Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test

Driving Test

Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:30 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving Test

Well, I took my driving test on Friday & I failed! I got 100% on the theory, but didn't even get to go on my actual driving test, because I failed at the 3-point turn. I took the truck (2001 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab) & tried to reverse out of the space around the cones, but it's just impossible to do it.

The examiner said it can be done, but she wouldn't be able to do it & said I could come back & try it over the weekend, which we did. Hubby tried it every way, but still part of the truck went over the white line, so it's impossible in that size of a truck. I suppose the woman was talking about a regular cab, which I definitely could make, but not in my beast!

So, I'll have to do it in a car, which will be annoying, as I've only driven our car once & it's like a boat & very heavy to steer, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I just wish I'd have known not to take the truck, as it's impossible.

On a side note, why aren't you allowed to adjust? I can't think of any real life driving situation where you wouldn't be allowed to adjust your vehicle instead of reversing straight out. They changed this test in the UK, probably because of that very reason.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test

Originally Posted by Partystar
Well, I took my driving test on Friday & I failed! I got 100% on the theory, but didn't even get to go on my actual driving test, because I failed at the 3-point turn. I took the truck (2001 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab) & tried to reverse out of the space around the cones, but it's just impossible to do it.
<snicker snicker>
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

The examiner said it can be done, but she wouldn't be able to do it & said I could come back & try it over the weekend, which we did. Hubby tried it every way, but still part of the truck went over the white line, so it's impossible in that size of a truck. I suppose the woman was talking about a regular cab, which I definitely could make, but not in my beast!

So, I'll have to do it in a car, which will be annoying, as I've only driven our car once & it's like a boat & very heavy to steer, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I just wish I'd have known not to take the truck, as it's impossible.

On a side note, why aren't you allowed to adjust? I can't think of any real life driving situation where you wouldn't be allowed to adjust your vehicle instead of reversing straight out. They changed this test in the UK, probably because of that very reason.
You failed a US driving test? Did you have a UK license? Have you driven a car before?

I thought you could only fail if the examiner was killed in an accident during the test.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:00 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You failed a US driving test? Did you have a UK license? Have you driven a car before?

I thought you could only fail if the examiner was killed in an accident during the test.
Hahaha, I know, how sad is that?!?

I did think it was quite funny when she told me that I had failed because I could not complete the 3 point turn, I said okay & then drove off home!!! But hey, at least I didn't hit any cones!

PS - I've been driving for 9 years!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:03 am
Back where I belong!

Here's my truck.
Attached Thumbnails Driving Test-photo_-79.jpeg  
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha, I know, how sad is that?!?

I did think it was quite funny when she told me that I had failed because I could not complete the 3 point turn, I said okay & then drove off home!!! But hey, at least I didn't hit any cones!

PS - I've been driving for 9 years!
More people will reply soon..... they are still looking for flying pigs outside.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

More people will reply soon..... they are still looking for flying pigs outside.

Just picked myself up off the floor. Think the chair broke as I went down.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:13 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Just picked myself up off the floor. Think the chair broke as I went down.
I challenge you to do it, we can go on Saturday if you like, I'll drive!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I challenge you to do it, we can go on Saturday if you like!

Don't remember any 3-point turn when I did the AZ license. Had to parallel park into cones. I was in a rental Corolla. Took all of 10 seconds to get that part out of the way -- several funeral corteges would have fitted in the space.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't even have to do any maneuvers here in TN.
Theory test, then a leeeesuirly drive round the block, job done!
Think it was all right turns too
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

I was sent this link for this parking game, it's really fun!

http://www.107.peugeot.co.uk/peugeot.swf

Good luck to you all, although you shouldn't need it!

Have a go at this before your next test
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:26 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!...

Sorry...heehee...
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:26 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by mickmills
Have a go at this before your next test
Hahaha, thanx for the tip!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:29 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Don't remember any 3-point turn when I did the AZ license. Had to parallel park into cones. I was in a rental Corolla. Took all of 10 seconds to get that part out of the way -- several funeral corteges would have fitted in the space.
I bought an Aerostar when I first got here and he went for this licence first as I wasn't too keen. Made me do 3 point turns in that monstrosity, in the tiny two lane road near the house, with me weeping that I would fail because I kept going on the grass. I socked it to him when I went for my licence. An entire semi would have been able to turn in the space they allocated.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:27 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually seen a car before ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.