British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving Test Practice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-test-practice-247906/)

rincewind Aug 10th 2004 7:09 pm

Driving Test Practice

I can't parallel park to save my life.

But this is fun (but it can drive you insane at first).

Parallel Park

My best so far is 8.06 seconds.

Jan Alaska Aug 10th 2004 8:33 pm

Re: Driving Test Practice

but how does it work ?

Jan << pc-games-phobic

Ray Aug 10th 2004 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
but how does it work ?

Jan << pc-games-phobic

keyboard arrows

Jan Alaska Aug 10th 2004 9:29 pm

can partially park it in about 45seconds ... then i fix my lipstick and hop out n go shop :D

rincewind Aug 11th 2004 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
But how many vehicles did you bump into to get into the parking space? Or, were there even any vehicles alongside the kerb where you parked? :)

Crap. I thought it would be better to do what I do in real life and bounce off the other cars :D

My wife laughs at the way I drive around finding a space I can pull straight into. I've never been able to parallel park. :o

LuTziE Aug 11th 2004 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
I can't parallel park to save my life.

But this is fun (but it can drive you insane at first).

Parallel Park

My best so far is 8.06 seconds.

You passed the real driving test yet?
I failed mine first time around, seems those white lines in the middle of the road dont mean no overtaking, but mean that there are 2 lanes of traffic going the same direction (not good when doing a left turn)

The parallel parking was easy though, plenty of space, only one car at the kerbside.

rincewind Aug 11th 2004 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by LuTziE
You passed the real driving test yet?
I failed mine first time around, seems those white lines in the middle of the road dont mean no overtaking, but mean that there are 2 lanes of traffic going the same direction (not good when doing a left turn)

The parallel parking was easy though, plenty of space, only one car at the kerbside.

Haven't done the practical yet. It's a long story involving Georgia DMV, BCIS and a pissed off expat :)

I passed the theory test though. So "in theory" I can drive :D

LuTziE Aug 11th 2004 1:30 pm

lol!

i remeber on my theory test one of the multiguess questions was "a man with a white stick looks like hes about to walk out into the street, what do you do?
a. flash headlights at him.
b. honk horn at him.
c. stop and let him cross.

i almost had a fit of giggles over that.

The second time i took my test i passed it, but i thought i did worse on it, the instructor just wasnt interested, he relaxed in the passenger side and just talked to me about england all the time.

i heard almost everyone fails the first time, but passes second go.

rincewind Aug 11th 2004 1:43 pm

lol!

i heard almost everyone fails the first time, but passes second go.

I've never heard of anyone failing. In fact, I asked my wife about this the other day. She doesn't know of anyone that failed their driving test.

I guess it's different in your neck of the woods. Down here, you just need to prove the following:

1) That you don't signal. Ever. Unless your over 60 years old which means your just signalling to alert the drivers around you that you are old and liable to cause a wreck.

2) You can hide your empty beer cans/bottles in less than 10 seconds for when you get pulled over by the law.

3) You can hit, skin and grill a deer. Waste not want not.

4) If you drive a truck, you have total freedom on the road and have special red light privalages (they don't apply) and stop sign priority. Remember, bigger means first.

5) When a patrol man/sherrif/policeman/cop (or whatever you call them in your neighborhood) approaches your vehicle after pulling you over, make a sudden grab for the glove box. When you finally recover from multiple bullet wounds, state in court that you didn't think it necessary to be shot six times when you were just reaching for a pen to sign the forthcoming ticket. Now relax, you're rich.

6) I can't think of anymore, I've been up for 24 hours and my spelling probably sucks :zzz:

LuTziE Aug 11th 2004 1:45 pm

ahhhhhh, so thats why on all those worlds crazy police videos ewveryone is from the southern states

rincewind Aug 11th 2004 1:53 pm

ahhhhhh, so thats why on all those worlds crazy police videos ewveryone is from the southern states

Yep. The road where my father-in-law lives was on "Cops" once. They were chasing a speeding truck towards our town before it crashed off the road. It's fun when you watch that stuff in England, but when it happens on your doorstep....well....it's even better :D

ScousePete Aug 11th 2004 2:47 pm

lol!

i remeber on my theory test one of the multiguess questions was "a man with a white stick looks like hes about to walk out into the street, what do you do?
a. flash headlights at him.
b. honk horn at him.
c. stop and let him cross.

where is d. Ignore him and keep on driving ?

That would be the real-world option :D