Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health coverage for a returning UK/US citizen.

Health coverage for a returning UK/US citizen.

Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health coverage for a returning UK/US citizen.

Hello,

My wife and I will be relocating to the US early 2018 (i am the dual citizen and my wife will be on a GC) and I have started putting the feelers out on temporary health insurance. I've been looking on a comparison site called visitors coverage. It seems that if you are a US citizen your options are quite limited and it seems more expensive but if I put myself as a UK citizen the choice is vast and the cost not too crazy.

My question is when we get temporary health care should I be covered as a US citizen or can I select UK? It seems that if I'm going to be living in the states I should go the US citizen route but choice is limited and more expensive. What are my options health care wise as a US citizen newly returning stateside? Obamacare?

Many Thanks.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health coverage for a returning UK/US citizen.

If you are a US citizen then you must use that citizenship on US official documents.

What are the circumstances of your return to the US, do you have a jobs and how old are you both?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful not to confuse citizen with resident.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
What are the circumstances of your return to the US, do you have a jobs and how old are you both?
I am returning with my wife with the view to have a few years of something different before its too late and then return to the UK. My wife may have a job before we go or very soon after and I will find work when we arrive. Were both early 40's, no pre-existing conditions, non-smokers, very light drinkers and in good health. So there is a good chance we will need temporary health insurance which for my wife seems straight forward but not for me so much.

Originally Posted by mrken30
Be careful not to confuse citizen with resident.
I will be a returning citizen but what dictates residency? An apartment or is it just a time scale thing?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
I will be a returning citizen but what dictates residency? An apartment or is it just a time scale thing?
It varies by application. Rule for healthcare residency may be different to tax residency. It's best to try and find the requirements for the particular insurance you are looking at.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

My wife and I will be relocating to the US early 2018 (i am the dual citizen and my wife will be on a GC) and I have started putting the feelers out on temporary health insurance. I've been looking on a comparison site called visitors coverage. It seems that if you are a US citizen your options are quite limited and it seems more expensive but if I put myself as a UK citizen the choice is vast and the cost not too crazy.

My question is when we get temporary health care should I be covered as a US citizen or can I select UK? It seems that if I'm going to be living in the states I should go the US citizen route but choice is limited and more expensive. What are my options health care wise as a US citizen newly returning stateside? Obamacare?

Many Thanks.
You are not a visitor so I think that is why you are getting limited results when you indicate that you are a US citizen.

You can check on healthcare.gov (or your state's exchange if they have one) or you can check direct with the insurers that operate in your state.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information. I guess my worry is that I need some kind of health insurance once my foot touches US soil so I’m hoping I can organise something before I leave the UK. Would it be ok to use some kind of holiday insurance until I can sort a US policy out? Technically I’m not going to the US on holiday but to live so I can see that being an issue.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information. I guess my worry is that I need some kind of health insurance once my foot touches US soil so I’m hoping I can organise something before I leave the UK. Would it be ok to use some kind of holiday insurance until I can sort a US policy out? Technically I’m not going to the US on holiday but to live so I can see that being an issue.
No, the "small print" on travel policies normally have a condition that you are resident where you are leaving from.

I was able to arrange my US insurance from the UK before I moved, but that was a long time ago.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 8:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Realistically, be prepared to wing it for a few days, until you have arrived and can get ACA coverage. Obviously it isn't ideal, but anything else may be wasted money because any claim for reimbursement would likely fail.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is new immigrant travel insurance but that is pretty crap, and doubt a YUSC could apply for it. Think ACA takes a bit longer than a few days to get.

Could you be covered by your wife's arrangements?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information. If I were to approach one of the big health insurance companies in the US prior to going (or specifically Florida, California or Texas) what would you recommend? I think I was with Blue Cross in 1999 in Washington State and they seemed to be ok.

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I was able to arrange my US insurance from the UK before I moved, but that was a long time ago.
Who did you go with? And are you still with the same provider?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Who did you go with? And are you still with the same provider? Thanks.
My temporary was with Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA. Coincidentally I am still with them because that is who my employer uses.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
My temporary was with Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA. Coincidentally I am still with them because that is who my employer uses.
If I recall correctly I think my Blue Cross cover was through my employer.

What I'm really after is emergency care cover ONLY and that's all I want. I have not been to the doctor for a serious reason my whole adult life and if a serious non-emergency condition were to arise in myself or wife we would be on the first plane back to the UK anyway.

Is it possible to get cover similar to travel insurance but through a US health care company for a US citizen or does it have to be all singing and all dancing?

Thank You.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in a similar situation a long time ago I used Medibroker International health insurance made simple | Medibroker to buy a temporary plan that would cover me no matter which state I was in (when we first arrived we spent 6 months driving around the US with no home).

You could also look at ehealth.com?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

if a serious non-emergency condition were to arise in myself or wife we would be on the first plane back to the UK anyway.

You said you were relocating to the US -- in that case, you will no longer be a UK resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.