British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving Test Orlando (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-test-orlando-897445/)

hannahc16 May 31st 2017 3:24 pm

Driving Test Orlando

so my husband is out in orlando at the moment and has passed the theory part of his test and has now booked for his road test.

He is currently in a hire car as out there on his own and was planning to take the test in that tomorrow and then buy a car once the test has been done.

He has now received an email of what he requires to that the rest one being current insurance proof of PIP and PDL, he doesn't have this because obviously he hasn't got a car as he is out there on his own trying to do the test in 30 days in order for him to then be able to buy a car.

can anyone help we feel like we are going round in circles right now.

Thanks

Pulaski May 31st 2017 3:39 pm

Re: Driving Test Orlando

What's PIP and PDL? :confused:

He doesn't need a drivers license to be able to buy and insure a car.

hannahc16 May 31st 2017 3:42 pm

can he do the driving test tomorrow in his hire car? This is the below he has just sent me.

Four Requirements to Take the Road Test
1. Valid Registration. Provide a vehicle with valid registration for the Road Test;
2. Current Insurance. Provide proof of current Florida Personal Injury Property (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL) insurance;
3. Driving Log. If Under 18, a parent or guardian must sign a Supervised Driving Log verifying you have at least 50 hours of driving experience, of which 10 hours must be at night; and
4. Document Requirements. Provide required documents for REAL ID compliance (see above).

Pulaski May 31st 2017 3:53 pm

Probably "yes", unless it is explicitly prohibited in the rental contract. I am one of many people here on BE who took their test in a rental car - though my test wasn't in Florida.

So, given the modest cost of a test, unless it says in big red letters on the rental contract that taking a road test is prohibited, I would just go along to the test and see what happens.

There is, IMO, a very good chance that on seeing that the test candidate is an adult (not a teenager) driving a nearly new car, that the examiner won't even ask to see the insurance documentation anyway.

chawkins99 May 31st 2017 4:10 pm

In Alabama, I was required to bring a 'designated driver'. If you fail, you can't drive the car away.

Although ANYONE who fails a driving test in the US has no business being behind the wheel anyway. EVER.

Does he have a physical address in Florida? Without one, he can't get a driving license.

Pulaski May 31st 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 12263530)
In Alabama, I was required to bring a 'designated driver'. If you fail, you can't drive the car away. ....

I would consider that possibility to be purely theoretical! :lol:

Jack8602 May 31st 2017 5:59 pm

Yeah i found this out the hard way, in Texas you literally drive up and queue in your car for an instructor after waiting an hour for the place to open.

Examiner gets in the car and says, insurance documents? which I'd left in my apartment, meh.

I rented with Avis, and the dot matrix style contract sheet they give you when you collect the car covered it for me.

Chesten May 31st 2017 11:44 pm

I did my test in a rental (not in Orlando) and had my hire contract with me; it listed the insurances. In the glove box there was license documentation also (has he looked there?) but this wasn't checked. He doesn't need the log mentioned at number 3 obvs, being over 18. It felt like as I was a 40 yo with a foreign license my examiner went through the motions; I actually enjoyed my test and our pleasant chatting as we went round neighbourhood roads! Good luck to your husband.

jellybean_17 Jun 1st 2017 1:27 am

I did mine in Jacksonville recently in a rental. On the rental agreement copy he has it will list the insurance cover but he will have had to have selected that level of cover. There is the basic loss damage waiver and then the other levels of cover they have asked for - with hertz its listed as PAI/PEC. However I do not fully believe the DMV office I used actually had any idea if that was the right cover or not! The only risk to saying you have it is if something happens on the test - which if it goes like mine - you don't pass 20mph or meet any other cars on the 2 street loop and car park lol :)

Did they manage to print off his drivers license card? I had and am still having huge issues with this! They gave me a paper copy because they couldn't print it and then I had to wait for the card to arrive from Tallahasse 2 weeks later. I wasn't allowed to take the driving test until I had the actual card. I am still almost 60 days later now waiting for my actual license to arrive again from the same office. I don't know if this is now a Florida state requirement or just related to me so just a heads up :D

