British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-question-631727/)

MattyP Sep 20th 2009 11:28 pm

Driving Question

Hey!

I'm moving to Memphis with my partner in January and had some questions about driving, mainly for her.

I will be going out on a J1 visa, but she will only be on a B2 for a few months until she gets a job and she with then convert to a H1B (my new employer will sort this out for us).

I will buy a car and get a license ASAP (public transport in Memphis is pretty non-existent) - my question is: Will she be able to get a license on a B2 visa - or will she have to drive the car under her UK license - and is this possible with insurance etc?

Thanks!

ian-mstm Sep 21st 2009 12:16 am

Re: Driving Question

Originally Posted by MattyP (Post 7948829)
Will she be able to get a license on a B2 visa

No.

... or will she have to drive the car under her UK license
Yes.

... and is this possible with insurance etc?
She will likely not be eligible for insurance... certainly, not inexpensively! Once she gets an H-1B visa, she should be in a better position.

Ian

fatbrit Sep 21st 2009 12:22 am

I'm moving to Memphis with my partner in January and had some questions about driving, mainly for her.

I will be going out on a J1 visa, but she will only be on a B2 for a few months until she gets a job and she with then convert to a H1B (my new employer will sort this out for us).

I will buy a car and get a license ASAP (public transport in Memphis is pretty non-existent) - my question is: Will she be able to get a license on a B2 visa - or will she have to drive the car under her UK license - and is this possible with insurance etc?

Thanks!

Possibly: http://tennessee.gov/safety/driverli...temporary.html

MattyP Sep 21st 2009 8:56 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7948918)

It looks like, from this link, that she would be eligible for the same license I would be - you can get a temporary one even with the visa waiver!

Thanks!

discoviking Sep 21st 2009 11:38 am

Presumably the car and insurance will be in your name, not hers. Even if she drives it on her UK license initially, make sure she is listed as an authorized driver on the policy, otherwise you may be in for a nasty surprise if God forbid she gets into an accident.

MattyP Sep 21st 2009 11:54 am

Originally Posted by discoviking (Post 7950263)
Presumably the car and insurance will be in your name, not hers. Even if she drives it on her UK license initially, make sure she is listed as an authorized driver on the policy, otherwise you may be in for a nasty surprise if God forbid she gets into an accident.

yeah i would put it in my name and get her authorised on it!

thanks for the info guys!

Duncan Roberts Sep 21st 2009 1:50 pm

That sounds so simple!

MattyP Sep 21st 2009 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7950690)
That sounds so simple!

a hint of sarcasm? the immigration department said it should be no problem!

she is a teacher and just needs to be out there to get a post really!

Duncan Roberts Sep 21st 2009 2:30 pm

Good luck with that. I think you will find it much more difficult that you do. I don;t know what kind of teaching post she is looking for or what the rules are in the state you will be going to but it is not uncommon to require a masters degree in education from an accredited university plus a teaching license issued by the state. Even a US teacher licensed in one state can have problems getting a job if they move states and are often required to re-sit exams. Also not sure what immigration department you are talking about but it doesn't sound like they are being realistic.

MattyP Sep 21st 2009 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7950822)
Good luck with that. I think you will find it much more difficult that you do. I don;t know what kind of teaching post she is looking for or what the rules are in the state you will be going to but it is not uncommon to require a masters degree in education from an accredited university plus a teaching license issued by the state. Even a US teacher licensed in one state can have problems getting a job if they move states and are often required to re-sit exams. Also not sure what immigration department you are talking about but it doesn't sound like they are being realistic.

I only needed advice on driving!

It is St Jude children's hospital immigration department. My partner is fully aware what is required of her to teach in Tennessee, we have not entered into this decision lightly. She will require accreditation of her teaching masters that she did in the UK by the TN authorities to get a license, which although is a pain, is do-able (although to teach privately this isn't always required). She spent the morning with a principle of a school out there as well as a morning St Jude education department (which is where she ideally would like a job - unfortunately no positions at the moment). It is a gamble, and hopefully it will pay off, if not we will come back. My new boss and the people at St Jude have been very helpful and will support us through this process as obviously if she is unhappy or things aren't working out then it may affect our stay out there.

Sorry to be a little defensive but I hate it when people assume you haven't done your research and know exactly what is required.

ian-mstm Sep 21st 2009 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by MattyP (Post 7950850)
I hate it when people assume you haven't done your research and know exactly what is required.

It's safe to say that 95% of posters looking for information haven't done any research. You're the odd one out, so to speak. No offense was meant.

Ian

Kar98 Sep 21st 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by MattyP (Post 7950850)
Sorry to be a little defensive but I hate it when people assume you haven't done your research and know exactly what is required.

You'd be amazed. If you've done your research and know indeed exactly what is required, you're an absolute exception. People come here (and the other immigration boards) all the time having not the slightest idea but the most ridiculous expectations. I'm sure no offense was meant.
Goes for USCs, too. The other day at work I was asked if I had gotten a big check when I arrived state-side. WTF, I wish, LOL.

MattyP Sep 21st 2009 4:18 pm

Fair enough! It just makes you feel like you're under-prepared and makes you worry about decisions you've made when people start questioning them!

It's a big move as it is - and there's enough to be worrying about.

Fingers crossed she will find something good - I really don't wanna have to deal with any other outcomes really!!

A lot of issues are so personal to the individual, with respect to certain nuances about their situations, a lot of it you just have to put your balls on the line and see what happens!