Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test

Driving Test

Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test

I must say that I thought it would be impossible for anyone to fail a driving test in the US. Our test in California basically consisted of us driving round the block and making sure we didn't exceed the speed limit. No parallel parking, 3 point turns, all stuff a blind monkey could do (and probably does do better than what Californians do it).
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Gruff is suprisingly quiet on the thread
good catch
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Our test in California basically consisted of us driving round the block and making sure we didn't exceed the speed limit.
I did exceed the speed limit on mine (although I still swear I was in a 30mph zone and instructor said it was 25mph!) and still passed - with the comment that I should really try to slow down a bit!!! I'd rather it was a bit more comprehensive though - half the nutters in California wouldn't be on the roads then!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

It must ge a difficult test, or it was PMS time for the lady examiner

My car test took just over 4 minutes, down the street, 3 point turn, then the guy say's "Parallel park behind that car and another"
"But there's only one car there" I said.
"Just imagine there's another" He replied.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

bodelo will become famous soon enough

Took mine in California, no 3-point turn, emergency stop....just a little drive to the nearest freeway, lost 2 points for sticking to the speed limit....at the time it was 55mph, the traffic was averageing 70 and the instructor said I should have kept up with them which seemed a bit stupid as hed told me to stay in the first lane as he wanted me to exit at the first off ramp !! But hey....thats California!! I think they make the rules up as they go along. I passed.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:58 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
I did exceed the speed limit on mine (although I still swear I was in a 30mph zone and instructor said it was 25mph!) and still passed - with the comment that I should really try to slow down a bit!!! I'd rather it was a bit more comprehensive though - half the nutters in California wouldn't be on the roads then!

You seriously believe that a half of Californian drivers actually have driver's licences??

:scared:
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:03 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Gruff is suprisingly quiet on the thread
OK, OK, I passed after I read the book, didn't I?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:41 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I suppose the woman was talking about a regular cab, which I definitely could make, but not in my beast!

Then can I ask a silly question, why did you buy a vehicle that you cannot possibly drive properly? Wouldn't it be safer for everyone if you downsized a bit?
Are you joking? Well, I'll answer your question anyway.

I can & have been driving my truck for about 15 months & I've never had a car accident in my 9 years of driving, so quite obviously I can drive it!

In the 3 point turn test, they ask you to pull into a space (the same size space as one at the supermarket car park), then they ask you to reverse around the corner as if going down the car park lane (although it looked about half the width of the car park lanes around here), without any of your vehicle going over a white line or hitting a cone, without re-adjusting your vehicle (so it has to be in 3 points - drive into space, reverse around corner out of space, drive forward).

This is impossible in my size truck, as you have to re-adjust given the length & width of the vehicle. Does that make sense?! It's hard to explain it!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

You know I have never understood why they ask anyone to reverse around a corner as isn't that illegal and WFT would anyone want to reverse around a corner??

I think the point of making foreigners take the Californian drivers test is just so we can accustom ourselves to the appalling level of driving of the locals.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You know I have never understood why they ask anyone to reverse around a corner as isn't that illegal and WFT would anyone want to reverse around a corner??
to show you can reverse out of a parking spot, out of your drive, 3 point turn etc...
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
This is impossible in my size truck, as you have to re-adjust given the length & width of the vehicle. Does that make sense?! It's hard to explain it!
I could do it !!!!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 12:00 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Are you joking? Well, I'll answer your question anyway.

I can & have been driving my truck for about 15 months & I've never had a car accident in my 9 years of driving, so quite obviously I can drive it!

In the 3 point turn test, they ask you to pull into a space (the same size space as one at the supermarket car park), then they ask you to reverse around the corner as if going down the car park lane (although it looked about half the width of the car park lanes around here), without any of your vehicle going over a white line or hitting a cone, without re-adjusting your vehicle (so it has to be in 3 points - drive into space, reverse around corner out of space, drive forward).

Okay fine . However, just to ease my curiosity, why have you been driving your truck for 15 months without an Az license? Did you move from another state or from Britain? When I moved to AZ from Britain I only had a short time in which to get my license. I'm not picking on you I'm just asking!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:11 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

I must say that I thought it would be impossible for anyone to fail a driving test in the US. Our test in California basically consisted of us driving round the block and making sure we didn't exceed the speed limit. No parallel parking, 3 point turns, all stuff a blind monkey could do (and probably does do better than what Californians do it).
sounds like the same simple test i took in CA, though looking at the appalling driving standards around LA, perhaps its not such a good thing that its made so easy!! - as ive said before - they might as well just give out the licences in boxes of cereal.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I could do it !!!!
You have some way to defy the laws of physics do you?! Did you not read what I wrote, it's impossible!!! It's not a matter of skill, it's physically impossible!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:03 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by blaze
Okay fine . However, just to ease my curiosity, why have you been driving your truck for 15 months without an Az license? Did you move from another state or from Britain? When I moved to AZ from Britain I only had a short time in which to get my license. I'm not picking on you I'm just asking!
I moved here from Britain. I couldn't be arsed to get my US license & I'm perfectly happy to drive on my UK one!!! Also, I was told (by a cop! ), that I couldn't get my US license until I had a SSN, which I didn't have until a few months back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.