British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving Test! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-test-382885/)

Partystar Jul 3rd 2006 8:27 pm

Driving Test!

I took my driving test today & passed, wooohooo!!!

Yes, I had to wait 2 hours to do it & the examiner wasn't in the best of moods (although I hear that is pretty common!), but it took all of 10 minutes & it was easy! I did get a tick marked against me for speeding, as we went into a residential area & I didn't slow down quick enough, so I was going 28 as we entered a 25mph zone, but oh well!

The thing I'm most happy about is, I now have an ID that is acceptable!!!

Celsius Jul 3rd 2006 8:34 pm

Re: Driving Test!

Originally Posted by Partystar

Yes, I had to wait 2 hours to do it & the examiner wasn't in the best of moods (although I hear that is pretty common!), but it took all of 10 minutes & it was easy! I did get a tick marked against me for speeding, as we went into a residential area & I didn't slow down quick enough, so I was going 28 as we entered a 25mph zone, but oh well!

Congratulations! About time you passed. :)

dan_alford Jul 3rd 2006 8:39 pm

Congratulations and karma :) I worried a long time about taking my test and it was so easy I was shocked!

I hear you about the ID. I even had a bank "refuse" my Green card as Id, saying that it wasn't an acceptable form of ID because it could be easily forged. Sounded like complete BS to me and we went to another bank who had no problems about taking it.

Sarah Jul 3rd 2006 8:45 pm

See I told you if you wore a low cut top and jiggled your funbags in his face you'd pass ;)

Partystar Jul 3rd 2006 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Congratulations and karma :) I worried a long time about taking my test and it was so easy I was shocked!

I hear you about the ID. I even had a bank "refuse" my Green card as Id, saying that it wasn't an acceptable form of ID because it could be easily forged. Sounded like complete BS to me and we went to another bank who had no problems about taking it.

Yeah, I tried to use my Green Card as ID to buy alcohol with & they told me that they couldn't take it (even though I had used it at the same shop the week before :rolleyes: ), she then continued to say, it needs to be government issued, I said, it is government issued & it's probably one of the hardest to obtain & most expensive government issued cards you can get! Plus it's probably harder to fake than a driver license & they accept those! :confused: FFS!!!

Partystar Jul 3rd 2006 8:51 pm

I thought I should also add...my photo looks like crap! :(

dan_alford Jul 3rd 2006 8:54 pm

Yeah, I tried to use my Green Card as ID to buy alcohol with & they told me that they couldn't take it (even though I had used it at the same shop the week before :rolleyes: ), she then continued to say, it needs to be government issued, I said, it is government issued & it's probably one of the hardest to obtain & most expensive government issued cards you can get! Plus it's probably harder to fake than a driver license & they accept those! :confused: FFS!!!

Had the EXACT same experience. The bank where they turned that down said they would take Sams Club id though !!!!!!

Partystar Jul 3rd 2006 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
See I told you if you wore a low cut top and jiggled your funbags in his face you'd pass ;)

Thanx, your infinite wisdom helped me to pass my test & I shall be ever grateful to you, you gorgeous chick! :D

Elvira Jul 3rd 2006 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Had the EXACT same experience. The bank where they turned that down said they would take Sams Club id though !!!!!!

My DH once used a London Buspass photocard as ID to get a visitor's pass to visit a US air base.

Yes, it was pre-9/11, but even so... :D

Elvira Jul 3rd 2006 9:13 pm

Nearly forgot: Congratulations Liz!!! :)

TouristTrap Jul 3rd 2006 9:50 pm

MAJOR CONGRATS chickie! :):):)

Bet you feel more like a 'person' now! :)

Bob Jul 3rd 2006 10:34 pm

I thought I should also add...my photo looks like crap! :(

hehe...well that's a right of passage ain't it having a shite photo on your drivers license...I look like a right muppet, I just hope I look better on my next one when I get around to switching it to a Mass license :D

Rushman Jul 3rd 2006 10:35 pm

Re: Driving Tits!!

Well done!! LOL

Toontje Jul 3rd 2006 10:52 pm

Congratulations! :beer:

I passed a driving test today too, for my CDL.

I had applied for a job as a charter bus driver and without anyone telling me that I was hired I received training, had to undergo a medical examination, do some written tests and the driving test. Tried to do that last one last Wednesday when we showed up at the DPS office around noon. We were told to come back early in the morning as all available slots for CDL driving tests would be filled very soon every day. So on Friday we were there at 7.30, only to find out that the city of Austin had already sent 4 trucks there, with three drivers each to be tested. Officially, the office opens at 8.00, but all slots were filled half an hour before that. So today we made sure to be the first in line. A driver from the company and I arrived at the DPS office at 6am. By the time the office opened there was a line of about 50 people, all wanting to take the driving test today. My test started at 8.15 and it turned out to be a piece of cake. It still amazes me that with such a poor (read: none) drivers education not more accidents are happening.
After I passed my CDL test we went back to the company's office. No one was there so I just left everything they had given me, like a drivers manual and a key to my locker et cetera, at the office because I had decided that I didn't want to work for them. Dispatch couldn't (or didn't want to) tell their drivers in advance what kind of work they were expected to do. Only the day before would they tell you. So you couldn't plan anything more than a day in the future. I keep wondering why they do that, I mean, if your employer sends you out of town for an extended period, don't we all want to know that a couple of days in advance?
I know that I was expected to work on the 4th of July if I passed the test, dispatch would call me today to tell me "when and where", but I haven't heard from them. I have been trying all day to get hold of somebody from their office but no one answered the phone. Somebody must have found the things I left there and gotten the message...... :o

Partystar Jul 3rd 2006 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Toontje
Congratulations! :beer:

I passed a driving test today too, for my CDL.

I had applied for a job as a charter bus driver and without anyone telling me that I was hired I received training, had to undergo a medical examination, do some written tests and the driving test. Tried to do that last one last Wednesday when we showed up at the DPS office around noon. We were told to come back early in the morning as all available slots for CDL driving tests would be filled very soon every day. So on Friday we were there at 7.30, only to find out that the city of Austin had already sent 4 trucks there, with three drivers each to be tested. Officially, the office opens at 8.00, but all slots were filled half an hour before that. So today we made sure to be the first in line. A driver from the company and I arrived at the DPS office at 6am. By the time the office opened there was a line of about 50 people, all wanting to take the driving test today. My test started at 8.15 and it turned out to be a piece of cake. It still amazes me that with such a poor (read: none) drivers education not more accidents are happening.
After I passed my CDL test we went back to the company's office. No one was there so I just left everything they had given me, like a drivers manual and a key to my locker et cetera, at the office because I had decided that I didn't want to work for them. Dispatch couldn't (or didn't want to) tell their drivers in advance what kind of work they were expected to do. Only the day before would they tell you. So you couldn't plan anything more than a day in the future. I keep wondering why they do that, I mean, if your employer sends you out of town for an extended period, don't we all want to know that a couple of days in advance?
I know that I was expected to work on the 4th of July if I passed the test, dispatch would call me today to tell me "when and where", but I haven't heard from them. I have been trying all day to get hold of somebody from their office but no one answered the phone. Somebody must have found the things I left there and gotten the message...... :o

Congrats to you too mate, I'm glad you didn't take that job, it sounds dodgy to say the least! I'm sure you can do much better! :D