Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in NJ with UK license

Driving in NJ with UK license

Old Mar 25th 2021, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in NJ with UK license

Originally Posted by destone
Interesting. I use Zipcar extensively when I visit London, and they specifically prohibit manual cars for those with US licenses. And Zipcar (both their US and UK operations) is owned by Avis.
Maybe because they know they'll have to constantly replace the clutches!
Old Mar 25th 2021, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
a person who has a valid license in their home country

That part is crucial. HOME country. Where you live. Your residence. Not where you were born. Not where you grew up. Not the passport you hold. You live in the US so the US is your home country, not the UK.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 11:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
That part is crucial. HOME country. Where you live. Your residence. Not where you were born. Not where you grew up. Not the passport you hold. You live in the US so the US is your home country, not the UK.
I disagree. I moved to the US in 1996, then to Canada 7 years ago. The UK is my home country and always will be.
Old May 11th 2021, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Georginas is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking at leasing a car very soon however I am struggling to get an appointment to even start getting a NJ license (initial permit). I had one cancelled and since been unable to book another anywhere in the state.

Since I moved 6 months ago from NY, I assumed I could not drive as only the first 60 days from a move are allowable. However I also read that "The M.V.C. has taken the position that a person who has a valid license in their home country, may lawfully operate a motor vehicle in New Jersey under that license ... for a period of no more than one

Does anyone know if this is accurate for 'non-tourists'?
Hey Tino,

I also have a full U.K. drivers license with IDP and went for my Knowledge Test at NJ MVC today, after passing the knowledge test the MVC checked my U.K. license and advised I do not need to take a road test. They advised the next step is to go online and book an appointment for the license however the website is not very clear on which appointment category covers this. Did you also go through these steps? If yes, which appointment category did you choose?

Thanks!
Old May 11th 2021, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Georginas
Hey Tino,

I also have a full U.K. drivers license with IDP and went for my Knowledge Test at NJ MVC today, after passing the knowledge test the MVC checked my U.K. license and advised I do not need to take a road test. They advised the next step is to go online and book an appointment for the license however the website is not very clear on which appointment category covers this. Did you also go through these steps? If yes, which appointment category did you choose?

Thanks!
I haven't managed to get that far yet. I had my appointment for initial permit and at the end of this month I have the knowledge test.
Old May 11th 2021, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
I need the UK driving license to be able to drive manual cars when I am visiting the UK.
That's not legal - your UK license is only valid for driving if you actually live in the UK.

Nobody is normally going to check, but if you were to be stopped by the Police or if you got into an accident then there's a risk that you'd be deemed to be driving without a valid license, which would almost certainly invalidate any insurance coverage that you'd be relying on.

You should be renting or otherwise diving on your US license, and securing any necessary insurance coverage on that basis.
Old May 11th 2021, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TexanScot
That's not legal - your UK license is only valid for driving if you actually live in the UK.

Nobody is normally going to check, but if you were to be stopped by the Police or if you got into an accident then there's a risk that you'd be deemed to be driving without a valid license, which would almost certainly invalidate any insurance coverage that you'd be relying on.

You should be renting or otherwise diving on your US license, and securing any necessary insurance coverage on that basis.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that. So if you are a UK citizen and move abroad without getting a different license, you cannot drive back in the UK?
Old May 11th 2021, 2:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. So if you are a UK citizen and move abroad without getting a different license, you cannot drive back in the UK?
Correct. If you are not a UK resident, your UK DL is not valid.

Are you likely to be caught? Maybe not. However if you are, you can end up in a world of hurt.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Georginas
Hey Tino,

Thanks!
Did you get this sorted in the end?
Old Jun 16th 2021, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

I have been looking further into this one year thing and noticed that in the NJ Drivers Manual 2021 it states under section 'Laws Governing Driver Licenses':

A motorist who is a foreign national with a valid license from another country may drive with that license for up to a year; the motorist may also be eligible for a New Jersey driver license. (N.J.S.A. 39:3-10)
However when you look at 39:3-10 it does not appear to cover this scenario at all: https://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/nxt/ga...sh:10.1048/Enu

Old Jun 16th 2021, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been looking further into this one year thing and noticed that in the NJ Drivers Manual 2021 it states under section 'Laws Governing Driver Licenses':

However when you look at 39:3-10 it does not appear to cover this scenario at all: https://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/nxt/ga...sh:10.1048/Enu
All States allow visitors to drive for up to 12 months, new residents have a much more limited time to get a License.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
All States allow visitors to drive for up to 12 months, new residents have a much more limited time to get a License.
Except I cannot find any reference to this limitation of 'visitor' in NJ rules and regulations.

Additionally, the manual calls out the fact the motorist who is permitted to drive with a foreign license for a year, can also be eligible to apply for a NJ license. However in order to apply for a NJ license as a non-US citizen you require temporary visa status (per https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/driverto...oncitizens.htm). You also need the 6 point ID which includes proof of NJ residency.

Therefore I can't see how the definition of visitor can only mean tourist. Everything I can find written about this is ambiguous at best.

Last edited by Tino; Jun 16th 2021 at 7:50 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Except I cannot find any reference to this limitation of 'visitor' in NJ rules and regulations.
I thought you were living in NJ
Old Jun 16th 2021, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought you were living in NJ
I am, for less than a year so far. My point was that as it's written, it does not say that it applies only to visitors. On the contrary it seems to suggest it also applies to those who are eligible for an NJ license, therefore must be NJ resident.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Not sure I would want to rely on that unless you are desperate.

I seriously doubt that is what is intended, would be illogical but would not be the first time regulations have been badly written.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.