Reload this Page >

Driving in the US

Driving in the US

Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in the US

Hello!

I’m hopefully moving to Nebraska in April and was wondering what the steps would be to obtain a driving permit? I have a license and have had it for 5 years (UK).

Do I have to apply for one at the DMV? And what are the best insurance companies to start with when I move?

Thanks!

Joshua
Old Jan 28th 2018, 9:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US

Unfortunately your GB driving licence is no good to you as a US resident as there is no reciprocal exchange process in place in any of the 50 states for GB licence holders. You'll need to obtain a Nebraska Learner's Permit from the DMV and start the testing process from scratch to obtain your Operator's License. These links should help get you started:

https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dl/new-nebr...vers-licensing

https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dl/learners-permit
Old Jan 28th 2018, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Hello!

I’m hopefully moving to Nebraska in April and was wondering what the steps would be to obtain a driving permit?
You are starting from scratch. It isn't actually hard at all. You need to study briefly for a computer based test, pass that (took me three minutes) book the "test", wait a week or two for a slot, drive round the block, stop at a stop sign and you get a licence.

I drove to my test in my rental car.

Steve
Old Jan 28th 2018, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah when I sat my Kentucky test I would have had to try and fail it. The written portion was answer a few questions on a screen (What do you at a red light type stuff).

UK license doesn't count for anything, some insurers may consider it. There is a company called Sunrise group that does good rates for expats.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Driving test is straight forward. My suggestion is go for a rural DMV... Shouldn't be too hard in NE.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Also make sure to take your I-94 and any other immigration documentation. Be prepared to ask for a supervisor or take any information showing your visa makes you eligible to obtain a driving license as many DMV staff are unaware.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
You are starting from scratch. It isn't actually hard at all. You need to study briefly for a computer based test, pass that (took me three minutes) book the "test", wait a week or two for a slot, drive round the block, stop at a stop sign and you get a licence.

I drove to my test in my rental car. ....
The non-driving ("written"/ computer) part of the test varies from state to state, so you should check what Nebraska requires - New York, for example, mandates five hours of classroom education! Then download a copy of the Nebraska Drivers manual from the Nebraska DMV website, and read it carefully, paying attention to things like drink driving limits and penalties, speeds and stopping distances, warning signs (railroad, school, etc), and when to stop for a school bus* as these are areas that commonly over-represnted on the computer test.

* Passing a school bus, in either direction, that has stopped to allow children to board or alight us taken very seriously in the US - moreso than drink-driving, it would seem.

The actual road test is universally a joke in the US. Anyone with a British license should find the US state road tests extremely easy - just remember to stop at STOP signs and red lights, and try not to run over more than one pedestrian and you'll be fine. (I may have been joking about the last bit re the test, but then again looking at the standard of driving I see every day, perhaps I wasn't joking. )

I also used a rental car for my test, .... well actually it was an SUV!

Per Tom's advice, I agree, getting a test in a rural area will likely be easier than in a city. .... Some states/ locations don't take appointments for tests, you just show up and wait in line for a test.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 29th 2018 at 3:49 am.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice! I’ll be living in Omaha so I will have to look for a rural DMV, shouldn’t be too hard I’m sure lol.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Thanks for the advice! I’ll be living in Omaha so I will have to look for a rural DMV, shouldn’t be too hard I’m sure lol.
Been to Omaha more times than I can remember. It's a decent small city. But you're right, it doesn't take long to be in the country again.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:13 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

When I took mine in Fl the clown in front of me rather than doing a 3 point turn outside the office decided to mount the pavement /curb to turn around his huge F350 truck.
He was so pissed that he failed the test.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
When I took mine in Fl the clown in front of me rather than doing a 3 point turn outside the office decided to mount the pavement /curb to turn around his huge F350 truck.
He was so pissed that he failed the test.
I didn't do one at all. Or anything else actually. I did four right-turns (six if you count exiting/entering the parking lot).
Old Jan 30th 2018, 4:37 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

My test official was so enamored of my English accent we literally just drove around and chatted for a bit and then she said I'd passed. I don't remember her even giving me any instructions! This was in Phoenix. Not hard to pass in Arizona...all the roads are in a grid.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

My test was conducted by someone that looked, and smelt like Jim Morrison. I did about 6/8 right turns and stopped back in the parking lot and that was it..

You'll soon realize why the quality of driving in the US is significantly lower than back home!
Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:31 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
My test was conducted by someone that looked, and smelt like Jim Morrison.
You'd think the smell would have gone by now.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Two right turns, two left turns and a reverse into a coned off space.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.