Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Permit?

Driving Permit?

Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of
Default Driving Permit?

For those that have moved back "home" did you have to resit a driving test and do teh on road driving stuff.
Or were you able to get a driving licence easy?
I have held my US one for 15 years.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Permit?

Originally Posted by Cherylbe
For those that have moved back "home" did you have to resit a driving test and do teh on road driving stuff.
Or were you able to get a driving licence easy?
I have held my US one for 15 years.
Have you ever had a UK driving license?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

Haha sorry just saw my very messed up post. Would seem I had a issue with the letter 'E"

I only had a temp one when I was 17 and took a few lessons then I moved here .
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Haha sorry just saw my very messed up post. Would seem I had a issue with the letter 'E"

I only had a temp one when I was 17 and took a few lessons then I moved here .
I don't know whether you will be able to exchange your US license for a UK one...I've looked on the DVLA's website but can't find anything about the US. Take a look at their website...it may be best to contact them and find out.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:06 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't know whether you will be able to exchange your US license for a UK one...I've looked on the DVLA's website but can't find anything about the US. Take a look at their website...it may be best to contact them and find out.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/
No, you won't be able to exchange a US licence - details here.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
No, you won't be able to exchange a US licence - details here.
I didn't think you could but wasn't quite sure.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Darn it! so looks like I have to sit, drive and pay all over again
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Darn it! so looks like I have to sit, drive and pay all over again
If you take your test in an automatic, you won't be able to drive standard in the UK. If you take your test in a standard, you can drive both.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be able to drive on your US license for a year even if you have a UK provisional license. If you haven't passed your test by that point, you'll have to drive on the provisional license and suffer all the restrictions that brings.