Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in Texas

Driving in Texas

Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving in Texas

I'm not sure what would happen if you drove up in your borrowed car and then failed the test (which is hard to do). You might want to bring the friend too, so that the DPS Officer doesn't then see you driving off.

I would recommend that you study the theory portion of the test, which is usually taken multiple-choice style on a PC. The questions - and answers -are rather different from those in the UK, and generally focus on the vehicle's performance when operated by a drunk, drugged-up 16 year-old.

http://international.tamu.edu/iss/ch...nse_Rev05C.doc

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Actually, could you borrow a friend's? If your friend has insurance it should cover the *car* as long as it is driven with permission by a licenced driver.

You can buy a car without having to prove insurance. Your insurance company will give you temporary cover and proof of insurance for said car (which you will also need to take the driving test), you take the test, and as soon as you get your licence, you phone the insurance company with your new DL number.

Shop around for insurance; many agents in Texas have loads of experience with immigrants and anyone who wants your business should be able to walk you through this. I use State Farm.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all

I would like to thank all for the useful (and humerous) replies.. I think I will get my lawnmower ready (with appropriate plates) for the test and fingers crossed, can pass before I spill my beer in my lap.

regards all

Garry
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neojynx
I would like to thank all for the useful (and humerous) replies.. I think I will get my lawnmower ready (with appropriate plates) for the test and fingers crossed, can pass before I spill my beer in my lap.

regards all

Garry
good luck garry although you wont need it.....piece of pi$$
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

regards all

Garry
Good Luck, I can't see you needing it though. When I took the theory test, the kid in the booth next to me was on his cell phone getting the answers from a friend and no-one seemed to be taking any notice.

Also, if you don't know a question you can pass it and it doesn't always come back, I seem to remember passing a couple and getting different questions in their place. I think you have to get 70% of the questions right to pass the test, but it's three years ago since I did mine so I might be wrong.

I did get one of the little booklets a little like the highway code and had a scan through the drink drive stuff etc, there was questions about legal limits etc.

The driving test was so easy I still can't believe it. I drove around the block, that is it, probably about five minutes, no emergency stops, reverse parking or anything like that. We set off, drove around one block, the guy told me I was a good driver, had me pull up outside the office and let him out and told me I'd passed.

I think my husband did have to reverse park, but his test still only took a few minutes. It's a bit scary how easy it is really and probably is the answer to why we saw so many wrecks in our area while we lived there
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:51 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Good Luck, I can't see you needing it though. When I took the theory test, the kid in the booth next to me was on his cell phone getting the answers from a friend and no-one seemed to be taking any notice.

Also, if you don't know a question you can pass it and it doesn't always come back, I seem to remember passing a couple and getting different questions in their place. I think you have to get 70% of the questions right to pass the test, but it's three years ago since I did mine so I might be wrong.

I did get one of the little booklets a little like the highway code and had a scan through the drink drive stuff etc, there was questions about legal limits etc.

The driving test was so easy I still can't believe it. I drove around the block, that is it, probably about five minutes, no emergency stops, reverse parking or anything like that. We set off, drove around one block, the guy told me I was a good driver, had me pull up outside the office and let him out and told me I'd passed.

I think my husband did have to reverse park, but his test still only took a few minutes. It's a bit scary how easy it is really and probably is the answer to why we saw so many wrecks in our area while we lived there

No it really is still that easy - I took it and passed with a massive hangover... there was a guy in there that looked, sounded and smelt drunk and he failed the theory computer test so they sat him down and told him to take it again after telling him the correct answers for the ones he got wrong....

The main reason, which was mentioned here already, to get a Texas DL is that it's seriously useful for lots of other things, ID which is required everywhere, insurance will be much higher without it and it's just better than carrying your EAD or passport everywhere. Not sure what your status will be here but if you're going for AOS it's also another thing to show you're serious about living here !

Also, at first whipping out the passport and showing off your Britishness is nice - and quite useful - but it gets old and it's nice to be able to buy a beer or use a credit card and not get into the same "oh where are you from" conversation ! It's possible to do a lot of things with hand gestures but once the passport comes out it inevitably sparks the same old comments, which are nice - don't get me wrong - I like the friendliness of Texans in this way - it's just that sometimes ( after 6 months ) you really don't want to be arsed !
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:27 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like if you can't pass the driving test, you really, really shouldn't be on the road.

Are there any states where the test is actually worth anything?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:29 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

If you plan to get affordable auto insurance then sit the test as soon as possible. Its very easy and will take up no more than a couple of hours of a day.

HI.

I am soon moving to Texas and would like to know how I am covered using my UK driving licence. I know that one has to exchange an out of state license within 30 days, but what about foreign licenses?

My wife has a current French licence? Any ideas..

- Garry
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:40 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
It sounds like if you can't pass the driving test, you really, really shouldn't be on the road.

I believe they are all basically the same, just minor differences.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar

Technically it's a bit tough in maine, reality is, depends where and when you take it, when I took mine, it was a good half hour of driving around, only because I was the only person taking the test that day in town, weirdly as the tester bloke came to town one day a month, from Bangor about 45 mins away, and as it had been a 6 foot blizzard over the previous 3 days she didn't fancy heading back after one quick 10 min drive....still a doddle to pass, and they don't scarily test you on knowledge of hour to handle skids on ice and snow, you have the option to just postpone the test for free till a nicer day.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
and they don't scarily test you on knowledge of hour to handle skids on ice and snow, you have the option to just postpone the test for free till a nicer day.
That's because the testor has no desire to be maimed in a wreck!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

chehabi is an unknown quantity at this point

How long does it take to get a Texas driving license?
In London, I had to wait weeks to take my theory test and then weeks after to take my practical test.

I am wondering because I just failed my driving practical test yesterday and I am coming to Texas on the 15th of August and I can't book another practical test until after the 15th. I need a license asap after I get to Texas because where I live might be far from where I work.

Please let me know. I would really appreciate a response.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:12 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I drove for a year on our UK licenses when we arrived in Texas. Despite many of your clever readings of the rules, it's allowed if not encouraged.

However, it was a stupid thing to do, and we were SCREWED on our car insurance for as long as we didn't have a Texas license.

And as far as how long it takes to get the license - I showed up at 10am with no appointment, took the theory test at 11am, the practical test at 11:30am, and had my temporary paper license by 12:30pm. The real card arrived about two weeks later in the mail.