Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the US

Driving in the US

Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US

Originally Posted by Maste
I agree. My wife always questions why I'm checking all three mirrors often! To me, I like to know where everyone is on the road, in case something happens that I need to react to. I trust myself, I don't trust MO drivers.
A few years after I took the UK driving test I took the Institute of Advanced Motorists test. I thought I was a fairly reasonable driver. Some years later I got a police advanced driving course. I quickly realized how bad of a standard the normal UK driving test is, and had badly most people drive.

I trust myself, I don't trust any other driver. I'm appalled any one in the US is even allowed to drive they are so bad.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
A few years after I took the UK driving test I took the Institute of Advanced Motorists test. I thought I was a fairly reasonable driver. Some years later I got a police advanced driving course. I quickly realized how bad of a standard the normal UK driving test is, and had badly most people drive.

I trust myself, I don't trust any other driver. I'm appalled any one in the US is even allowed to drive they are so bad.
Oh yeah, I don't trust any other American driver.... But have you been in MO? Whole other breed of drivers here
Old Mar 10th 2018, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The ONLY thing an International License is good for is a translation of a foreign one into English. As your regular license is in English to start with, you do NOT need an International one.

As for insurance, you are usually covered automatically by you future wife's policy as long as she gives permission. That will get you going to start. It's not acceptable in the long term though, you you will need to get an adjustment eventually.

The golden rule here, is DON'T accept the advice of some anonymous internet axe-murderers. Check everything out with the relevant agency to be sure.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The golden rule here, is DON'T accept the advice of some anonymous internet axe-murderers. Check everything out with the relevant agency to be sure.
And don't accept the word of employees in the DMV (or state equivalent). I went armed with knowledge and facts but they initially said I had to do something which I knew wasn't true. So I politely asked for a supervisor. "I AM the supervisor!" she spat. Thankfully somebody next to her redirected her to the correct course of action. She was not happy being corrected.

Not all DMV employees are like that, to be fair.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 6:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Hello everyone!

I’m hopefully moving over to Nebraska next month on a k-1 Visa. I’m getting married in July, until I adjust my status, am I not a resident?

I just want to know as I want to drive almost straight away when I move, I have a full UK and can get an international driving permit if needed. Just need some advice!

Thanks,

Joshua
You are a resident for purposes of obtaining a driver's license.

Originally Posted by BenK91
Essentially you're not anything. The K1 visa is one time use and once you get married it's null and void. Your NOA's from adjustment of status (and your I94) are proof that you're in the US legally until your I-485 is adjudicated.

I wasn't unable to obtain a driving license until I had NOA1 from AOS here in Colorado.
In many states, you will need an EAD to show that you are authorization to live and work in the US. In those states, usually, not always, your driver's license is only good for as long as your EAD is valid, which is normally one year. If you obtain a green card before that year is up, you can go to the motor vehicle department, should them the green card and get your driver's license for the full period of time allowed under that state's law, i.e. 5 years, 10 years, whatever.

As for your status, once you have married and filed for adjustment of status and it has been accepted for processing, you are tend considered a resident under the USCIS rules under color of law. While it appears to be a state of limbo, it is a legal status until your AOS has been adjudicated either positively or negatively.

BenK said he needed an NOA1 from USCIS to get his license while he resides in Colorado. Your NOA1 will not work for the state of New York. They demand an EAD or a valid visa in your passport. Check to see what Nebraska requires for you to be able to apply for a driver's license.

What people need to remember is that the definition of 'resident' differs from state to state and a resident in state law is not the same as permanent residency status conferred by the USCIS (federal government). You can be considered a resident by the IRS (federal government) for tax purposes without having a green card.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 11th 2018 at 6:07 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
And don't accept the word of employees in the DMV (or state equivalent). I went armed with knowledge and facts but they initially said I had to do something which I knew wasn't true. So I politely asked for a supervisor. "I AM the supervisor!" she spat. Thankfully somebody next to her redirected her to the correct course of action. She was not happy being corrected.

Not all DMV employees are like that, to be fair.
Same happened to me, the one DMV person insisted I drive with a vehicle permit as a rental car couldn't be used to take the test

The next day I went to a different DMV in the rental and took the test fine

My latest is that they've only issued my new licence for just one year as the Green Card expires at the end of this year even though my status continues after the card expires