British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   driving test soon, but no access to car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-test-soon-but-no-access-car-498764/)

rk164 Dec 9th 2007 4:59 am

driving test soon, but no access to car
 
I am due to take my behind the wheel driving test soon.

I have been using my UK driving licence to rent cars and was planning to use a rental car for the test.

However I found out that this may not be permitted. I then proceeded to call the rental companies and got conflicting answers when calling the customer support versus calling an actual rental location.

Can anyone confirm if rental cars can be used and if not what others have done?

Thanks in advance

rk164

Boiler Dec 9th 2007 7:09 am

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 

Originally Posted by rk164 (Post 5648834)
I am due to take my behind the wheel driving test soon.

I have been using my UK driving licence to rent cars and was planning to use a rental car for the test.

However I found out that this may not be permitted. I then proceeded to call the rental companies and got conflicting answers when calling the customer support versus calling an actual rental location.

Can anyone confirm if rental cars can be used and if not what others have done?

Thanks in advance

rk164

Driving School?

I used my wife's truck.

If you are going to use a rental you will need it for about 10 minutes.

hobbes79 Dec 9th 2007 8:56 am

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 
I used a Hertz hire car to take my test. They did ask for insurance at the test, and I just handed them all the paperwork Hertz gave me (which was a stack). She said that was fine and I took the test. This was in Texas.

But I don't know if that was just luck or not though.

Tracym Dec 9th 2007 11:35 am

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 

Originally Posted by rk164 (Post 5648834)
I am due to take my behind the wheel driving test soon.

I have been using my UK driving licence to rent cars and was planning to use a rental car for the test.

However I found out that this may not be permitted. I then proceeded to call the rental companies and got conflicting answers when calling the customer support versus calling an actual rental location.

Can anyone confirm if rental cars can be used and if not what others have done?

Thanks in advance

rk164

The rental car company doesn't have to know anything about it. It's what the DMV (folks giving you the test) think.

I don't see why it should be a problem. It's a legal vehicle, you legally rented it, and it is insured.

If you want to be sure, contact the office where you'll be taking your test.

Big D Dec 9th 2007 1:25 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5649484)
The rental car company doesn't have to know anything about it. It's what the DMV (folks giving you the test) think.

I don't see why it should be a problem. It's a legal vehicle, you legally rented it, and it is insured.

If you want to be sure, contact the office where you'll be taking your test.

Depends on state - for instance in NY you need someone to drive you to the test regardless of whether you can drive legally on UK license - I imagine this would maybe rule out rental cars too - however in Texas i had friends use a rental.

MsElui Dec 9th 2007 2:47 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 
im in ohio - we tried to take our test with our avis rental BUT when the examiner got to the car she saw the plates had expired (before we even rented it) AND wouldnt proceed. We are now booked in again next week with a different avis car (with up to date plates!).

Norri Dec 9th 2007 4:23 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 
Just rent the car and take the test, the rental company doesn.t need to know unless you trash it which is unlikely.
Just make sure the tags are good!

Boiler Dec 9th 2007 4:29 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 5649905)
Just rent the car and take the test, the rental company doesn.t need to know unless you trash it which is unlikely.
Just make sure the tags are good!

A girl I used to work with did this, well actually not her fault. Total write off.

dh010447 Dec 9th 2007 4:31 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 

Originally Posted by rk164 (Post 5648834)
I am due to take my behind the wheel driving test soon.

I have been using my UK driving licence to rent cars and was planning to use a rental car for the test.

However I found out that this may not be permitted. I then proceeded to call the rental companies and got conflicting answers when calling the customer support versus calling an actual rental location.

Can anyone confirm if rental cars can be used and if not what others have done?

Thanks in advance

rk164

I did mine in Georgia in a rental car. Rental car agency will not care...

Georgia DMV website said you couldnt do it in a rental car, but when I phoned they said it was fine as long as i was the NAMED MAIN driver on the rental. I showed them the e-mail receipt and they said it was fine. As we had valid UK licenses, we were allowed to drive a rental car fully insured, so I guess the not being able to use rental cars for your test is maybe for US people getting their first driving license.

I would recommend getting used the the car first though... When I did my test, I had reverse park and paralell park... I crapped myself as I had never even put the thing into reverse... lol I lost points in those two manovers as I forgot to use the indicators...

Good luck!

jenniferpa Dec 9th 2007 4:38 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 
You absolutely need to check with your relevent DMV - if you were in PA you couldn't use a rental car, but obviously states vary. The only other option, if you don't have a friend's car you can borrow, would be the one previously suggested - approach a driving school.

dbj1000 Dec 9th 2007 6:07 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 5649732)
im in ohio - we tried to take our test with our avis rental BUT when the examiner got to the car she saw the plates had expired (before we even rented it) AND wouldnt proceed. We are now booked in again next week with a different avis car (with up to date plates!).

Welcome to good old American service. I hope you sued Avis, like a native! :D

Jerseygirl Dec 9th 2007 6:39 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 
Best to check with the local DMV exactly what type of car is acceptable. For instance when my daughter took her driving test 5 yrs ago in New Jersey she had to use a car with a traditional handbrake...ie not the one you operate with the foot.

penguinsix Dec 9th 2007 6:45 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 
Different DMVs different rules. Some will let you have a friend show up with you, some will allow for just a letter from a friend, and some may issue you a ticket if you show up driving a car to your drivers test (since in some situations you don't have a license).

Google will probably yield the best answer on your state's requirements.

lapin_windstar Dec 10th 2007 2:37 pm

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 
it's more expensive, but you can also get a driving school to accompany you for an hour, which solves the rental/driving yourself there problem.

Silly Sod Dec 11th 2007 4:38 am

Re: driving test soon, but no access to car
 
Here in Michigan I used a car like the flintstones, just running around really, shouting brum brum and beep beep. They didn't seem to mind and I passed my test in half an hour. God bless america and it's insatiable need to flog cars and gas :thumbup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:34 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.