Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving a relatives' car on vacation in UK?

Driving a relatives' car on vacation in UK?

Old Jun 30th 2011, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Driving a relatives' car on vacation in UK?

Hi, we're heading back to the UK for our hols having been in the US for 10 months or so.
One of our relatives has kindly offered to lend us a car for our trip duration, but we obviously need to be put on their insurance.

Will this be possible or advisable ?

I guess we are meant to use our US licences for this now ?
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving a relatives' car on vacation in UK?

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Hi, we're heading back to the UK for our hols having been in the US for 10 months or so.
One of our relatives has kindly offered to lend us a car for our trip duration, but we obviously need to be put on their insurance.

Will this be possible or advisable ?

I guess we are meant to use our US licences for this now ?
Loads of threads on this subject. The owner needs to contact the insurance company and tell them that a non UK resident will be driving the vehicle. They may or may not insure you. Your UK DL is invalid as you are not a UK resident.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My mother put me as a named driver on her insurance I have a valid UK license though. It cost just a few pounds a year.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
My mother put me as a named driver on her insurance I have a valid UK license though. It cost just a few pounds a year.
Not to kick an old hornets nest, once you stop being resident in the UK, your UK license is not valid.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Loads of threads on this subject. The owner needs to contact the insurance company and tell them that a non UK resident will be driving the vehicle. They may or may not insure you. Your UK DL is invalid as you are not a UK resident.
I totally didn't know that! I never surrendered my UK DL to swap it for a Canadian one because I had no need for a car over here, so when I've been back visiting I've rented cars on my UK drivers license, and also driven my folks' car (which I was a named driver on).
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Originally Posted by aml1982
I totally didn't know that! I never surrendered my UK DL to swap it for a Canadian one because I had no need for a car over here, so when I've been back visiting I've rented cars on my UK drivers license, and also driven my folks' car (which I was a named driver on).

Ouch...that could have been nasty if you'd been involved in a traffic stop or accident...'cos you wouldn't be insured.

My sister put me on her insurance...cost around £100 for a month.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Ouch...that could have been nasty if you'd been involved in a traffic stop or accident...'cos you wouldn't be insured.

My sister put me on her insurance...cost around £100 for a month.
I'm surprised the car rental country never mentioned it - I mean, I booked cars from Canada, entering a Canadian address and using a Canadian credit card, and I am pretty sure it will have come up during the small talk when we were picking up the car that I was back visiting relatives. I'd have though they would be quick to tell me I wasn't allowed to drive one of their cars, and that my wife (who did swap her UK license for a Canadian one) would have to do all the driving.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Ok thanks Jerseygirl, I'll have to search a bit harder next time! But it looks like this will be a timely reminder for people that their UK licence is no longer valid.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm surprised the car rental country never mentioned it - I mean, I booked cars from Canada, entering a Canadian address and using a Canadian credit card, and I am pretty sure it will have come up during the small talk when we were picking up the car that I was back visiting relatives. I'd have though they would be quick to tell me I wasn't allowed to drive one of their cars, and that my wife (who did swap her UK license for a Canadian one) would have to do all the driving.
Because they are not bothered and probably know no better....it's your neck on the block not theirs.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, where does it say (in the law) the DL becomes invalid the moment someone no longer lives in the jurisdiction?

And there's no such thing as a "UK" licence, anyway.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Because they are not bothered and probably know no better....it's your neck on the block not theirs.
I guess so. Still seems a little odd though - while the majority of the responsibility would lie with me, I am pretty sure a car rental company could get in trouble to lending a car to a person who wasn't legally allowed to drive.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, where does it say (in the law) the DL becomes invalid the moment someone no longer lives in the jurisdiction?

I don't know where it says it in the law...but I wrote to the DVLA some time ago and asked as this questions arises frequently on BE and I wanted clarification...something about an EC Directive if I remember correctly. When you change address you are required to immediately inform the DVLA of this and return your DL for amendment/reissue. They will not do this if you are no longer a UK resident.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 30th 2011 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Copied from another thread:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022088
You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both.

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.
I think it's something like £1000 fine for incorrect address information and/or false claims of residency.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Jun 30th 2011 at 11:51 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where it says it in the law...but I wrote to the DVLA some time ago and asked as this questions arises frequently on BE and I wanted clarification...something about an EC Directive if I remember correctly. When you change address you are required to immediately inform the DVLA of this and return your DL for amendment/reissue. They will not do this if you are no longer a UK resident.
They will not change address (most jurisdictions will not change to an out of jurisdiction address) but the DL does not necessarily become invalid.

Many people in Australia on temporary status continue to use an overseas DL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.