Reload this Page >

driving out of state on a foreign license

driving out of state on a foreign license

Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:31 am
Just Joined

davidru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving out of state on a foreign license

hello,

apologies for another driving license question, but i'm a bit unclear about the rules on driving out of state. I am resident in NYS, but have faffed about getting my NYS driving license. However I still have my UK one. My understanding is that I can't drive any longer in NYS as I've been resident longer than 30 days- but from reading the various dmv websites it seems like I can drive in any other state as I'm not resident there and have a foreign license. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Many thanks,
David
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving out of state on a foreign license

Questions like this come up all the time.

They usually end up in lengthy discussions and disagreement over exactly what is and is not allowed in various states in the kind of situation that you describe.

Trust me, it would be much quicker and simpler for you to just get a New York driver's license than to waste time trying to get a definitive answer to your question.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidru
My understanding is that I can't drive any longer in NYS as I've been resident longer than 30 days- but from reading the various dmv websites it seems like I can drive in any other state as I'm not resident there and have a foreign license.
How do you plan to get to these other states without violating NYS law?

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

This is not indicative of what will happen in every case, but a colleague who has just moved to Atlanta on an L1 was recently pulled over by the rozzers in Indiana. The conversation went something like this (as described by my mate, some literary embellishment by myself):

Copper: Going a bit fast there, matey.
Matey: Mmm, guess I was going at 60 or so.
Copper: Did you know this is a 55 zone?
Matey: I probably did, yes.
Copper: This is a rental car, isn't it?
Matey: Yes.
Copper: Right, nevermind the registration, let's see your licence.
Matey: Here you go (hands copper the UK licence).
Copper: ... (all the while looking at matey's UK licence).
Copper: Slow down in future.

Finis.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How do you plan to get to these other states without violating NYS law?
Bus, taxi, train, aircraft, boat or even, possibly, in a car driven by someone else who has a valid license - the possibilities would seem to be almost endless ...
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

NYS requires that you get a NYS driver's license if you are resident in the State of New York. They require that it be done within your first 30 days of taking up residency.

Nowhere does the NYS law state that you forfeit your driver's license obtained from another state and/or country. As long as it is still valid you can still drive with it.

At most if you are stopped by a police officer or state trooper and they learn that you are resident in NYS and have been for over 30 days, you will be given a ticket to appear in court.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:14 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Note that if stopped and the cop asks you how long you have been a resident of NYS, you can simply ask to remain silent and refuse to answer any questions. Then its up to the cop to show how long you have been a resident of NYS for.

Originally Posted by davidru
hello,

apologies for another driving license question, but i'm a bit unclear about the rules on driving out of state. I am resident in NYS, but have faffed about getting my NYS driving license. However I still have my UK one. My understanding is that I can't drive any longer in NYS as I've been resident longer than 30 days- but from reading the various dmv websites it seems like I can drive in any other state as I'm not resident there and have a foreign license. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Many thanks,
David
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:15 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
NYS requires that you get a NYS driver's license if you are resident in the State of New York. They require that it be done within your first 30 days of taking up residency.

Nowhere does the NYS law state that you forfeit your driver's license obtained from another state and/or country. As long as it is still valid you can still drive with it.

At most if you are stopped by a police officer or state trooper and they learn that you are resident in NYS and have been for over 30 days, you will be given a ticket to appear in court.
I believe they expect you to "exchange" or "surrender" (their words) any license from another state. They were certainly hot on getting my PA license off me when I switched, but then I had no inclination to keep the thing!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

What would be more worrying to me if I was in the OP's position would be insurance. If he, god forbid, gets into an accident then it opens up a completely different can of worms
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
What would be more worrying to me if I was in the OP's position would be insurance. If he, god forbid, gets into an accident then it opens up a completely different can of worms

You can be insured in the US with a foreign license. My husband had no problems doing that. I added him to my policy with his Canadian license and his Canadian registered car (to boot) with GEICO.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:29 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I believe they expect you to "exchange" or "surrender" (their words) any license from another state. They were certainly hot on getting my PA license off me when I switched, but then I had no inclination to keep the thing!
When I switched from a NY to a WA licence they let me keep my NY one but punched a hole in it to invalidate it. I'm glad I got to keep it; it's funny to have the goofy 16-year old picture still!

I can't remember whether my WA one was punched or removed when I switched to Oregon. I think possibly punched again. By that time I had two different components of the WA one, as I'd renewed while overseas but the renewal had no photo on it and had to be carried with the expired one.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
When I switched from a NY to a WA licence they let me keep my NY one but punched a hole in it to invalidate it. I'm glad I got to keep it; it's funny to have the goofy 16-year old picture still!

I can't remember whether my WA one was punched or removed when I switched to Oregon. I think possibly punched again. By that time I had two different components of the WA one, as I'd renewed while overseas but the renewal had no photo on it and had to be carried with the expired one.
My Maine one was taken off me to switch it for a Mass one, where they send it back to the state.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You can be insured in the US with a foreign license. My husband had no problems doing that. I added him to my policy with his Canadian license and his Canadian registered car (to boot) with GEICO.
Good to know
I just wondered how it would work out if he rented a car in another state using his UK license, but had to put down his US address as his residence?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
My Maine one was taken off me to switch it for a Mass one, where they send it back to the state.
My Michigan one was taken off me when I switched to a Texas one.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
New York state took away my UK license, and then CT took away my NY license. The UK one I just replaced by saying it was lost!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.