Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Stateside...

Driving Stateside...

Old Nov 8th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Stateside...

The best piece of advice I was given was to remember that the driver is always next to the center of the road (ie, not the passenger side). I found driving on the other side to be surprisingly easy as long as i kept that in mind. It really helped a couple of times when i had a sudden panic about which side of the road I should go into when i turned at an intersection!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
Your vehicle doesn't have to have an automatic transmission. You rent and/or purchase a manual. My husband has only driven manual transmissions here in the US for the last 12 years and my daughter's Toyota which is about 11 years old is a manual as well.
My father drove a manual for 20 years after moving to this country. He only caved just a couple of years ago because he couldn't get the Jeep he wanted in manual any more.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
On the driving test -- I often wonder if there is often a comparison of "apples and oranges" going on. The first driving test is always the hardest. The US expats I know in the UK have told me that, although the UK test was more thorough, they passed with no problem. I know that my two daughters [now 30 and 27] failed their initial California tests at age 17 -- I retraced the tests afterwards and I saw the problem -- they were set up to see if they committed a moving violation from inattention.
I vote no, to an extent - every person I know who's taken both, in either order, said the British one was significantly more difficult and thorough. I agree, though, that someone who has driven for any number of years will find it easier than someone who hasn't, assuming they haven't picked up any truly bad habits.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

DMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the rough

It's probably just me, but the first time I hired a car (automatic) in the US, I had to remind myself that I only needed to use my right foot on the pedals. In my head I knew there was no clutch but my left foot still wanted to be involved for some reason and would hover over the brake pedal. Made for an interesting ride from the airport the first night !
Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

_Orpheus_ is on a distinguished road

Yeah the whole hovering foot thing is going to get me for a while. One of my friends said that an automatic works just like in a video game, which got me thinking. So I loaded up GTA 4, went to the in car view and started driving around. I think I got the hang of it after a while, although it is a lot harder to follow the rules of the road when your running from the army

Anyway, back in the real world, thanks to everyone for the advice. The thing about the driver always being centre of the road is a good one as I always worry how I am going to handle intersections. What is the general rule of thumb with regards to speed limits? Also, what is the general rule at intersections? I have looked into this a little and it seems that its kind of a first come first go thing, is this right? What if two cars pull up opposite each other at the same time? Also can you turn left at an intersection (when the MI left isnt in play)? Does that mean its far left lane to go left and far right to go right?

Sorry for all the questions, they just came to me

Cheers people,
Orpheus
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neko128
My father drove a manual for 20 years after moving to this country. He only caved just a couple of years ago because he couldn't get the Jeep he wanted in manual any more.
My dual national brother-in-law informed me that it was easy to spot female American expats in the UK -- the broken finger nails on the right hand from ramming said nail into door when reaching to shift.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Orpheus_
Yeah the whole hovering foot thing is going to get me for a while. ...

Anyway, back in the real world, thanks to everyone for the advice. The thing about the driver always being centre of the road is a good one as I always worry how I am going to handle intersections. What is the general rule of thumb with regards to speed limits? Also, what is the general rule at intersections? I have looked into this a little and it seems that its kind of a first come first go thing, is this right? What if two cars pull up opposite each other at the same time? Also can you turn left at an intersection (when the MI left isnt in play)? Does that mean its far left lane to go left and far right to go right?
It is possible to think about this too much. However, the main thing is to be constantly mentally engaged while driving.

The words "defensive driving" should be kept in mind -- if in doubt, don't move. If you miss a turn, go straight until you can turn around.

Speed limits -- there is actually a "basic speed law" -- I found that my US standard of a "reasonable speed" served me well in the UK.

At an uncontrolled intersection, the people going straight have the right of way. If coming at 90 degree angle, first come, first serve. If arrive at same time, car to your right has the right of way. However, again, "defensive driving" should be kept in mind.

BTW, the UK is the one country where I will not rent a stick -- simply because I don't want to use the "wrong" hand. On the feet -- if one developed a strong habit against "riding the clutch" it turns out that one simply taps the foot every so often. [You might note that your feet will be oriented a tad different due to the front wheel well being on your left rather than your right.].

