your on the intersection and NO ONE else can go because of you, don't worry... it's NORMAL in the USA......

Also, if you are in a minor accident (say if someone hits you gently from behind). Stay IN YOUR car and call the police. You might block traffic for 2 hours waiting for the police but DO NOT move your CAR. Blocking traffic for minor traffic accidents - It's NORMAL in the USA.....

When you do encounter a round-about (In Atlanta anyway). It's an all-way stop. I think it's a conspiracy but I don't know who by. Yes, in Atlanta we have a roundabout that is an ALL-way stop.. Stupid driving rules - It's NORMAL in the USA...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:45 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

After spending 10 minutes looking for the clutch and gearshift, take notice of the lever (usually on the steering colum or in between the seats) with the markings :

P R N D L
or similar (some have L1 and L2 or other letters). This is the automatic transmission shifter. The letters are for :
Park, Reverse, Nuetral, Drive, and, Low Gear.

After trying to place the car in gear for 5 minutes with no sucess, place foot on brake, then re-try putting car in gear.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:54 am
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ironporer
After spending 10 minutes looking for the clutch and gearshift, take notice of the lever (usually on the steering colum or in between the seats) with the markings :

P R N D L
or similar (some have L1 and L2 or other letters). This is the automatic transmission shifter. The letters are for :

After trying to place the car in gear for 5 minutes with no sucess, place foot on brake, then re-try putting car in gear.
Also sometimes you have to push the key into the steering column to get it out, or turn it back slightly towards ignition again.

When driving in Boston:

1. GET A MAP from the rental company - the signage is rubbish - directional and road signs.
2. Watch out for holes - I've heard various reasons for them but mainly it seems to be poor maintenance and snow ploughs causing huge car-wrecking chunks of tarmac to be gouged out of the road.
3. The I90 is your friend - If you're heading west out of the city to the nearby villages/towns then make sure to take the I90. Make sure to have some $$$s handy though - it's a toll road. It costs $3 just to leave the airport via the tunnel.
4. Watch out for merging on dual carriageways - usually you'll have taken a very slow corner to join the carriageway and then have to merge with traffic. The gotcha is that just as you're merging there might be people leaving the highway (see Clover Leaf junctions - whoever came up with that idea needs a slap).
5. When lights go green it means GO NOW! You'll get honked at if you don't use your launch control immediately - it always used to put my back up but now it's just background noise...

Be observant and drive defensively and you may get honked at a bit but should stay out of trouble.

Martin
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:56 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

P R N D L

After spending 10 minutes attempting to find steering wheel, remove self from ve-hicle, use feet to self-transport to device's left-hand door, re-enter ve-hicle and locate steering wheel.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:59 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
After spending 10 minutes attempting to find steering wheel, remove self from ve-hicle, use feet to self-transport to device's left-hand door, re-enter ve-hicle and locate steering wheel.
lol makes me laugh when they pronounce vehicle....ve-hicle...lol where oh where did they get that from
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:02 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol makes me laugh when they pronounce vehicle....ve-hicle...lol where oh where did they get that from
It's a southern thang I think.....

I just find that when I rent cars, walking away from the desk and saying "Drive on the right, drive on the right" loudly and repeatedly is fun to do as you can watch people's horror as they realise what you're saying ! h ehheheheee
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:08 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TN-Dave

I just find that when I rent cars, walking away from the desk and saying "Drive on the right, drive on the right" loudly and repeatedly is fun to do as you can watch people's horror as they realise what you're saying ! h ehheheheee

hehe must remember that one...yeah these Teksuns sure do tawk funny...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:17 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

hehe must remember that one...yeah these Teksuns sure do tawk funny...
So do the Rednecks up here ! ..... I still love the "y'aint from 'round here, are ya ?" question.......

Since I've been working here I've been accused of being: an Aussie, Scottish, old, and 'That Asian Guy'....... OK, I must have bunked off on the day we had the geography lesson at school that said England was part of Asia !

Mind you, I can't really talk - I cannot place 'Merikan accents too well sometimes - narrowing it down to a state is not too easy at times. But I can at least get the right Country or Continent !
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:33 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by glaswegian 2
HELP : I will be on vacation in Boston in march and will b driving in USA for 1st time, any advice or tips appreciated , will b driving automatic, any 1 know where i can have a lesson in Scotland prior to USA trip, any help welcome.
Boston? You poor thing.

'If you can drive over there, you can dri-ve - any-where......'...la la la...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:34 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Also. Driving an automatic is:

1. Put foot on brake.
2. Start car.
3. Put into gear.
4. Drive.

Don't forget to put your foot on the brake as it takes off as soon as you put it into gear.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:04 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up just outside of Boston...:

Originally Posted by eepgmik
1. GET A MAP from the rental company - the signage is rubbish - directional and road signs.
Total agreement. This is true in the entire Boston metro area. Figure out exactly which route you'll be taking prior to leaving.
2. Watch out for holes - I've heard various reasons for them but mainly it seems to be poor maintenance and snow ploughs causing huge car-wrecking chunks of tarmac to be gouged out of the road.
This is good advice. Gigantic canyons usually appear as a result of frost heaves. You see, it actually gets cold in Boston, winters in the UK are for pussies.
3. The I90 is your friend - If you're heading west out of the city to the nearby villages/towns then make sure to take the I90. Make sure to have some $$$s handy though - it's a toll road. It costs $3 just to leave the airport via the tunnel.
True, but only by default as it's the only major road headed west. IMO, the Pike's a relatively terrifying, high speed road with no shoulder and terrible drivers. After Newton, you're OK. Before Newton, watch out. Consider taking the Green Line or commuter rail.
4. Watch out for merging on dual carriageways - usually you'll have taken a very slow corner to join the carriageway and then have to merge with traffic. The gotcha is that just as you're merging there might be people leaving the highway (see Clover Leaf junctions - whoever came up with that idea needs a slap).
Great advice and I agree, the whole off ramp just after on ramp thing is completely absurd.
5. When lights go green it means GO NOW! You'll get honked at if you don't use your launch control immediately - it always used to put my back up but now it's just background noise...
Spoken like a man who's spent a good amount of time driving around Boston and has dealt with Massholes. Really good advice.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:11 am
Just Joined

glaswegian 2 will become famous soon enoughglaswegian 2 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: driving in usa 2

Hi folks thanks for all your advice and witty comments,all i can say watch out in boston in early spring u have been warned lol, oh and yes im a celtic fan, cant miss st patricks day,big thanks 2 all u limeys lol, i c im gonnae have fun on this site.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:15 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving in usa 2

Originally Posted by glaswegian 2
Hi folks thanks for all your advice and witty comments,all i can say watch out in boston in early spring u have been warned lol, oh and yes im a celtic fan, cant miss st patricks day,big thanks 2 all u limeys lol, i c im gonnae have fun on this site.
Good stuff mate - Get the Tiocfaidh ár lá bumper sticker on the car and you're off & running. Bummer about the loss to Clyde
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:39 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

When I first heard someone say that, I thought they had the hiccups!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:40 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave

Superb!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.