Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in Texas

Driving in Texas

Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all
Default Driving in Texas

HI.

I am soon moving to Texas and would like to know how I am covered using my UK driving licence. I know that one has to exchange an out of state license within 30 days, but what about foreign licenses?

My wife has a current French licence? Any ideas..

- Garry
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in Texas

Originally Posted by neojynx
HI.

I am soon moving to Texas and would like to know how I am covered using my UK driving licence. I know that one has to exchange an out of state license within 30 days, but what about foreign licenses?

- Garry

hiya and welcome to Texas and BE

it's been a few yrs now for me but think it was 6mths that i drove here on my uk licence before i took the tx test however check out the link below for more info...sorry don't know regarding your wife's french licence but may say on the link.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ol/dlindex.htm
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

HI.

- Garry
Garry, you can both drive for a year in Texas -http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis..._dl_id.htm#q51 as both England and France are on the International Reciprocity list provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Myself and my husband both drove for a year in Texas on our UK licences, we did get stopped just after our first month and the police officer was completely unaware of the rule, so if you do want to wait to get a Texas licence (really, really easy test) then you might want to print off the two pages on the txdps site and keep them in your glove box in case you get pulled over
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:18 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

The driving test is so easy, just go and take it as soon as you have time.

a.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all

[QUOTE=snorkmaiden;5067422]Garry, you can both drive for a year in Texas -http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis..._dl_id.htm#q51 as both England and France are on the International Reciprocity list provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all who replied. I took a look at the Texas Driving License link and my only concern was point 10.

(10) On this basis, we presume that no reciprocity is extended to residents of Texas unless specific evidence is presented indicating otherwise. In the absence of specific evidence, such applicants are required to obtain a Texas drivers license.

I took this as meaning that if you were resident then the 12 months doesn't count, i.e. must take a test.

As Ill be renting for the first 6 months and not sure if we will be staying at this location, would we count as resident? It's quite confusing..

thanks

- G
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:42 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

The licence doubles as an ID it makes life a lot easier once you have it. Else you will have to carry your passport around with you.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

mummyof2 has a spectacular aura aboutmummyof2 has a spectacular aura aboutmummyof2 has a spectacular aura about

Hi, lived in Fort Worth Texas until recently returning to UK but my understanding is 30 days to get a Texas driving license we did it as soon as we could as its correct that you use it for ID everywhere you go as it is picture ID or you will have to carry passport everywhere. The test is really easy the written test is multiple choice and the practical part,- well, i was out on the road less than 10 min, case of turn left, turn right, stopping for stop signs really basic stuff oh and reversing between 2 sticks(parallel park) ( bit of a tip.. we drove to the test centre when it was closed and at the back was the sticks so we practiced a few times to get it right..) both me and hubby past first time. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:25 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

HI.

You will need to switch to an in-state licence to get insurance *easily*. You will both need SSNs or proof that you are ineligible for an SSN (eg if you are coming on an H-1B, you'll get an SSN, but your wife, on an H-4, won't).

You will need to take your passports and visas and SSN numbers with you to take the test and obtain a licence.

(Dutch husband did this in 2006)
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You will need to switch to an in-state licence to get insurance *easily*. You will both need SSNs or proof that you are ineligible for an SSN (eg if you are coming on an H-1B, you'll get an SSN, but your wife, on an H-4, won't).

You will need to take your passports and visas and SSN numbers with you to take the test and obtain a licence.

(Dutch husband did this in 2006)
Thanks for all replies. I think we will arrange to take the test asap. One more question from this though.. I guess I would have to rent a car to do this? Then I could buy and insure a car once I had the licence? (seems like a daft question I guess)

- G
Old Jul 17th 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who replied. I took a look at the Texas Driving License link and my only concern was point 10.

(10) On this basis, we presume that no reciprocity is extended to residents of Texas unless specific evidence is presented indicating otherwise. In the absence of specific evidence, such applicants are required to obtain a Texas drivers license.

I took this as meaning that if you were resident then the 12 months doesn't count, i.e. must take a test.

As Ill be renting for the first 6 months and not sure if we will be staying at this location, would we count as resident? It's quite confusing..

thanks

- G
The officer that pulled us over gave my husband a ticket and my husband had to go before the judge, who told him the officer was wrong to give him a ticket and didn't know the law.

So, you can drive for a year with the UK licence but lots of places do like to see your driving licence for ID. We were able to insure our car with UK licences, we had the Texas driving licences for three years I think before the car insurance places gave us any significant discount so it is worth getting the licence fairly soon, but not so soon that you stress yourself about it
Old Jul 17th 2007, 4:10 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all replies. I think we will arrange to take the test asap. One more question from this though.. I guess I would have to rent a car to do this? Then I could buy and insure a car once I had the licence? (seems like a daft question I guess)
Actually, could you borrow a friend's? If your friend has insurance it should cover the *car* as long as it is driven with permission by a licenced driver.

You can buy a car without having to prove insurance. Your insurance company will give you temporary cover and proof of insurance for said car (which you will also need to take the driving test), you take the test, and as soon as you get your licence, you phone the insurance company with your new DL number.

Shop around for insurance; many agents in Texas have loads of experience with immigrants and anyone who wants your business should be able to walk you through this. I use State Farm.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive for a year with a UK license, the issue is finding someone to insure you for that length of time, and it'll be far more expensive till you get a local license and unless your a complete numpty, you can't fail it.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:16 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

neojynx: ianal but I read the text in the same way you did. I had thought the UN convention that they refer to deals only with non-residents, and it's between (national) states.

it also depends what definition of legality you're trying to pass: a roadside check by a cop, a judge for a ticket, or an insurance company that's desperate to get out of paying a huge settlement after someone gets pranged...
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vegas
The licence doubles as an ID it makes life a lot easier once you have it. Else you will have to carry your passport around with you.
or for what it's worth one can purchase purely an ID card for a few $....peeps that don't drive use them however much easier to take your test esp here in tx....if you can drive in the uk and around the arc du triomphe then no probs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.