1969tonka Jun 3rd 2017 6:14 am

In Washington state all driving tests (practical and theory) are farmed out to private companies . It's a great system that worked really well for me and my wife . Turned up at nearest driving school and took theory test ( both passed although she beat my score) and then booked the practical for the next morning at 10.30 and 11.00 and paid an extra $20 each to use their cars. Both passsed first time (I whooped her score this time) so all in it cost $180 for the both of us then the dmv charged $85 each for the licenses which turned up in the mail today after a 2 week wait. Not helpful to the Orlando issue but useful info for anyone heading to the PNW!

tom169 Jun 3rd 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by 1969tonka (Post 12265100)
In Washington state all driving tests (practical and theory) are farmed out to private companies . It's a great system that worked really well for me and my wife . Turned up at nearest driving school and took theory test ( both passed although she beat my score) and then booked the practical for the next morning at 10.30 and 11.00 and paid an extra $20 each to use their cars. Both passsed first time (I whooped her score this time) so all in it cost $180 for the both of us then the dmv charged $85 each for the licenses which turned up in the mail today after a 2 week wait. Not helpful to the Orlando issue but useful info for anyone heading to the PNW!

Wow, it cost me $5 here - the price of one year's licence. :eek:

zzrmark Jun 4th 2017 3:53 am

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 12263530)
Although ANYONE who fails a driving test in the US has no business being behind the wheel anyway. EVER.

...the same applies for a good portion of those who do have a license.

Originally Posted by jellybean_17 (Post 12263839)
I did mine in Jacksonville recently in a rental. On the rental agreement copy he has it will list the insurance cover but he will have had to have selected that level of cover. There is the basic loss damage waiver and then the other levels of cover they have asked for - with hertz its listed as PAI/PEC. However I do not fully believe the DMV office I used actually had any idea if that was the right cover or not! The only risk to saying you have it is if something happens on the test - which if it goes like mine - you don't pass 20mph or meet any other cars on the 2 street loop and car park lol :)

I was somewhat confused by the insurance requirements for the FL test (which I met and had proof to confirm that) because the State office that I took mine with had a tiny compound about the size of two tennis courts on which the test was conducted, no hint of a public road so not sure whether half the insurance requirements applied to off road driving and would have covered any issue arising (I know a UK insurance wouldn't have covered off the public road and Florida insurers seem to charge a sight more in premiums for diddly squat in coverage.)

malch Jun 4th 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by hannahc16 (Post 12263506)
He is currently in a hire car as out there on his own and was planning to take the test in that tomorrow and then buy a car once the test has been done.

Been there, done that, when I moved to California.

The California DMV prohibited using a rental car for the driving test at that time. I understand they changed the rules and it's now permitted. You will need to check with the Florida authorities to be sure.

If the rental is a no-no, I suggest you contact a driving school. They will likely require you to buy a one hour lesson but you'll get some good tips on how to past the test. Then use their car for the test immediately after the lesson. Obviously, the school will have insurance that is acceptable to the DMV.

That's how I solved the problem and it all worked out great. Easily worth the very modest cost.

BTW, I don't think you can get auto insurance here in CA without providing your drivers license number. They usually run that through the DMV database before they'll even quote a rate.

zzrmark Jun 4th 2017 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by malch (Post 12265902)

If the rental is a no-no, I suggest you contact a driving school. They will likely require you to buy a one hour lesson but you'll get some good tips on how to past the test. Then use their car for the test immediately after the lesson. Obviously, the school will have insurance that is acceptable to the DMV.

That's how I solved the problem and it all worked out great. Easily worth the very modest cost.

Good way to get around lack of car however any British driver that is in need of tips to pass the Florida test should, without meaning any disrespect, consider the services of Dignitas.

malch Jun 4th 2017 7:42 pm

Yeah, by all accounts, the FL test is fairly easy. But it's a poor instructor that can't give at least a few useful tips. Maybe to avoid a technical violation of some kind, or even provide a reminder to work on some bad habit.

I've driven more than a million miles over the years but I'm still interesting in learning and refining my driving skills.