Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the UK on a US permit

Driving in the UK on a US permit

Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving in the UK on a US permit

What are the rules about a UK national driving in the UK on a US driving permit ? Are you allowed to if you never held a UK driving licence ?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in the UK on a US permit

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
What are the rules about a UK national driving in the UK on a US driving permit ? Are you allowed to if you never held a UK driving licence ?
Yes, you can use it for 12 months. Your nationality is irrelevent for the purpose of driving on a foreign license.

The only thing that would prevent you doing this would be if you have been banned from driving in the UK. You can't lose your English license and then use your foreign one to carry on driving. Obviously this doesn't apply to you, but I include it as a bit of trivia.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:43 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

your insurance premiums will be much higher than the average Joe. almost twice as much.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:34 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
Yes, you can use it for 12 months. Your nationality is irrelevent for the purpose of driving on a foreign license.
Where did you get your information from?

If you're British (or any foreign nationality) and a resident of the US, I can't think of any US state that allows you to continue to drive on a British license for as long as a year.

<<snip>> [/QUOTE]
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin

If you're British (or any foreign nationality) and a resident of the US, I can't think of any US state that allows you to continue to drive on a British license for as long as a year.

<<snip>>
[/QUOTE]
Unlike you to not read the question properly...
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

<<snip>>
[/QUOTE]

The question is about driving in the UK on a US license. I got my information from the DVLA (www.dvla.gov.uk).
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Unlike you to not read the question properly... [/QUOTE]

So, I misread the original post. Who, do you think you are, Pulaski?

The original post would be more appropriate for the Moving Back to the UK forum or perhaps, the Lounge...
Old Feb 17th 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I asked from a we are thinking of going home for Xmas & were wondering what kinda angle.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:44 am
Just Joined

leedspaddy1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey folks, I came up against this question when I came to the US five years ago. You are allowed to drive in the US on an international driving license accompanied by your regular british license for upto 1 full year if you are residing in the US. If you are only visiting for a couple of weeks then your regular bristish license will suffice. This is what I was told by AA before I came to the States. When I got here, I asked the AAA and it basically works the same way in the UK. They advise getting an international drivers license but you will be able to drive on your American driver's license.................think about it..all of the car rental places accept foreign licences.

I wouldn't worry mate.
cheers
Patrick
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leedspaddy1971
Hey folks, I came up against this question when I came to the US five years ago. You are allowed to drive in the US on an international driving license accompanied by your regular british license for upto 1 full year if you are residing in the US. If you are only visiting for a couple of weeks then your regular bristish license will suffice. This is what I was told by AA before I came to the States. When I got here, I asked the AAA and it basically works the same way in the UK. They advise getting an international drivers license but you will be able to drive on your American driver's license.................think about it..all of the car rental places accept foreign licences.

I wouldn't worry mate.
cheers
Patrick
What's that got to do with driving in Australia with a French driving license?

Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:05 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

<<snip>>
[/QUOTE]

Not related to thread but FYI New Jersey does let you drive on a UK license for 1 Year
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurrah, finally a legally qualified driver ! Pissed the test this morning at 9 am EST, time to let the Zider flow.....

Seen a 1970 Triumph Spitfire for sale in the local rag, ONLY $ 5 500, now as the good lady wife wants to spend $ 10-15 k financing a 2nd vehicle ( with the emphasis on the H when pronouncing that word, she is from indiana.....) I said that I was saving her upto $ 10k potentially if we got the Spitfire ( White, convertable, 4 speed manual gearstick & BRITISH !!!! )
Do youthink she appreciated the gesture ? Hell no, why is it women never understand that whilst yes technically I have always lusted after a triumph Spitfire, I am still doing this for her benefit ??