British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-us-119375/)

lasmus31 Nov 30th 2002 12:57 am

Driving in the US
 
Hi All,

Does anyone know how long you can drive on a UK driving licence in the US before having to take the US driving test? Some sites say 30 days some 60? Anyone know where I should phone to find out?

Lisa :0)

steppke Nov 30th 2002 1:03 am

Hi,

Seems to depend on which state you're in. I'm in California and it's 10 days from when you officially take up residence - minds seem to differ on when the clock starts ticking on that one. I would call the local DMV and/or the local Police department and compare answers!

good luck

lasmus31 Nov 30th 2002 1:07 am

Hi Step,

We are in Iowa until next week and then off to Delaware .. I'd like to share the driving on the trip ... guess I'll make some calls tomorrow morning.

Lisa :0)

Rete Nov 30th 2002 1:40 am


Originally posted by lasmus31
Hi Step,

We are in Iowa until next week and then off to Delaware .. I'd like to share the driving on the trip ... guess I'll make some calls tomorrow morning.

Lisa :0)

Lisa

As you are not yet a legal resident in any one state your UK license should be good to share the driving on the trip to Delaware. Once you are in your apartment in Delaware the timeline depends on the State's driving statutes.

From the DMV Delaware site:

“This procedure will be in place on an interim basis until the Delaware General Assembly has had the opportunity to consider pending legislation that will strengthen Delaware’s laws for obtaining Delaware driver’s licenses and ID cards,� said DMV Director Michael D. Shahan.
Requirements for customers who are U.S. citizens remain the same. Applicants must present a certified U.S. birth certificate or photo driver’s license, proof of social security number and two proofs of Delaware residency to obtain a driver’s license or identification card."

http://www.delaware.gov/agencies/DMV/Driver_Services/Drivers_License/dr_lic_gen_req

Rete

JuMu Nov 30th 2002 5:22 am


Originally posted by Rete
As you are not yet a legal resident in any one state your UK license should be good to share the driving on the trip to Delaware.

When do you become a legal resident? Am I legal resident with receiving my EAD or SSN, or does my name on the postbox make me a legal resident?

The reason I'm asking is, that I actually don't dare to move a car.
State law here is that you can use your foreign drivers license just for 3 weeks.
On the other hand I need a SSN to get a WA State drivers license.
I just applied for it, but due to changings in the process of receiving a SSN it will take another 4-6 weeks until I have one.

Does that mean I'm currently not allowed to drive?

Thanks
JuMu

Folinskyinla Nov 30th 2002 6:43 am


Originally posted by JuMu
When do you become a legal resident? Am I legal resident with receiving my EAD or SSN, or does my name on the postbox make me a legal resident?

The reason I'm asking is, that I actually don't dare to move a car.
State law here is that you can use your foreign drivers license just for 3 weeks.
On the other hand I need a SSN to get a WA State drivers license.
I just applied for it, but due to changings in the process of receiving a SSN it will take another 4-6 weeks until I have one.

Does that mean I'm currently not allowed to drive?

Thanks
JuMu

Hi:

You get a D/L from the STATE of your residence. It is possible to be a "lawful permanent resident" [the "green card"] for immigration purposes and not have residence in any state.

ukemigrant Dec 1st 2002 7:07 am

Re: Driving in the US
 

Originally posted by lasmus31
Hi All,

Does anyone know how long you can drive on a UK driving licence in the US before having to take the US driving test? Some sites say 30 days some 60? Anyone know where I should phone to find out?

Lisa :0)

Folks I was just checking the Pennsylvania website http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/licensing_master/identity.shtml and it says if you have a valid international driving license and a valid International Driving Permit you can drive for up to 1 year before needing a PA Driver's permit. Maybe the other states operate similarly when you drill down into their websites....

Cheers, Sam.

Denis Barlow Dec 1st 2002 2:59 pm

Re: Driving in the US
 
On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 08:07:39 +0000, ukemigrant
wrote:

    >Originally posted by lasmus31
    >> Hi All,
    >> Does anyone know how long you can drive on a UK driving licence in the
    >> US before having to take the US driving test? Some sites say 30 days
    >> some 60? Anyone know where I should phone to find out?
    >> Lisa :0)
    >Folks I was just checking the Pennsylvania website
    >http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/licensing...identity.shtml and it says
    >if you have a valid international driving license and a valid
    >International Driving Permit you can drive for up to 1 year before
    >needing a PA Driver's permit. Maybe the other states operate similarly
    >when you drill down into their websites....
    >Cheers, Sam.

Hi Sam,

The PA website also says:-

All new residents must obtain a Pennsylvania Driver’s License within
60 days after moving to Pennsylvania.

This would be the section that applies, leaving it any longer would
leave you open to prosecution.

