Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the US

Driving in the US

Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US

Indeed, just emphasizing it is even more important - I have never known so much tailgating.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:57 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Another tip I was dun learned by my driving instructor. Put your rear-view mirror at a slightly off ankle, so you have to adjust your head to see behind you. The head movements will alert the examiner that you are indeed frequently using your mirror.

Remember, kids; mirror, signal, maneuver, mirror.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:13 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Isn't that something else you should already have been doing continuously?
Around here, some folks spend so much time looking behind them that they have no idea what’s right in front of them.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Another tip I was dun learned by my driving instructor. Put your rear-view mirror at a slightly off ankle, .....
How exactly do you position yourself in the driving seat?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How exactly do you position yourself in the driving seat?
We live in CO. It's basically the law to own a Prius with some sort of "Respect Life/Co-Exist or Free Tibet" sticker, be high as a kite and tailgate the car in front of you to within 1mm of the front bumper.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
I do not get the Jaywalking thing at all - it's the country of the free, that goes into a National strop when gun controls are discussed, how on earth did they get themselves into a position where Police provide a ticket if you cross the road safely!!!!!
Because in the 1910s and 1920s as pedestrian deaths increased and people began to wonder about the safety of motor vehicles, the auto manufacturers lobbied for jay-walking laws to put the blame on the pedestrians. It's only the land of the free for corporations...

BTW, jay-walking is illegal in NYC too, although hardly ever enforced. A friend was arrested for it when he had the misfortune to be near a BLM demo. He spent the night in the cells but the case was dismissed when it went to court.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Erm... good point. Follow the Green Cross Code. Look left(right), right(left), then left(right) again. Now it's safe to cross. Cross briskly, continuing to look left and right.

Note. This applies to crossing the street too. And jaywalking really is enforced at some places. A friend got a ticket in Atlanta for crossing from the Residence Inn to the Albertsons grocery store directory opposite. The cop wanted the guy to walk to the intersection - probably a 1/4 mile away - and then walk back on the other side. Way to add a mile to a hundred yard journey.

And you'll love the 'chicken lane'. Bwah ha ha ha.
There is no "jaywalking law" in GA, so your friend was more likely cited for not being on a crosswalk and not yielding to vehicles.

https://www.gahighwaysafety.org/camp...t-pedestrians/
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:54 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Doubting my veracity, sir? Here's the spot.
Apparently the Albertsons turned into a "hhgregg."

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8850...7i13312!8i6656

His name was Morgan Chow. If you scroll either way, you will not see an intersection for quite a distance either way.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

I do not get the Jaywalking thing at all - it's the country of the free, that goes into a National strop when gun controls are discussed, how on earth did they get themselves into a position where Police provide a ticket if you cross the road safely!!!!!
Maybe to avoid a suit when someone gets hit while jaywalking? I remember when Guiliani tried to give out jaywalking tickets in NYC back in the 80s. A cop stopped me and was embarrassed to redirect my path. Didn't last long.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Doubting my veracity, sir? Here's the spot.
Apparently the Albertsons turned into a "hhgregg."

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8850...7i13312!8i6656

His name was Morgan Chow. If you scroll either way, you will not see an intersection for quite a distance either way.
No, just pointing out, as per my link, that there is no such thing as a jaywalking law in GA. I would never choose to cross a road like that.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pulaski;12458197]

My eyes flick over the rear view mirror every few seconds. /QUOTE]
Until you wrote that, I didn't realize that I do that also.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 1:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
Until you wrote that, I didn't realize that I do that also.
You can usually tell the drivers that do, through the precise position of the RV mirror (from behind you can see their eyes centered in it), and by the way they drive. I would guess that fewer than a quarter of drivers in the US make adequate use of the RV mirror.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 8th 2018 at 2:07 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of the benefits of the learning process in the UK, pushed on you until it becomes a subconscious action.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of the benefits of the learning process in the UK, pushed on you until it becomes a subconscious action.
I agree. My wife always questions why I'm checking all three mirrors often! To me, I like to know where everyone is on the road, in case something happens that I need to react to. I trust myself, I don't trust MO drivers.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Hello everyone!

I’m hopefully moving over to Nebraska next month on a k-1 Visa. I’m getting married in July, until I adjust my status, am I not a resident?

I just want to know as I want to drive almost straight away when I move, I have a full UK and can get an international driving permit if needed. Just need some advice!

Thanks,

Joshua

Your international licence will be worthless here, take the driving test and be done with it. You can drive on your UK licence for at least 30 days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.