British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving Test Question? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-test-question-289221/)

Guelder Rose Mar 10th 2005 4:18 pm

Driving Test Question?

At long last I'm finally going to arrange to take my driving test here in CA.

I was driving in the UK, but when it came to parking I was the typical woman! I would drive another mile, rather than park somewhere more convenient if the only space available wasn't big enough to drive straight into. lol

My husband has told me that parallel parking is one of the requirements to pass the driving test here and that freaks me out. Try as I might, I can't get the hang of parking backwards, especially when I can park quite safely without endangering other motorists in my own way!

The booklet I have does not mention parallel parking as part of the test, so I'm wondering whether my husband has it wrong or is just trying to force me to park in the more acceptable way (yes, I know it's supposed to be easier!) - has anyone here taken a test in CA and know if it's part of the test or not?

Guelder Rose Mar 10th 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Driving Test Question?

And if anyone has taken a test in CA .... how long does it take? How does it compare to the UK test?

fatbrit Mar 10th 2005 4:26 pm

Try here first.

Then when you've got the hang of it, go and find an empty parking lot with some cones and try it there.

Ain't difficult. You'll do it!

Bob Mar 10th 2005 4:28 pm

Parallel park, it's a doddle, and if they do test for it, it's usually parking behind one parked car, not between them...but chances are, you won't do it, test is only a few mins...

Elvira Mar 10th 2005 4:31 pm

I guess the test varies according to location and examiner. My husband and I both took our tests in CA. He was merely asked to drive around the block a couple of times. My test lasted about 10 minutes; nothing arduous though. The most difficult thing I was asked to do was reversing in a straight line for about 20 yards - no parallel parking :)

I wouldn't worry about it - once they know you've driven X # of years in Blighty they are unlikely to fail you (at least that's what my examiner hinted...)

Good luck!

Expat_Wannabe Mar 10th 2005 4:37 pm

I took my test at the Santa Monica DMV back in November. I didn't have to do any maneuvers, other than parking head on into a parking space and I also almost managed to hit another car, which sped up behind me! The one that did get me was the hand signals for a right turn and stop, so you might wanna look them up before you go! Other than that it was a piece of pi$$!

anotherlimey Mar 10th 2005 4:55 pm

In NY I failed the parallel park but I still passed.

Bob Mar 10th 2005 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I wouldn't worry about it - once they know you've driven X # of years in Blighty they are unlikely to fail you (at least that's what my examiner hinted...)

Just as long as you don't speed, stop at the stop signs, and actually look out the sides rather than just use the mirrors, should be all set...

woodsey Mar 10th 2005 5:08 pm

I took my driving test in LA, you don't have to do a parallel park, the only thing I was asked to do was reverse in a straight line for about 20 yards, the rest of the test lasted for no longer than 10 minutes, I literally drove round the block and that was it, when I told my examiner I had been driving in England for several years, he actually siad, "oh god, don't worry about this then, its really easy!" I definately think its helps if you tell them you've already been driving back in the UK.

Shish kebab Mar 10th 2005 5:43 pm

I took my test in CA and it will only take about 10 min and you usually just go around the block. I didn't need to do parallel parking but had to reverse back along the side of the curb. I was told to pull into a space between two cars in the car park. I had my test in the afternoon so by the time the examiner got to me I think she had had enough. So try and get a mid morning appointment. Good Luck I am sure you will do fine

Eskimo Mar 10th 2005 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
And if anyone has taken a test in CA .... how long does it take? How does it compare to the UK test?

Took it in CA - its a joke - 10 mins max - tell them you have driven in UK (pretend you thought they needed to see your UK license) On the reverse in a straight line I ended up 5ft from the kerb and she still passed me !
The written part was the hardest as you can only get five wrong but can take it 3 times in day. We just got lots of copies of the old papers as they recycle the questions .... dont worry turn up sober and dont hit anything - you'll pass

austin_d_powers Mar 10th 2005 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
At long last I'm finally going to arrange to take my driving test here in CA.

I was driving in the UK, but when it came to parking I was the typical woman! I would drive another mile, rather than park somewhere more convenient if the only space available wasn't big enough to drive straight into. lol

My husband has told me that parallel parking is one of the requirements to pass the driving test here and that freaks me out. Try as I might, I can't get the hang of parking backwards, especially when I can park quite safely without endangering other motorists in my own way!

The booklet I have does not mention parallel parking as part of the test, so I'm wondering whether my husband has it wrong or is just trying to force me to park in the more acceptable way (yes, I know it's supposed to be easier!) - has anyone here taken a test in CA and know if it's part of the test or not?

When taking your test don't mention parallel parking (or anything else you don't want to do on your test), otherwise you will find yourself doing some parallel parking.

rincewind Mar 10th 2005 5:59 pm

I've never been able to parallel park in my life. I was dreading that too when it came to my test.

But when I was asked to do it, I did it with no problem.

Just don't worry too much about it. The more you worry, the more you'll mess it up. Just pretend you do it all the time and you'll walk the test.

From my own experience and from those I've read by fellow expats, you have to screw up BIG TIME to fail the US test.

Best of luck.

Bob Mar 10th 2005 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
From my own experience and from those I've read by fellow expats, you have to screw up BIG TIME to fail the US test.

You say that...but when I went for my theory, a kid had failed it 3 times already in the day and had failed it 5 times previously...he wanted to take it again, but his dad had run out of patience and had to get back to work, nae pleased *lol*

rincewind Mar 10th 2005 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
You say that...but when I went for my theory, a kid had failed it 3 times already in the day and had failed it 5 times previously...he wanted to take it again, but his dad had run out of patience and had to get back to work, nae pleased *lol*

Maybe he just forgot to take his Ritalin that day ;)

For those Expats that have been driving for a while, the written part is mostly common sense with some law thrown in.