British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving Test and Buying a car in GA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-test-buying-car-ga-841533/)

Ktnewell Aug 22nd 2014 7:10 pm

Driving Test and Buying a car in GA

Hi,

So I have read many posts about doing the US drivers test but what I don't know is - is it possible to do it in a hire car? I haven't yet got round to buying my car but I am also rapidly running out of time to get my GA licence before the 30 limit.

Also I am planning on buying a used car...how do I insure this? Would I need to buy the car insurance prior to buying the car due to driving it home?

Help would be appreciated!

Katie

Pulaski Aug 22nd 2014 10:33 pm

Re: Driving Test and Buying a car in GA

I did my road test in a rented car. You might want to check if your rental insurance will cover it, ..... there is a chance the examiner might ask if the notice it is a rental car, and question the validity of the insurance. Some allow it, some don't, and I am sure that some people driving cars that don't have coverage for you to do a road test, sneak through anyway unnoticed by the examiner. :lol:

For your first car you should probably find an insurance broker to talk to, face to face. Be prepared for insurance to cost about $2,000 for the first year! :eek: ..... But it drops fairly rapidly. Also make sure you get more than state minimum insurance, because the max payout on minimum insurance is not sufficient to cover your liability in the event you hit a Ferrari, and/ or injure or kill someone in an accident.

Ktnewell Aug 29th 2014 5:43 pm

There is no way I am going to get my drivers license within the 30 day limit (I completely forgot about Labor Day closedown)

Does anyone know what happens if you miss the cut off period?

Pulaski Aug 29th 2014 5:46 pm

Nothing directly, but if you're not "in process", it might be best if you stopped driving. If you are in process, drive very cautiously, and be ready to explain why it wasn't your fault you didn't get your license in 30 days. If it was your fault, see my first sentence. :)

Bob Aug 29th 2014 5:52 pm

Well technically, you'd be driving without a valid license with all that entails but reality means, unless you're in a accident, nothing will happen.

As long as you've made an attempt such as booked an appointment and done your theory, you'd be good for another 30-90 days, I forget which.

rpjs Aug 29th 2014 6:58 pm

Do you have a local driving school? Mine offers a service whereby he'll do a one-hour preparatory lesson, drive you to the road test (in NYS the learner is not allowed to drive to or from the test themself!) and you use his car for the actual test.

steveq Aug 31st 2014 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Ktnewell (Post 11378347)
Hi,

So I have read many posts about doing the US drivers test but what I don't know is - is it possible to do it in a hire car? I haven't yet got round to buying my car but I am also rapidly running out of time to get my GA licence before the 30 limit.

Also I am planning on buying a used car...how do I insure this? Would I need to buy the car insurance prior to buying the car due to driving it home?

I just did my test in a rental car in Pa. The asshole that examined my papers before the test said "You have to have an international Drivers Licence - see my supervisor" - who said "That's just fine. I've seen your UK licence, you're good to go". The examiner said "I'm not going to waste your time", made me parallel park, and then said, just take it up the road for a bit. One right, two lefts, and back to the test centre I was out of there with a new licence.

Next step, ring Geico insurance. Sorted a policy out in about 10 minutes for Lizzyq (when she gets there) and #1 son, though he isn't driving yet.

Next step, sort out bank loan, which was probably the hardest bit, but we got THAT yesterday. .......

So, started process last Thursday, passed test this Wednesday (to complete the insurance), drove home in 4 year old Mitsubishi this afternoon.

mamasue Sep 2nd 2014 2:35 pm

I failed my first GA test for 'illegally not coming to a full stop at a stop sign' . I slowed down to an 'almost stop'...I could see there was nobody around, and proceeded.
The examiner failed me immediately, and told me why....I wasn't happy.
The good news is....you don't have to wait for an appointment like you do in the UK.... I just returned the next day, and did it all over again, and passed.
It's not a difficult test (as long as you stop at a stop sign!! ) :)

Billy Baht Sep 8th 2014 4:23 am

I need to get a Texas DL and I'm planning on doing so in a rental car.

For insurance, my plan is to take out the shortest 'Non Owner Liability' policy that I can buy, I will also decline the rental agencies Collision Damage Waver (CDL) coverage, and charge the rental fee on a credit card that offers free primary CDL and loss of use coverage. I've read the some American Express cards offer primary CDL (No liability) for a flat fee of $24.95, for periods up to 42 days.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...verage/home.do

Pulaski Sep 8th 2014 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Baht (Post 11396166)
I need to get a Texas DL and I'm planning on doing so in a rental car.

For insurance, my plan is to take out the shortest 'Non Owner Liability' policy that I can buy, I will also decline the rental agencies Collision Damage Waver (CDL) coverage, and charge the rental fee on a credit card that offers free primary CDL and loss of use coverage. I've read the some American Express cards offer primary CDL (No liability) for a flat fee of $24.95, for periods up to 42 days. ....

Are you moving to Texas, or do you just "need" a Texas license for your collection of international driving licences? :rolleyes:

Billy Baht Sep 9th 2014 3:09 am

Moving to Texas. I prefer other hobbies to International Driving License collecting :)