Again, I would not obsess over it too much.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for all the questions, they just came to me

Cheers people,
Orpheus
Those look like the sorts of questions covered in your State's driver's manual.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 11:17 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Those look like the sorts of questions covered in your State's driver's manual.
You'd think so wouldn't you...

Another odditie came to mind. Occasionally, you'll come up on a set of traffic lights (usually before 6am or after 11pm, and in one direction the amber lights will be flashing and from the other, the red lights will be flashing. If you are approaching the amber lights, proceed with caution (slow down), but don't stop, you have the right of way. The cars traveling in the other direction have to treat the flashing red light like it's a stop sign and yield to you.

The traffic lights themselves work much like the UK, with red, amber and green, except you won't see a combined red/amber before it turns from red to green, it just suddenly turns from red to green (no warning). If you are not watching, expect the horn.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:49 am
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Meryl
I agree- it took me 8 attempts to pass my test in the UK and only ten minutes to do it here!
Oh thanks for validating my opinion, a little recognition around here once and awhile is nice
Old Nov 9th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
Oh thanks for validating my opinion, a little recognition around here once and awhile is nice
Have you got a cut and paste button activated?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah the whole hovering foot thing is going to get me for a while. One of my friends said that an automatic works just like in a video game, which got me thinking. So I loaded up GTA 4, went to the in car view and started driving around. I think I got the hang of it after a while, although it is a lot harder to follow the rules of the road when your running from the army
Burnout Paradise is good for that - and you don't normally have cops chasing you. :-P

To add to S. Folinsky's comments on intersections... As they said, if it's an "uncontrolled" intersection (no traffic control signs or devices), straight has right of way. You *should* never hit a case where merging roads have no traffic control devices; there should always be a traffic light or a stop sign or a yield sign, in which case obey those. If it's a "4-way" or "all-way" stop (sometimes specifically signed, sometimes not), it really is actually "first-come-first-served" in most states; with preference given to the person of the right.

You can turn left at any intersection which doesn't say you can't, but as a rule, turning left means you've lost right-of-way unless you have a filter on the traffic light.

Speed limits are veeery state-specific. A lot of states have a "it's 55 if it's un-posted" rule or something similar, but you'll exceedingly rarely find a place where it isn't posted. In towns it tends to be between 20 and 40 (30 is extremely common in NY, but not all other states). "country roads", surburban roads, and highways are frequently 40-55. Interstates vary; I don't think they go below 55, but I know they go at least as high as 70 in some states. And just to top it off, there are some unlimited roads; generally arrow-straight ones with no hills in the middle of either desert or corn-fields, in the mid-west and western US.

All miles per hour, of course.

It's generally safe to turn left from the left lane and right from the right lane but - as the "Michigan Right" proves - this isn't always true. Also, there are any countless number of intersections which have multiple turn lanes in one direction, either going to the same or different roads after the turn. Unfortunately, that's so location-specific that you'll just have to learn the roads in question.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

_Orpheus_ is on a distinguished road

Cheers to everyone for your help. I actually found exactly what I was looking for on youtube!! I dont know why I didnt check there earlier, duh. Its a series of animated videos from the California DMV and they are perfect for learning the basics of the road. I know that the rules change depending on the state but for the basics they are great.

Find them here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Californ...4E872DBDFF6AFA

Let me know what you all think.

Cheers again for everyones advice and input. I forgot how fun GTA could be

Orpheus
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neko128
To add to S. Folinsky's comments on intersections... As they said, if it's an "uncontrolled" intersection (no traffic control signs or devices), straight has right of way. You *should* never hit a case where merging roads have no traffic control devices;

We have a number of uncontrolled intersections in my neighborhood and the right of way does NOT go to the straight road; traffic on the right has the right of way. I learned this the hard way not long after moving here.

I also subscribe to the 'rule of large' which states that the larger vehicle can have the right of way if they insist on taking it.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Commentator

Cheers to everyone for your help. I actually found exactly what I was looking for on youtube!! I dont know why I didnt check there earlier, duh. Its a series of animated videos from the California DMV and they are perfect for learning the basics of the road. I know that the rules change depending on the state but for the basics they are great.

Find them here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Californ...4E872DBDFF6AFA

Let me know what you all think.

Cheers again for everyones advice and input. I forgot how fun GTA could be

Orpheus
Excellent -- from 1997 I note -- when the state was flush with money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.