British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving liecence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-liecence-109173/)

mickyboy Jul 3rd 2002 10:16 am

Driving liecence

Hello everyone
My Fiance has just sent her petition forms to the ins in Dallas and we hope that it wont take to long for every thing to happen,we have worked out that it should take 3-4 months,as we have set our wedding day for 7th december in dallas.

my question is , i have a british buss drivers liecence and want to know if once i have passed my Texas driving test will i be able to transfer it over to that liecence,i know that in the 70's and 80's british psv liecences were recognised.
i also have a forklift liecence and want to know if that is also recognised over there.
i have looked on the Texas DOT web site but it is of no help.

so i was wondering if anyone out there knows the answers to thesse minor questions

many thanks
mickyboy

mrpilock Jul 4th 2002 3:14 pm

Re: Driving liecence

hello mickyboy,
i would think that the best thing to do is get your fiance to call the local dot office or call the direct yourself from the uk its only 3p aminute on onetel. Just wondering what part of dallas your are going to as i myself are moving there in aug if all goes well at my visa aproval date on 1st aug.
I will be working in the carlton area were still looking at the best place to buy our home.
All the best anyway.

kind regards

keith & debs

Bastian Freitag Jul 4th 2002 8:20 pm

That's true mickyboy... the TX DOT websites are not very helpful and 2 emails I sent
remained unanswered. I think what mrpilock said would be best... have your fiancee
call a local office and ask for you, or call them yourself.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Bastian (going to TX some time this year)

"mickyboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello everyone My Fiance has just sent her petition forms to the ins in Dallas
    > and we hope that it wont take to long for every thing to happen,we have worked
    > out that it should take 3-4 months,as we have set our wedding day for 7th
    > december in dallas.
    >
    > my question is , i have a british buss drivers liecence and want to know if once i
    > have passed my Texas driving test will i be able to transfer it over to that
    > liecence,i know that in the 70's and 80's british psv liecences were recognised. i
    > also have a forklift liecence and want to know if that is also recognised over
    > there. i have looked on the Texas DOT web site but it is of no help.
    >
    > so i was wondering if anyone out there knows the answers to thesse minor questions
    >
    > many thanks mickyboy
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Des Jul 5th 2002 2:20 pm

This info should be on the webiste of the British Embassy in the US, or the US
embassy in the UK. I know it's true for Germany's US Embassy, and the German Embassy
in the US...

There, you should be able to figure out which types of driver's licenses are
convertible. Note of caution however (to Bastian mostly): when I tried to exchange my
German driver's license for a Texan one, they wanted to _keep_ my German one! Do the
whole test over, and you get to keep both... it's very cheap and easy in TX. Took me
all of 50 minutes (10 for the test, and 5 for the driving test, and the rest waiting
and filling out forms).

- Des

. Jul 5th 2002 2:20 pm

"Des" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >.. it's very cheap and easy in TX. Took me all of 50 minutes (10 for the test, and 5
    >for the driving test, and the rest waiting and filling out forms).

One point is that you can take the test anywhere in TX and not just in your county
(we checked into that because our local DPS office seems to be ALWAYS full and we
came away from there more than once because of the endless wait, so in the end I went
to an office in a more rural area - there it was much quicker.)

I think the original poster may want to check into acquiring a 'Commercial Driver's
License' - CDL - in TX. He should also check the DPS web site (in TX the Department
of Public Safety issues licences, not the DOT.)

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ontrol/dlindex .htm

Also maybe choose a DPS office close to where he will be living and call them to ask
about bus driver licensing/training. (Offices are listed on the site but beware some
of the phone numbers are OLD (they have not caught up with the fact that some 972
numbers are now in area code 469) and at least one of the addresses (McKinney) is
wrong because they built a new one :) ).

Harry Jul 5th 2002 7:23 pm

Micky,
Ask your fiancee to pick up a Texas Drivers Handbook from any DPS office - they give them out for free - and that should set you on the right path, and also help you study for the written part of the test (some of the laws here are quite different from the UK). What you're after is a Class A or B license. Class C is small stuff, cars, vans, etc, A and B is for the big stuff. I'm pretty sure you have to take the test again, and can't transfer your license. Then there is the whole CDL thing. You basically have normal Class A, B, and C, and then the CDL (commercial drivers license) versions of each of those. I'm not totally sure exactly when you start needing those. Anyway, good luck with it all.

-Harry (Dallas, ex-UK)