Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving from San Diego to Houston

Wikiposts

Driving from San Diego to Houston

Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving from San Diego to Houston

I am about to start this trek on Sunday, and am sorta dreading it, but has anyone done it, (or part of it), and have any decent advice?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:44 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from San Diego to Houston

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
I am about to start this trek on Sunday, and am sorta dreading it, but has anyone done it, (or part of it), and have any decent advice?
I feel your pain - if I had to go to Houston I would be dreading it too.

Having just returned from a long road-trip of my own (FL to MA) I would recommend having plenty of drinks and snacks in the car, a good supply of tunes and playing games to while away the hours (I Spy, looking for license plates from as many states as possible, farting contests and the like).
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:48 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
farting contests
what scoring criteria do you use?
I was thinking
Volume
Duration
Pitch
Fragrance
Frequency
Degree of difficulty
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:55 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I was thinking
Volume
Duration
Pitch
Fragrance
Frequency
Degree of difficulty
All of the above, plus temperature and viscosity.

Of course it goes without saying that windows must be kept shut at all times.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I've done Phoenix to Austin which covers a large part of the same route along I-10. It's one long straight shot and pretty boring at that. Be aware the west Texas section of I-10 has nothing, utterly nothing what so ever so if you plan to stop, plan accordingly. We did an overnight in Las Cruces which is the last decent place to stop until San Antonio. There is a nice Marriot there just off the highway and a good Mexican restaurant which I can't remember the name of (ask the hotel desk).

On the plus side most of I-10 is 85 mph. Though watch out for cops hidden in the median or at the side of the road.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:28 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I was thinking
Volume
Duration
Pitch
Fragrance
Frequency
Degree of difficulty
I'm curious about the degree of dificulty criterion. Is this something to do with getting as close as possible to following through without leaving a skidmark which of course is an immediate disqualification.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I've done Phoenix to Austin which covers a large part of the same route along I-10. It's one long straight shot and pretty boring at that. Be aware the west Texas section of I-10 has nothing, utterly nothing what so ever so if you plan to stop, plan accordingly. We did an overnight in Las Cruces which is the last decent place to stop until San Antonio. There is a nice Marriot there just off the highway and a good Mexican restaurant which I can't remember the name of (ask the hotel desk).

On the plus side most of I-10 is 85 mph. Though watch out for cops hidden in the median or at the side of the road.
Thanks, Im happy to break the trip down into lots of stops such as Tuscon, El Paso etc etc etc. Dont want to get over tired and stuff.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:57 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I'm curious about the degree of dificulty criterion. Is this something to do with getting as close as possible to following through without leaving a skidmark which of course is an immediate disqualification.
Well if you want to get all technical that one’s for the more ambitious entries which include variations in pitch, multiple notes, and recognizable melodies.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Im happy to break the trip down into lots of stops such as Tuscon, El Paso etc etc etc. Dont want to get over tired and stuff.
Do you want to deadhead straight through, or are you willing to make some interesting stops?

Tuscon has possibilities, as does the nearby area (launch a Cruise Missile!).
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Just a Tip, it is about a 23 hour trip straight though, so if you make lot's of small stops, which is great if you have the time and Money to play Tourist, Plan on being able to to get information on Weather and HWY conditions before you set off from whatever city you are in at the time.
Have a safe and fun trip and much luck in Austin
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

We did it both ways, Houston- Santa Monica -Houston about 5 years ago. Just remember there are very desolate areas in west Texas, so make sure you keep your gas tank topped up all the way, also there is a large portion of I10 in Texas between El Paso and San Antonio with no cell phone service either.

New Mexico and Arizona are a bit more interesting and seem to change along the way but Texas is such a big state that when you cross into it you still have hours and hours of travel until you reach Houston.

Good luck!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:52 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We did it as far as Arizona last year. Found a book called The Next Exit useful for planning where we were going to stop/eat/fill up on gas, especially as we were towing a travel trailer so a) not moving so fast and b) getting thru the gas even quicker than usual. It's updated every year, and worth every penny of the purchase price (we got ours half price as a well thumbed shelf display....think its 14.95 for a virgin copy.)

Like a few people have said, there are some pretty desolate areas, but I found it an interesting drive, especially going thru the areas with the windfarms....easy way to keep the kids occupied - count the windmills!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:36 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonrob
All of the above, plus temperature and viscosity.

Of course it goes without saying that windows must be kept shut at all times.
And the air on recycle
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:41 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Carry extra water. That's all I can think of really. And don't sit at the side of the road reading a map. That's a "Mug me" sign. It used to be a help me sign but not any more.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

In the end didnt do the trip, as I got a good price in shipping the car and flew instead. To be honest, I just couldnt face it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.