Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving record from the DMV

Driving record from the DMV

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Driving record from the DMV

Has anyone ever applied for a copy of the driving record from the DMV? I sent them (DMV California) the papers, 5USD money order like a month ago and still no response. I need it badly for the car insurance in Alta.
I'll never say a bad word about red tape in Canada!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving record from the DMV

Why dya need the dmv report? you got a ding on your record? if it's just to show a clean record, couldn't an insurance letter do the trick?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:15 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Why dya need the dmv report? you got a ding on your record? if it's just to show a clean record, couldn't an insurance letter do the trick?
The insurance company only checks your record periodically, usually just before renewal of the policy. The poster could have taken a Ford Bronco on a low speed chase on the freeways of Los Angeles between the time that the insurance company in California last checked his record and the date he fled to Canada.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

That's right, I was doing 150mph on a 101 at 4pm in the wrong direction But seriously, that's what the CAA wants on top of the insurance letter.

Any experience with the DMV, anyone?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The insurance company only checks your record periodically, usually just before renewal of the policy. The poster could have taken a Ford Bronco on a low speed chase on the freeways of Los Angeles between the time that the insurance company in California last checked his record and the date he fled to Canada.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:36 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bartM
That's right, I was doing 150mph on a 101 at 4pm in the wrong direction But seriously, that's what the CAA wants on top of the insurance letter.
That'd be impossible, change it to 4 am

Our Texas DMV is pretty good at things. You're facing two obstacles: Canada Post is not the greatest (I lived briefly in Canada and while I love Canada, that was a sore point). When I did have cause to call the DMV in Cali, they were very unhelpful about obtaining records so I didn't pursue it.

One thought: could your former agent pull your record for you, with your permission, and then either fax or mail it to you or the CAA? I'd imagine that they do a pretty healthy business with the DMV and probably go through separate channels to ensure that they get records in a timely manner.

Cheers
Amy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

In this case it's the goddamn DMV since I know they haven't cashed the money order yet. The time I lost with those guys when I was getting me a new licence - the slowest bunch of morons with attitude I'd ever met.

Anyway, it's a good idea about my agent in the US, I'll pursue that, thanks a lot for the suggestion, eh

That'd be impossible, change it to 4 am
Not on a motorbike, it ain't...
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:59 am
Lapine Member

Anyway, it's a good idea about my agent in the US, I'll pursue that, thanks a lot for the suggestion, eh

Not on a motorbike, it ain't...
Take off you hoser eh, and send me a box of Tim Horton's finest (express mail please) or Laura Scudders chocolate, I'm not picky

In Texas that lane straddling is illegal and it scares the sh*t out of me to drive in Cali with those maniacs. If someone so much as opens a door whilst stuck in stationary traffic, bye bye motorcycle guy.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Personally, I'll take Krispy Kreme over Timmys As for the maniacs on bikes in Cal, couldn't agree more - if I had a dollar for every dead biker I heard about on KTLA... well, at least they keep the supply of organs well stocked. BTW, maybe that's why on every Cal licence you have a field for organ donation. Is it the same on them Texas licences, pardner?

Take off you hoser eh, and send me a box of Tim Horton's finest (express mail please) or Laura Scudders chocolate, I'm not picky

In Texas that lane straddling is illegal and it scares the sh*t out of me to drive in Cali with those maniacs. If someone so much as opens a door whilst stuck in stationary traffic, bye bye motorcycle guy.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:16 am
Lapine Member

BTW, maybe that's why on every Cal licence you have a field for organ donation. Is it the same on them Texas licences, pardner?
Yes, there is an organ donation tick box on the reverse of the licence. Cycling without a helmet is still legal here, so you can imagine the casualites.

Nurses call a motor bike a "donorcycle."
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Hey, same here in Alta which is like Texas in many aspects. The guvermint ain't gonna tell nobody how to cycle Anyway, take care and thanks for the suggestion. Cheers

Yes, there is an organ donation tick box on the reverse of the licence. Cycling without a helmet is still legal here, so you can imagine the casualites.

Nurses call a motor bike a "donorcycle."
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

funny thing is, in maine, don't need a helmet for a motorbike...but you do for a bicycle....even though it isn't enforced if your over 18....
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:11 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
funny thing is, in maine, don't need a helmet for a motorbike
Nor in New Mexico or Colorado.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Nor in New Mexico or Colorado.
It's one way to spot a biker from NH cos there the only ones you see in a helmet...and leathers...so it's really gotta hurt to be a mainer that crashes his bike...I've seen some fat guy ride a nice motorbike, and we're talking cheeks a splitting because of the fat here, riding the bike in a t-shirt and shorts with flip flops...pulling away, now that was scary to watch *lol*
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:19 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Bob
It's one way to spot a biker from NH cos there the only ones you see in a helmet...and leathers...so it's really gotta hurt to be a mainer that crashes his bike...I've seen some fat guy ride a nice motorbike, and we're talking cheeks a splitting because of the fat here, riding the bike in a t-shirt and shorts with flip flops...pulling away, now that was scary to watch *lol*
I feel sorry for the nurses who will eventually have to care for his road rash
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I feel sorry for the nurses who will eventually have to care for his road rash
scary thought...buttered lard anyone?