Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving in the states

driving in the states

Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving in the states

Originally Posted by britvic
like I already said, there driving test is 10 minutes long.
Jeesus ................ that was a long one ! 4 minutes for me in the car
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Jeesus ................ that was a long one ! 4 minutes for me in the car
well I thought it best not to upset our American friends.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:59 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zeus76
Hi all previous thread's reply was brilliant

Also as i am holidaying soon in the states i'm going to have to hire a car, any tips or advice would be valuable, like is the U.K licence valid to drive or hire a car, also as it will be first time ever in the state's is driving alot different than that in the u.k. I know that they drive on the right and steering on the left. Would i have to take some sort of driving lessons to get familiar with driving on the roads there!
As far as driving in the states goes ..... avoid it at all costs.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

By the way i'll more than likely go stay in Seattle what is Seattle like any members living there??

I live about 200 miles from Seattle in Oregon. Seattle has traffic from hell, you'll be ok there is so much of it, it hardly moves. Last time I was up that way it took me 3 hours to cover about 60 miles on Interstate 5. I made the mistake of trying to travel just after 3pm on a weekday afternoon.

If you are going to Washington State don't take driving lessons, any miniscule hint of knowing how to drive and you'll be streets in front of the idiots who live there.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

By the way i'll more than likely go stay in Seattle what is Seattle like any members living there??

britvic wat u mean bro when you say the F****rs??
They will not be happy until you are dead. It is true.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:03 pm
WTF?

well I thought it best not to upset our American friends.
HA!!! I taught myself how to drive AFTER I passed my driving test. Top that.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
HA!!! I taught myself how to drive AFTER I passed my driving test. Top that.
and this comes out of the horses mouth so to speak.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:08 pm
WTF?

and this comes out of the horses mouth so to speak.
In my driving test:

1 - jumped a curb and spinned wheels to get off of said curb

2 - couldn't parallel park at all - after 7 or 8 tries he told me to just forget it

3 - turned into the oncoming lane of traffic

AND I PASSED!!!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

cold and wet is o.k but hot weather i cant stand thats why florida is definately a no no

I still cant believe that when hiring a car there they just give you the keys and off you go, so a U.k licence is valid there to hire a car
If you are going to hire a car, it may well be cheaper to book it in the UK as most of the likes of Alamo, Hertz etc do better rates for tourists. Those offers will not be available if you just walk up here to rent.

I always used Alamo and got between a 20% and 40% discount off their normal prices. Did that often for many years. Best deals are done online with Alamo worth a look, you can use the UK web site to book for the USA.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In my driving test:

2 - couldn't parallel park at all - after 7 or 8 tries he told me to just forget it

AND I PASSED!!!
Did you have a short skirt on
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

In my driving test:

AND I PASSED!!!
My wife was told to parallel park by the examiner, she told him oh I don't parallel park.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by surly
My wife was told to parallel park by the examiner, she told him oh I don't parallel park.
There was nowhere to parallel park on my test so I was asked to pull to the kerb and then reverse. At the end of the test I was told I passed but the examiner said I was expected to look behind me when I reversed not just in the rear view mirror. I then pointed out the 5" x 3" screen in the centre of the dashboard and put my Jeep into reverse gear to show her the rear view camera which gives a far greater view then looking over a shoulder.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:27 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Ha ... you get a set of key ..and told what bay number the car is parked in the car park... where are you going ..???
Not true.

They also give you a 8 x 11'' local map.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:38 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by surly