British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   driving in the states (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-states-466603/)

zeus76 Jul 16th 2007 3:58 pm

driving in the states

Hi all previous thread's reply was brilliant :thumbsup:

Also as i am holidaying soon in the states i'm going to have to hire a car, any tips or advice would be valuable, like is the U.K licence valid to drive or hire a car, also as it will be first time ever in the state's is driving alot different than that in the u.k. I know that they drive on the right and steering on the left. Would i have to take some sort of driving lessons to get familiar with driving on the roads there!

another bloody yank Jul 16th 2007 4:14 pm

Re: driving in the states

Driving here is a little different. It can get violent, usually because two drivers pull up to a light and get into an argument, each insisting that the other go first. Or some have a habit of stopping on the highway (in traffic!:eek:) in order to let someone on ahead of them. Turn indicators are always used, sometimes backed up with hand gestures. You'll get the hang of it within a few days I'm sure!

britvic Jul 16th 2007 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5062456)
Driving here is a little different. It can get violent, usually because two drivers pull up to a light and get into an argument, each insisting that the other go first. Or some have a habit of stopping on the highway (in traffic!:eek:) in order to let someone on ahead of them. Turn indicators are always used, sometimes backed up with hand gestures. You'll get the hang of it within a few days I'm sure!

:rofl: stop telling fibs.

another bloody yank Jul 16th 2007 4:20 pm

What?:eek:

Is it not like that in VA?:p

Bob Jul 16th 2007 5:06 pm

Use your UK license, you'll be fine....the roads are massive and you'd have to be a real shocker of a driver to have any issues driving here...but get good directions because sign posts are shite.

Hiro11 Jul 16th 2007 5:15 pm

In New England:
1. Old, cracked pavement, insane freeway entries and exits, bizarre one-way streets.
2. Crazy drivers. Not simply bad drivers, I’m talking batshit "I'm backing out of this tollbooth and you can't stop me" insane. Also, they have the patience of a teenager on his first date and the aggression of your average cage fighter.
3. Beautiful backroads marred by old guys in Buicks or tourists in RVs the size of a house going 32 MPH.

In Midwest:
1. Endless, straight-as-a-ruler roads. People go about 60 MPH despite the fact that you could conceivably go 200 before it gets dangerous.
2. Horrendous traffic volume in the Chicago area because the road system was designed for 1960s volume. This traffic consists entirely of soccer moms in Honda Odysseys, dear old Dads in BMW 3 series and backwards baseball-cap kids in EVOs or WRXs.
3. People are just too calm and too slow to react. You’ll wait five seconds after the light turns green for people to friggen MOVE IT! Four way stop? Nobody’s moving for the next era. You first! No, I insist, you first! Oh, no, no, no, you first! (repeat ad nauseum).

In California:
1. Mindboggling traffic volume, even at midnight on a Sunday. People drive to the end of their driveway. Walking is seen as a sure sign of insanity.
2. Traffic jams consisting entirely of 18 year old kids in 85 Honda Civics with $100,000 of entirely cosmetic “upgrades”.
3. Turn signals are a sign of weakness. Consideration for other drivers gets in the way of burger-munching time.

In Florida
1. Sort of like driving amongst zombies: most people seem to be at least 90 years old and consider 28MPH to be “lickety-split” type daring.
2. Traffic jams consisting entirely of Columbian “businessmen” millionaires in Ferraris on South Beach.
3. In darkest interior Florida, men with suspiciously small skulls and suspiciously big ears tailgate you in 1982 Ford F-350 “duellies” with a Confederate flag plastered to the grill.

penguinsix Jul 16th 2007 5:24 pm

Left side - right side doesn't really phase you, with the exception of turns at an intersection. You're familiar with looking right, left, right to see oncoming cars, but here you need to switch it up as the cars coming from the left will probably be the ones to hit you.

It's really not a big deal, until you do a somewhat odd turn, say one where you start the turn, then have to stop for a second light, and then go again and you're habit is to look one way (while the car that slams into you is coming from the other).

But generally you'll have fun.

If you are going to rent a car, get out of the cities and really explore. The roads are wide and in some parts away from the cities, pretty empty. There is a legendary road trip out Route 66 from Chicago to California that many Americans have taken. It bypasses the big Interstates and goes through more small towns, good and bad.

http://www.historic66.com/

Ray Jul 16th 2007 5:39 pm

I expect its 2 weeks in Orlando ....

My tip ... do not make any hand gestures at other drivers
in Florida

zeus76 Jul 16th 2007 6:08 pm

Nice tips guys, but as i am renting a car does the hire company do a introductory lesson for international drivers just to get the feel of the car and the roads, or is there such a way as to take say a couple of lessons so that i get comfortable.

britvic Jul 16th 2007 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by zeus76 (Post 5063026)
Nice tips guys, but as i am renting a car does the hire company do a introductory lesson for international drivers just to get the feel of the car and the roads, or is there such a way as to take say a couple of lessons so that i get comfortable.

Lesson's :lol: I dont think they even do them over here,there test is about 10 minutes long, you'll be in your own class mate.

zeus76 Jul 16th 2007 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5063056)
Lesson's :lol: I dont think they even do them over here,there test is about 10 minutes long, you'll be in your own class mate.

So my guess is what Britvic said is if you can drive on British roads then theres no problem driving in the states

Ray Jul 16th 2007 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by zeus76 (Post 5063026)

Ha ... you get a set of key ..and told what bay number the car is parked in the car park... where are you going ..???

britvic Jul 16th 2007 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by zeus76 (Post 5063111)
So my guess is what Britvic said is if you can drive on British roads then theres no problem driving in the states

Got it one :thumbup: just keep your eye on the other F**ker's :eek:

zeus76 Jul 16th 2007 6:31 pm

By the way i'll more than likely go stay in Seattle what is Seattle like any members living there??

britvic wat u mean bro when you say the F****rs??

britvic Jul 16th 2007 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by zeus76 (Post 5063155)

britvic wat u mean bro when you say the F****rs??

:lol: like I already said, there driving test is 10 minutes long.