Reload this Page >

Driving me up the wall

Driving me up the wall

Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:00 pm
mut
No, Wales isn't England

mut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving me up the wall

Hello to all. This is my first post here in ages, so forgive me if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious, but I have a few questions about driving over here.

First off, it's obvious I'm going to have to take a test - written and practical. The written one doesn't scare me as I've tried the online mock tests on the California DMV website and they're a doddle. What does worry me is the practial one, given I failed my test back in the UK four times and after 14 years of driving have picked up loads of bad habits. Can anyone clue me in to what the driving tests are like?

The second question I have is about car insurance. The car I'm planning to buy is a 1986 VW Cabriolet for about $3500. According to some of the insurance company websites I've gone to for quotes, the insurance for it will be in the region of $2000 a year. Is it really that expensive, or is that just 'cos I'm in southern California and have to play avoid-the-uninsured-Mexican every time I go out on the streets?

Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving me up the wall

Originally posted by mut

I wouldn't be lying to you if I said.........

The only way to fail a driving test in the USA is to either
a) cause a head on collision
b) run a policeman over.
c) Get hit by a train whilst ignoring those red flashing lights at a RR crossing.

if you can pass the test in Britain, no matter after how many times, you will find this one a doddle.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving me up the wall

Originally posted by mut
I've gone to for quotes, the insurance for it will be in the region of $2000 a year. Is it really that expensive, or is that just 'cos I'm in southern California and have to play avoid-the-uninsured-Mexican every time I go out on the streets?

That's not too bad. PLPD I presume, once you have some driving history it will come down a lot. (6 months-year)
Also you need medical coverage in your auto policy, whereas in the UK you didn't really have it compared to here.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:10 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt call it a driving test. If you can turn the car on and drive for a bit without hitting anything you'll pass. I would guess about 70% of people on American roads would fail the UK test.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:13 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I'd double check that quote as it sounds cheap. They work on 6 month quotes over here and if you have not had an american license before you start from scratch and it is super dooper expensive. If you can shop around you may find someone who accepts your UK driving record.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I dont get it.
I got insured, with my UK license on an $18000 car for a shade over $100 a month. I've had the policy for about 8 months, had a US license for 3, and am buying a new (2004) car, similar value, and the insurance is $86 a month, and I'm under 25. If I was 25 the quote would be $63 a month. Can insurance vary so much from state to state? When I got quoted those the agent said that he was sorry it was so expensive, but Ohio was one of the more expensive states.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 11:49 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
I dont get it.
I got insured, with my UK license on an $18000 car for a shade over $100 a month. I've had the policy for about 8 months, had a US license for 3, and am buying a new (2004) car, similar value, and the insurance is $86 a month, and I'm under 25. If I was 25 the quote would be $63 a month. Can insurance vary so much from state to state? When I got quoted those the agent said that he was sorry it was so expensive, but Ohio was one of the more expensive states.

I'd check the company really exists.......
Did you read the small print? Do they ever actually pay out?

Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:44 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by monster
I'd check the company really exists.......
Did you read the small print? Do they ever actually pay out?

car insurance doesnt have to be expensive. esp if you live in the surburbs. i know 3 other expats paying an average of 600 bucks per car. all brand new. i'm paying 700 for full comp with 500 deductible. and thats with my UK DL and no US driving history.

as for driving, in the UK its a privilage. so they dont dish out DL's. in the US, its your right to drive. and whats more, its a way to raise revenues in the UK. here it should cost you less than 30 bucks.

try statefarm or AIG.

Last edited by Gross50; Jun 9th 2004 at 12:46 am.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

State Farm!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:53 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Gross, the usually indicates some light-heartedness. You might want to try it some time

We pay 800 for two cars, both new. And we're not in the burbs, it's just a small city. And the deductable is 250.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:56 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:25 am
Winter hyphenator

Now doesn't that feel better?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:49 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

We pay just over $150 per month for a 2000 CR-V and a '99 ML320. Deductible is $250 and we have high amounts on all of the options (medical insurance etc).

We don't exactly live in a metropolis though, we get a discount for more than one car and for multiple policies. Neither driver is under 30.

We are with Allstate, I believe State Farm can offer us a less expensive premium at the same terms but not enough of a difference for us to be bothered with the hassle of changing insurers.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:50 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by monster
Now doesn't that feel better?
Now look what you've gone and done! His face cracked!!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:23 am
Winter hyphenator

Originally posted by lairdside
Now look what you've gone and done! His face cracked!!
But did the wind change?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.