Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving test in rental car

Driving test in rental car

Old Nov 26th 2023, 4:58 am
Just Joined

Bellybratz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving test in rental car

I am looking for some advice please. I recently moved to California and need to take my US wheel test so I can be insured on the car we have just bought. My husband has recently done his US test so is insured on the car using his US licence but it costs too much to add me with just a UK licence so I'm not insured on it and thus can't use it for my test. I am currently using a rental car from Avis but when l picked it up they said I couldn't do my test in it (and by that point obviously too late to cancel the rental to use someone else). My husband took his test in a rental but it was through Fox rather than Avis. The DMV tried to say he couldn't use it but he argued the point that it didn't say he could OR couldn't use it and won the argument. Not sure I can use that argument unless I get someone who doesn't care! Anyone have any clever ideas for me please?!
Old Nov 26th 2023, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving test in rental car

How much driving have you done in the US?
I would highly recommend taking some lessons with a local driving school first and using their vehicle for the test.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same issue many moons ago. Was driving a car from Avis but when I arrived at the test center was told I couldn’t take it in a rental car because of insurance. I borrowed my boss’s car for a day.

i think the idea of arranging a couple of driving lessons and take the test in a school car is a good one.
Old Nov 27th 2023, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks both. I hadn't thought of that. I've been driving here for 6 weeks now and feel pretty confident but makes a lot of sense, My husband thinks if he drives me to the DMV in his car that once the instructor takes over their insurance will cover it??? Doesn't sound right to me seeing as you have to be insured up to the eyeballs over here but thought I'd see if anyone had heard that?
Old Nov 27th 2023, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you’re not insured to drive it? I’m in MA so it may well be different here, but anybody can drive our car and be covered. It’s the car that is insured, not the driver.

My husband took his test in a friends car, he didn’t have any special insurance to do so, and the only thing they had to show was that the car itself was insured.

As I said, it may be different there but worth checking. If not, I second the suggestion of using a driving school car to do your test.

Good luck.
Old Nov 27th 2023, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can have 2 licences, I think you would have to give up the UK one which would mean you have the same insurance problem if you want to drive in UK again. I had this when I visited UK in May as I now have a Croatia licence, although I passed my test in UK. I also was unable to hire a car in UK but that was because I don't have a credit card. My cousin had offered to lend me her car but 2 weeks insurance would cost as much as she pays for the year.
Old Nov 27th 2023, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I don't think you can have 2 licences, I think you would have to give up the UK one which would mean you have the same insurance problem if you want to drive in UK again. I had this when I visited UK in May as I now have a Croatia licence, although I passed my test in UK. I also was unable to hire a car in UK but that was because I don't have a credit card. My cousin had offered to lend me her car but 2 weeks insurance would cost as much as she pays for the year.
That was not our experience in either direction to the USA. In the USA we were able to drive on our UK licence until we passed and got our US licence. Our UK licence was not valid for driving in the UK as the address was wrong, but the rental car companies accepted our US licence when we came back on visits.

When our children each moved back from the USA to England they were allowed to drive on their US licence for up to 12 months or until they passed their UK driving test.
Old Nov 27th 2023, 2:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that certain policies differ from state to state, however, in New York and here in Mississippi you do NOT have to be a named insured driver to drive a certain car for the road test. Assuming this is what you mean by a wheel test. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use your husband's auto for the test. BTW any accident you have while you are a driver in that car should be covered under the uninsured driver part of the policy.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 27th 2023 at 2:46 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 5:49 am
Just Joined

The insurance for just my husband on his car is $1500 for the year but with me on it too it was another 1k or something crazy so I'm definitely not allowed to drive it. I've found a driving school who will do an hour lesson with me before the test and then l can use their car for the test. Let's hope l don't fail as it's $270 down the drain otherwise!! No reason l should fail but seen some crazy stories of people failing for minor stuff. Intend to drive all around the test centre in the next few weeks to get used to it. Hadn't even thought any issues with going back to the UK and licence not being valid - was more worried how l would handle roundabouts after using intersections for so long!
Old Nov 28th 2023, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I think the failure rate in USA is very low but I suppose everything varies from state to state. I wonder if it would be worthwhile getting an international driving licence?
Old Nov 28th 2023, 1:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Some countries do have rules about not being able to hold two licences and having to surrender a UK licence when you take a driving test (Canada springs to mind) but have never heard of that rule for the US and we certainly have kept ours. Although as said above the UK one isn't valid any longer any as we're not resident at that address. But when we go back to visit we'll just use our US licences, and then when we return for good we'll still have our UK ones which will be valid again as we'll be moving back to the same address.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Some countries do have rules about not being able to hold two licences and having to surrender a UK licence when you take a driving test (Canada springs to mind) but have never heard of that rule for the US and we certainly have kept ours. Although as said above the UK one isn't valid any longer any as we're not resident at that address. But when we go back to visit we'll just use our US licences, and then when we return for good we'll still have our UK ones which will be valid again as we'll be moving back to the same address.
Different US states have different rules. When we moved to NJ the state did not allow 2 DLs. We were asked to hand over our UK DL’s. I refused and confused them saying my UK DL was the property of the Crown. They whispered amongst themselves for a while, shrugged their shoulders and let me keep it.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Different US states have different rules. When we moved to NJ the state did not allow 2 DLs. We were asked to hand over our UK DL’s. I refused and confused them saying my UK DL was the property of the Crown. They whispered amongst themselves for a while, shrugged their shoulders and let me keep it.
Excellent. Looks like NJ now has the same rules as MA though - if you need to take the test to get a licence then no need to surrender it, but if you're transferring from out of state or one of the eligible countries and can just swap them over, then you do.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I didn't need to fight them, just managed to keep it fine in 2019. However, in anticipation I took with me one of my many duplicate UK DLs, as they send you one for each address and I never returned them to the DVLA (as I know you should). So if they did take it I wouldn't have minded.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=calman014;13227872]How much driving have you done in the US?
I would highly recommend taking some lessons with a local driving school first and using their vehicle for the test.[/QUOTE

This is exactly what I did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.