Denis
Denis
______________________________________________

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Mrs_blackross Dec 1st 2002 3:01 pm

Re: Driving in the US
 
that may apply for someone who is not making their residence in PA, but for
someone who has moved there (immigrant or not), they must apply for a
Pennsylvania license within 60 days of setting up residence.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/index.shtml

also look at the "new residents" section of the link you posted below.

most states have the same rules...if you are in the state temporarily, you
can use your international/foreign license for several months, but if you
are in the state and RESIDING there (even if you are on a nonimmigrant
visa), you must comply with the local laws and obtain a local state driver's
license within a given time period. The key is finding out when the state
considers you a resident. The individual states do not care what status INS
considers you, they only care whether or not you are residing there and have
their own rules to decide. Once the state considers you a resident, you
must get a local state license within their given time period. Generally,
the grace period is 30-60 days, and this applies to all states, not just
Pennsylvania. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance of being pulled over
and presenting my old foreign license. There was someone who posted here
recently who was "residing" in the US temporarily for a couple years, and
was pulled over. He presented his foreign license and was charged with
driving without a license and the issue of resident vs non resident are
discussed at length.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...&th=ab01ba8f63
65aad6&seekm=452839.1035387074%40britishexpats.com #link1
if the link doesn't work, copy/paste it into your browser.


"ukemigrant" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by lasmus31
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how long you can drive on a UK driving licence in the
    > > US before having to take the US driving test? Some sites say 30 days
    > > some 60? Anyone know where I should phone to find out?
    > >
    > > Lisa :0)
    > Folks I was just checking the Pennsylvania website
    > http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/licensing...identity.shtml and it says
    > if you have a valid international driving license and a valid
    > International Driving Permit you can drive for up to 1 year before
    > needing a PA Driver's permit. Maybe the other states operate similarly
    > when you drill down into their websites....
    > Cheers, Sam.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Mrtravel Dec 1st 2002 6:48 pm

Re: Driving in the US
 
ukemigrant wrote:

    >
    > Folks I was just checking the Pennsylvania website
    > http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/licensing...identity.shtml and it says
    > if you have a valid international driving license and a valid
    > International Driving Permit you can drive for up to 1 year before
    > needing a PA Driver's permit.

That is true by international treaty, but it only applies to visitors.
If you are living here, it does not apply to you.

Rete Dec 1st 2002 8:00 pm

Re: Driving in the US
 

Originally posted by lasmus31
Hi All,

Does anyone know how long you can drive on a UK driving licence in the US before having to take the US driving test? Some sites say 30 days some 60? Anyone know where I should phone to find out?

Lisa :0)

Lisa

I did note on the Delaware DMV website that they make special concessions for military personnel's family members. But since you don't have a state license from another US state, don't know if those concessions will apply to you. Doesn't hurt to call them or visit in person and ask.

Rete

ukemigrant Dec 2nd 2002 5:16 am

Re: Driving in the US
 

Originally posted by Mrs_blackross
that may apply for someone who is not making their residence in PA, but for
someone who has moved there (immigrant or not), they must apply for a
Pennsylvania license within 60 days of setting up residence.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/index.shtml

also look at the "new residents" section of the link you posted below.

most states have the same rules...if you are in the state temporarily, you
can use your international/foreign license for several months, but if you
are in the state and RESIDING there (even if you are on a nonimmigrant
visa), you must comply with the local laws and obtain a local state driver's
license within a given time period. The key is finding out when the state
considers you a resident. The individual states do not care what status INS
considers you, they only care whether or not you are residing there and have
their own rules to decide. Once the state considers you a resident, you
must get a local state license within their given time period. Generally,
the grace period is 30-60 days, and this applies to all states, not just
Pennsylvania. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance of being pulled over
and presenting my old foreign license. There was someone who posted here
recently who was "residing" in the US temporarily for a couple years, and
was pulled over. He presented his foreign license and was charged with
driving without a license and the issue of resident vs non resident are
discussed at length.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...&th=ab01ba8f63
65aad6&seekm=452839.1035387074%40britishexpats.com #link1
if the link doesn't work, copy/paste it into your browser.


"ukemigrant" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by lasmus31
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how long you can drive on a UK driving licence in the
    > > US before having to take the US driving test? Some sites say 30 days
    > > some 60? Anyone know where I should phone to find out?
    > >
    > > Lisa :0)
    > Folks I was just checking the Pennsylvania website
    > http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/licensing...identity.shtml and it says
    > if you have a valid international driving license and a valid
    > International Driving Permit you can drive for up to 1 year before
    > needing a PA Driver's permit. Maybe the other states operate similarly
    > when you drill down into their websites....
    > Cheers, Sam.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Thanks Mrs Blackross. I saw that bit, but assumed the 1 year applied to me. I read the link too - very useful. At least PA gives me 60 days...

Cheers, Sam.

lasmus31 Dec 3rd 2002 3:59 pm

Thanks Guys ...

The local Police told me 30 days until I am resident in a state (i.e. have an address) ... Delaware here we come!


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:09 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.