British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving in Los Angeles, CA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-los-angeles-ca-796725/)

lashawnmartin May 11th 2013 7:38 pm

Driving in Los Angeles, CA

Hi, I'm moving to Los Angeles from the UK on the 21st of June. I Have a full English Driving licence with no points on. I am 22 years old and a personal trainer.

What do I do about driving, insurance and getting a car in Los Angeles? I don't want to get a rental as I herd if your under 25 it's very expensive. I was thinking about buying a cheap second hand car (<£1000 don't know what that is in dollars). Will I be able to use my English driving licence? Will it cost more to insure on an English licence. If there's any other important information you think I should know it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Lash

Neptun May 11th 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Driving in Los Angeles, CA

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

SanDiegogirl May 11th 2013 9:24 pm

Once resident in California the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) expects you to apply within 10 days for a Californian licence.

Getting all the paperwork and taking the test will take somewhat longer, but you are expected to apply for your licence asap; if you are stopped and have been the country for some time and NOT applied for your licence,the cops tend to get pretty stroppy about it.

Expect to pay a LOT for insurance (even on Californian licence) since you have no credit history, are under 25 and no US driving history. Get a letter from your current insurance company stating your no claims bonus - some US companies will take this under consideration.

Pulaski May 12th 2013 1:06 am

You will be treated as a completely new driver and have to take a theory and road test. Don't worry unduly, neither are particularly challenging, but you should learn the road signs and basic rules of the road. US road tests are a joke, though you must demonstrate certain skills like lane discipline, obeying STOP signs and traffic lights, and parallel parking, but really there is no excuse for failing and consequently almost nobody does ...... which is probably the main reason why driving standards in the US are so appallingly bad. :unsure:

Bob May 12th 2013 5:37 pm

$1500 will buy you a POS and then maintenance will be a problem. Don't forget all the extras that go into buying a car, sales tax, registration for plates, title, inspection etc.

But being under 25, you probably don't have many options as not many rentals will rent a car to someone under 25 and the few that do charge a massive premium.

So what visa is bringing you here as a personal trainer anyway, for the curious?

Hotscot May 12th 2013 6:42 pm

I second the question on your visa? Also curious.
Is it a Personal Trainer for fitness or something else?

md95065 May 12th 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10704780)
So what visa is bringing you here as a personal trainer anyway, for the curious?

According to another post by the OP he is a dual UK / US citizen.

... so he will need to add "register for selective service" to his "TODO" list for when he arrives ...

lashawnmartin May 12th 2013 6:50 pm

My dads American, he lives in North Carolina so Iv got duel citizenship. Also yes it's fitness personal training.

lashawnmartin May 12th 2013 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10704868)

... so he will need to add "register for selective service" to his "TODO" list for when he arrives ...

What's that?

md95065 May 12th 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by lashawnmartin (Post 10704875)
What's that?

https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male immigrants living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.

SambaDeAmigo May 14th 2013 12:18 am

If you need with brush up on your driving knowledge (signs and rules), check out my new app in my signature :)

lashawnmartin May 14th 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo (Post 10706741)
If you need with brush up on your driving knowledge (signs and rules), check out my new app in my signature :)

Just downloaded it. Cheers! I want to get driving ASAP!

lashawnmartin May 14th 2013 9:42 am

App isn't working. Crashes as soon as I open it.

SambaDeAmigo May 14th 2013 11:29 am

Originally Posted by lashawnmartin (Post 10707194)
App isn't working. Crashes as soon as I open it.

Really? Are you on iPhone4 or 5?
Please let me know as I haven't had such a complaint before.

lashawnmartin May 14th 2013 11:36 am

I'm on iPhone 5. It comes up with radiant design studios then crashes