Reload this Page >

Driving in the US...grey area!

Driving in the US...grey area!

Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Nashville Bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in the US...grey area!

Hey there,

Does anyone know the rules on how to go about getting a valid driver's licence in the states?

I know that each state is different, but it seems to be a grey area across the board.

1. can I drive on my UK licence?
2. can I apply for a US licvence on the fiance visa? Do I have to get married first, and start applying for the AOS before I can apply for a licence?

My fiance works away and wants to make sure that I will be able to get around while he is out of town.

Any help would be fab.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving in the US...grey area!

Got my TN license last Monday. You can drive on your UK license for 30 days after residing in the state, then you need a state license.
I assume you can apply on K1 as it is an immigrant intent visa.
You need to take ID (Visa/passport), two proofs of your new address with your name on it (I took my "Welcome to America" letter and a letter from HMRC about my tax refund for last year.) Also, if your SSN isn't through by the time you go for the test you will need a notarised form downloadable from the DMV.

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driverlicense/classd.htm

Take a look at the study guide and pick up a free copy at the DMV when you get here.

Matt.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
Got my TN license last Monday. You can drive on your UK license for 30 days after residing in the state, then you need a state license.
I assume you can apply on K1 as it is an immigrant intent visa.
You need to take ID (Visa/passport), two proofs of your new address with your name on it (I took my "Welcome to America" letter and a letter from HMRC about my tax refund for last year.) Also, if your SSN isn't through by the time you go for the test you will need a notarised form downloadable from the DMV.

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driverlicense/classd.htm

Take a look at the study guide and pick up a free copy at the DMV when you get here.

Matt.
Thanks!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It may be a grey area across the board, but the answer is still that every state is different.

Please post the state you'll be living in for decent answers, and you should look at the state's DMV (Dept Motor Vehicles) for guidance first.

edit.. bad timing.. glad you got pointed the right way! Your case/evidence will be very different from FTMB's tho.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
It may be a grey area across the board, but the answer is still that every state is different.

Please post the state you'll be living in for decent answers, and you should look at the state's DMV (Dept Motor Vehicles) for guidance first.

edit.. bad timing.. glad you got pointed the right way! Your case/evidence will be very different from FTMB's tho.
I will be in Nashville Tennessee.

You said "Your case/evidence will be very different from FTMB's tho." - How so?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

No probs.
Test is, as everyone says, really easy. You do a vision test and a "common sense" multiple choice knowledge test on computer. (I only got 1 wrong out of 30 questions) Then there is the road test. When the Examiner got in the car she asked if I had ever held a license before, I said "Yes, for 24years in the UK". Then she said "Well, you know how to drive a car then!"
We drove for about one and a half to two miles round the block and that was it. No emergency stop, hill start, 3 point turn, reverse round a corner or parallel park.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
the answer is still that every state is different.
I assumed "Nashville" Bound would be heading for TN

edit.. bad timing.. glad you got pointed the right way!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nashville Bound
I will be in Nashville Tennessee.

You said "Your case/evidence will be very different from FTMB's tho." - How so?
He arrived on an Immigrant Visa (was made a Permanent Resident at landing); you're on a K-1, yes?

I seem to recall difficulties for Ks in Tenn.
http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driver...temporary.html

You may need to wait until you have your EAD. OR, they may issue you a license valid only for the period of your I-94 (90 days).
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

It's true, just because all the States are in America, does not mean they all have the same operating rules. Here in SC I can drive on my IL license for 90 days, but not sure if that is because I have a 'States' license already, or if that is how it is for everyone, including immigrants.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
It's true, just because all the States are in America, does not mean they all have the same operating rules. Here in SC I can drive on my IL license for 90 days, but not sure if that is because I have a 'States' license already, or if that is how it is for everyone, including immigrants.
Look at you with your 'Concierge' badge on! I could have driven on my UK licence here for 90 days too, although we both got our SC licences last week. As pointed out already, different states have different rules.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Look at you with your 'Concierge' badge on! .
Does it make my butt look big?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So what comes the badge? Do you get to pass out little BE stickers to all the newbies?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

You've seen that Geico ad featuring Abe Lincoln.....
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
So what comes the badge? Do you get to pass out little BE stickers to all the newbies?
Just a welcoming committee basicaly, I spend a lot of my free time on here anyway. The Mods are getting pretty busy keeping an eye on us lot and there are a lot of new members joining every day they can't be everywhere.

Not sure about the stickers, I was given a mop and brush, not sure what i'm s'posed to do with those
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_I
You've seen that Geico ad featuring Abe Lincoln.....
erm yeah! What you trying to say young man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.