Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving on a UK license in Florida - problems and helpful tips?

Driving on a UK license in Florida - problems and helpful tips?

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving on a UK license in Florida - problems and helpful tips?

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yeah that's a bad idea. The locks have a tendency to rust and they then snap and allow the hooks to fly off. I have seen multiple cases of this shattering the windshields of divers behind you. I remove mine when not in use.
Huh? It is solid metal and may rust in, say, 500 years. It is not 'snapping off'.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
Precisely why I have a prominent tow hitch on my F150. Makes people think twice before tailgating too closely.
We were coming out of our local Harbor Freight and we watched a truck back into a parking spot and hit the front bumper of our Ram truck. He saw us coming toward him and realised it was our truck he had bumped with his tow hitch and he took off!

Minimal damage, just a hitch sized dent in the middle of the metal bumper
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
We were coming out of our local Harbor Freight and we watched a truck back into a parking spot and hit the front bumper of our Ram truck. He saw us coming toward him and realised it was our truck he had bumped with his tow hitch and he took off!

Minimal damage, just a hitch sized dent in the middle of the metal bumper
I have a 360 degree camera package, which I was kind of oh-um about before I had it It is absolutely fantastic. Now I would never buy a truck without one.
Old Feb 4th 2022, 12:16 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I was the same about the camera. Thought it was dumb until I had it--will never go back now.

As for the testing, I would recommend the "Rules of the Road" for Florida. You won't have any problem with the driving test, but the written test may have some random questions you need to brush up on. There are a few specific laws like "Move Over Laws" (move one lane over if you see an emergency vehicle on the side of the road) that are basically common sense but incorporated into law.