Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving with a UK License in the States

Driving with a UK License in the States

Old Apr 18th 2003, 6:27 am
Just Joined

ukdesign is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Driving with a UK License in the States

I have check out the US Embassy of London Website for information on driving in the US, see below link.

Link to US Embassy

What confuses me... is that I am filing for AOS as I married a USC and at the moment am still on my F1-OPT. However, they will not renew my previous US license for reasons I wont go into... although I dont know why

Does this mean I cannot drive with my UK license as a visitor to the country ? A lady I spoke with at the DMV said I was authorized to use my license for up to a year as long as I have another photo ID on hand.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find it is different from state to state. I believe that here in California, if you do not have a valid visa you can not renew your US licence. That happened to us.

However, once you get a visa I think you only have 1 month to use your international/UK licence, then you must get a local licence.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Most States have a 30 day residency rule. If you are a resident of that State you have 30 days to get a local License (You live there, work , vote, school etc) International/British license is good for 1 year, only as a visitor. If your US License has a PROBLEM/BLEMISH, that problem will move with you, from state to state. I.e if you get banned in one State & you go to another State, you cannot get a License.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

brisray is an unknown quantity at this point

As I understand it, here in Indiana, you can't get a drivers licence without a Social Security Number.

I moved here in Sept. 2001 and only got my residency interview on 10th April 2003, still haven't got it finalized because of the namechecks and don't know how long that will take. I can't get a SSN until then.

I've been using my British driving licence since I got here and haven't met with any real problems. A policeman in Georgia didn't quite know what to do when he asked for it last year and earlier this year I used it to hire a car in Florida.

Ray
Old Apr 20th 2003, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

This is the email response I received from the DMV.

In response to your question regarding your eligibility to drive in our state with a driver's license issued in the United Kingdom, this is to advise that as long as you have a valid driver's license issued in your country of origin, a foreign citizen can drive in South Carolina for a period of one year. However, if you own a vehicle and it is registered in our state, you must also apply for a South Carolina driver's license, since you have established residency in our state. I suggest that you also contact S.C. Law Enforcement Officials to inquire about this matter.

I have heard that if you do get stopped by the local enforcement, you do not get any points but you have to pay a rather extraordinary fine on the spot. And you have to pay cash. Wow... is all I can say!
Old Apr 21st 2003, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

brisray is an unknown quantity at this point

Just after I posted my last message, I decided to check exactly what I needed for a driving licence in Indiana (from http://www.ai.org/bmv/driverlicense/idreq.html ) as the rules were changed a couple of weeks ago, 1st March 2003 to be exact.

There are a couple of important points (other states might vary)

For issuance of a new Driver License or Permit, the applicant MUST provide proof of his/her Social Security Number.

BMV Social Security Affidavit (only to be used by an applicant who is attesting that they have never been issued a Social Security Number)

Out of Country Licenses are no longer accepted as identification or proof of driving experience.

An applicant submitting VALID INS documentation who does not already have a valid License from another U.S. State or U.S. Territory must start with an Indiana Learner Permit. The applicant must hold the permit for a period of at least sixty (60) days before being eligible to apply for an Indiana Driver License.

Looks like I'll be having to take the Indiana driving test in a couple of months then doesn't it?
Old Apr 21st 2003, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Yes. Social Security card is VITAL to obtain/renew your US license. However, since I have a valid EAD do I need to submit a letter from an employer to be issued a new one ? I am unemployed at the moment... it doesnt make sense.

Old Apr 21st 2003, 3:58 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just returned from Florida. Whilst there we went to the driving license center and enquired about our license for when we move over in 5 weeks. We were told that a social security number is not essential in Florida. We just need to bring our passports and UK driving license.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

sorry if this is a 'stupid' question but I am taking my driving test in 1 month exactly. We are due to move to US before September this year. If I pass (fingers crossed!) and get a Uk licence, I would only have held it 4 months max by the time we move. Would i need to take another test in the US or is it a case of just transfering from uk to us licence.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 4:08 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

You will have to take another test when you arrive. Each state has it's own criteria
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

NO-WAY!!!! Is that because I would be a 'new' driver??? Or would my husband do the same? (He's had a UK license for 15 years)
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 5:05 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Both you and your husband will need to take another test. Which state are you moving to?
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter how long a UK driver has had their licence, you are most likely going to have to do the practical test in most states.

That said, don't get yourself into a lather over it. Test here in California was so easy, anyone who didn't pass the first time doesn't deserve to have a licence. Basically they plonked you in the car, you had to show them where the indicator was, do all the hand signals, then go for a drive for 10 minutes thru a local neighbourhood. Main thing was to ensure not to exceed the speed limit. Piece of cake, nothing difficult like parallel parking.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are moving to MA. I asked a friend of mine in MA and they said it would probably only be a written test. Don't know if this is true. Sounds like the practical isn't such a big deal anyway, thankfully.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Default OK...reason for this post is not about obtaining a US license..

Actually the reason for this post in the first place is to help others find an alternative solution to obtaining/renewing their US license. i.e. If you can ACTUALLY use a UK license to drive in the States temporarily.

Apparently, you can for under a year as long as you are a visitor.. I wanted to ask those that have about their experience... please stick to the subject if possible. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.