Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test

Driving Test

Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:30 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Have you actually seen a car before ???
Is that one of those little metal things?! Yeah, I've seen them, they get in my way at the supermarket, so I just park my truck on top of them.

I guess it's no wonder I failed!!!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Is that one of those little metal things?! Yeah, I've seen them, they get in my way at the supermarket, so I just park my truck on top of them.

I guess it's no wonder I failed!!!

Yes, they are those little metal things that it's possible to fill with gas without taking out a second mortgage
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I took my driving test on Friday & I failed! I got 100% on the theory, but didn't even get to go on my actual driving test, because I failed at the 3-point turn. I took the truck (2001 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab) & tried to reverse out of the space around the cones, but it's just impossible to do it.

The examiner said it can be done, but she wouldn't be able to do it & said I could come back & try it over the weekend, which we did. Hubby tried it every way, but still part of the truck went over the white line, so it's impossible in that size of a truck. I suppose the woman was talking about a regular cab, which I definitely could make, but not in my beast!

So, I'll have to do it in a car, which will be annoying, as I've only driven our car once & it's like a boat & very heavy to steer, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I just wish I'd have known not to take the truck, as it's impossible.

On a side note, why aren't you allowed to adjust? I can't think of any real life driving situation where you wouldn't be allowed to adjust your vehicle instead of reversing straight out. They changed this test in the UK, probably because of that very reason.
You really let the side down by not passing. I hope you had both hands on the wheel at all times. Maybe you should take the test in a regular car, not a truck. A smaller vehicle would be more maneuverable.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:03 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
You really let the side down by not passing. I hope you had both hands on the wheel at all times. Maybe you should take the test in a regular car, not a truck. A smaller vehicle would be more maneuverable.
Well at least I didn't fail for lack of driving skills! I do plan on taking a smaller vehicle next time, just didn't think I'd need to take it in a car, plenty of people drive trucks these days, maybe the bastards should update their test!!!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, but I did have to snicker

And a 3 point turn? wow...don't think that's even on the test around here...just reverse 50 feet, parallel park behind one motor...which is getting taken out of the test apparently for being to hard, and there's no hill start required...hmmm...
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In this state we were only required to take a written test 'cos we had UK drivers licences.

When my daughter took her test it only lasted about 5 mins. She had to drive around an empty car park, then parallel park between 2 cones placed about 200 yards apart. That's Joizey for ya.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
sorry, but I did have to snicker

And a 3 point turn? wow...don't think that's even on the test around here...just reverse 50 feet, parallel park behind one motor...which is getting taken out of the test apparently for being to hard, and there's no hill start required...hmmm...
Ah, hill starts. A bugger in Salisbury (the african version) would take you up to the highest hill in town, stick a box of matches down behind your tires, and make you take off, many moons ago, early 70's or thereabouts.....
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:50 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least I didn't fail for lack of driving skills!
LMAO! Thanks, Partystar - you've made my day...
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:27 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the woman was talking about a regular cab, which I definitely could make, but not in my beast!

Then can I ask a silly question, why did you buy a vehicle that you cannot possibly drive properly? Wouldn't it be safer for everyone if you downsized a bit?
Old Apr 18th 2006, 12:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Then can I ask a silly question, why did you buy a vehicle that you cannot possibly drive properly? Wouldn't it be safer for everyone if you downsized a bit?
because these test people are fools and make you do stupid things...hell, in my test I got a warning because I didn't reverse in a straight line, but had I of done, I'd have driven into the snow bank, and would have failed by crashing...just no pleasing some people
Old Apr 18th 2006, 12:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Don't remember any 3-point turn when I did the AZ license. Had to parallel park into cones. I was in a rental Corolla. Took all of 10 seconds to get that part out of the way -- several funeral corteges would have fitted in the space.

Hehe.

My friends are sooooooooooooo impressed because I can do parallel parking with barely a glance in the rear mirror. Seriously: most of them would rather drive 3 times around the block and walk (WALK!!!) 4 blocks than attempt this simple maneuvre.

As for Liz, I am surprised they 'tested' her. Both my husband and I (once the examiner realised we were from the UK) were merely asked to drive around the block and reverse 20 yards or so in a straight line.

Ah well, minor setback - better luck next time!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 12:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira
As for Liz, I am surprised they 'tested' her. Both my husband and I (once the examiner realised we were from the UK) were merely asked to drive around the block and reverse 20 yards or so in a straight line.
Sometimes they want to stick it to you though, or are just bored, like on mine, person came down from Bangor and I was the only person taking the test, so drove all over town for about 20 mins *l*...though she was nice and let me have the chance to reschedule, as we had just gotten 6 feet of snow over the last couple nights, but I couldn't be bothered waiting another 3 weeks.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Gruff is suprisingly quiet on the thread
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I took my driving test on Friday & I failed! I got 100% on the theory, but didn't even get to go on my actual driving test, because I failed at the 3-point turn. I took the truck (2001 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab) & tried to reverse out of the space around the cones, but it's just impossible to do it.

The examiner said it can be done, but she wouldn't be able to do it & said I could come back & try it over the weekend, which we did. Hubby tried it every way, but still part of the truck went over the white line, so it's impossible in that size of a truck. I suppose the woman was talking about a regular cab, which I definitely could make, but not in my beast!

So, I'll have to do it in a car, which will be annoying, as I've only driven our car once & it's like a boat & very heavy to steer, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I just wish I'd have known not to take the truck, as it's impossible.

On a side note, why aren't you allowed to adjust? I can't think of any real life driving situation where you wouldn't be allowed to adjust your vehicle instead of reversing straight out. They changed this test in the UK, probably because of that very reason.

No 3 point turn here either.
Just the park between 2 cones and drive round block , quiet streets near the test centre.

Never mind, better luck next time.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:35 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickmills
Didn't even have to do any maneuvers here in TN.
Theory test, then a leeeesuirly drive round the block, job done!
Think it was all right turns too
pmsl!! haha me too only mine was trickier.... one right turn and 3 lefts round the block till we got back to the building ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.