Reload this Page >

Driving restriction

Driving restriction

Old Feb 15th 2020, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Tim_p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving restriction

Hi all
im a duel national U.K./USA I’ve passed my driving test in the U.K. I’m currently restricted to towing a small trailer because of the date I passed my test does anybody know if that restriction would apply whilst visiting family there this year
kind regards tim
Old Feb 15th 2020, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving restriction

Originally Posted by Tim_p
Hi all
im a duel national U.K./USA I’ve passed my driving test in the U.K. I’m currently restricted to towing a small trailer because of the date I passed my test does anybody know if that restriction would apply whilst visiting family there this year
kind regards tim

What certification do you have that would allow you to tow a trailer? You will be obligated by your UK driving license. Therefore the GTW rules will apply.

I'm not sure what makes you think you'd be an exception.?!?
Old Feb 16th 2020, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply noting makes me think I would be an exception just trying to find out

my U.K. licence allows me to
  • Drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • Tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

where as in the USA the weight limits are very different for a basic licence

Originally Posted by Phathamster
What certification do you have that would allow you to tow a trailer? You will be obligated by your UK driving license. Therefore the GTW rules will apply.

I'm not sure what makes you think you'd be an exception.?!?
Old Feb 16th 2020, 9:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Driving rules are determined by each State. Which State are you going to so that we can point you in the right direction?
Old Feb 16th 2020, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

What are you planning to tow when you visit?
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

I’m going to Arizona and Colorado I’ll be towing a camping trailer with an atv inside
thanks tim
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
kind regards tim
This read as though you were visiting the UK....
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I’m going to Arizona and Colorado I’ll be towing a camping trailer with an atv inside
thanks tim
Presumably you live in the UK and are visiting the USA? You can drive on your UK license, but must comply with the limitations. You also need to ensure that you are complying with insurance requirements. If you are renting the vehicle you need to check with the rental company. If you are driving someone else's vehicle they will need to ensure that their insurance conditions are fully met.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Feb 17th 2020 at 12:33 pm.