Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License USA - Topical Story

Driving License USA - Topical Story

Old May 4th 2006, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving License USA - Topical Story

I was listening to an interview with the Aurora Chief of Police and Mayor on the radio tonight.

Full story on link, but basically EWI Boy Racer gets pulled by Police, shows Mexican license, ticketed and let go. 30 minutes later whilst street racing involved in 2 car pile up and a passenger killed.

So The Police Chief says that they just check valid license and as they have no way of knowing how long someone has been in Colorado they do not check whether that person should have a CO license. He also stated that you have 30 days after moving to CO to get a license, which is, amusingly, wrong.

He was driving a car licensed and insured by his Mother, I do not know her status.

I could never work out if I did or did not need a CO license initially, I had to wait for EAD to get one which took a lot longer than the grace period. Seems it would not have mattered even if I had been stopped.

An interesting Insurance issue as well.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...7-c589c01ca7bf
Old May 4th 2006, 4:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License USA - Topical Story

They do need to sort this driving malarky out and make it more standard throughout the states, so they have at least a standard level of proficiency, because it's a bit of a joke right now, and also make it a standard amount of time to get a license when you move to the state, and how they deal with immigrants.

It's crazy that you don't need to where a seat belt to drive a car in new hampshire, but you have to wear a helmet to ride a motor bike, but it's the opposite for both in Maine *l*
Old May 4th 2006, 4:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see a point in tying drivers licences to legal immigration status cos then the EWIs/out-of-status folk will just forget about the licence. That means they can't get insurance and that it's much more difficult to track their traffic offences. Doesn't seem rational.
Old May 4th 2006, 5:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Don't see a point in tying drivers licences to legal immigration status cos then the EWIs/out-of-status folk will just forget about the licence. That means they can't get insurance and that it's much more difficult to track their traffic offences. Doesn't seem rational.
I guess it is because it is used as de facto national ID.

You can get Insurance without a US DL, the Insurance industry likes the US DL mainly because it can track your record and rate you accordingly, claims and convictions.

As far as I can tell it is this rather than the level of comptency in driving.

A seperate National ID, if it ever happens, may be a solution.

In my State the level of minimum Insurance is so low, that there seems little difference in a case like this as to whether he had state minimums or none at all.
Old May 4th 2006, 10:42 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They do need to sort this driving malarky out and make it more standard throughout the states, so they have at least a standard level of proficiency, because it's a bit of a joke right now, and also make it a standard amount of time to get a license when you move to the state, and how they deal with immigrants.

It's crazy that you don't need to where a seat belt to drive a car in new hampshire, but you have to wear a helmet to ride a motor bike, but it's the opposite for both in Maine *l*
I know people here in NJ where you do have to wear a seatbelt, who refuse to do so because "it is not safer, and it's worse when you have a crash wearing one because it can be difficult to get you out of the vehicle, and they can cut into you". I'm sure while this can be true in some unusual, in most types of accidents you would surely be better off with a belt on.
Old May 4th 2006, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I know people here in NJ where you do have to wear a seatbelt, who refuse to do so because "it is not safer, and it's worse when you have a crash wearing one because it can be difficult to get you out of the vehicle, and they can cut into you". I'm sure while this can be true in some unusual, in most types of accidents you would surely be better off with a belt on.
We keep a small device in our cars that cuts through seat beats, the other end can be used to smash the windows in an emergency.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:19 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

It took me three attempts in England to get my license so when I got to the states I was worried about how bad it would be to get one here. After a year of my wife driving me everywhere she said I could either take the test or take the bus.

I went and took the test. I took the practical part in Millington, TN. The practical consisted of reversing out of a parking spot, making 5 right turns ( a block) and then parking.

I spent a whole year worrying about a test that consisted of 5 right turns. I am sure that if the residents of Memphis and surrounding areas were made to take an English style test you would see at least a 75% failure rate.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
In my State the level of minimum Insurance is so low, that there seems little difference in a case like this as to whether he had state minimums or none at all.
True, but Texas at least still requires you to maintain the state minimums or face fines and other penalties.
Old May 4th 2006, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dan_alford
I am sure that if the residents of Memphis and surrounding areas were made to take an English style test you would see at least a 75% failure rate.
Jesus!!!! Are they that good down there then?
Old May 4th 2006, 2:15 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Jesus!!!! Are they that good down there then?
Well I was trying to be generous. Actually driving here in Memphis is like living through one of those old driving videos.

During my time here I have seen people reversing up the interstate to get to a junction, reversing up a slip road, do an emergency stop in the middle of a 4 lane interstate junction to try and make the turn, etc.

I don't know what its like elsewhere but I have been told that Memphis does have some of the worst drivers.
Old May 4th 2006, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
True, but Texas at least still requires you to maintain the state minimums or face fines and other penalties.
So does Colorado.

35% of the population does not bother.

20% has State Minimums - 25/50/15....

So more than half have no cover or next to no cover.

Plus all the Pizza delivery etc drivers who may have 'cover' but are not covered to actually do what they are doing.
Old May 4th 2006, 2:55 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Boiler
35% of the population does not bother.

20% has State Minimums - 25/50/15....
which is why I have never seen the sense in bothering to require it.
Old May 4th 2006, 3:27 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

That Najera kid has a face like a melted wellie.
Old May 4th 2006, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
It took me three attempts in England to get my license so when I got to the states I was worried about how bad it would be to get one here. After a year of my wife driving me everywhere she said I could either take the test or take the bus.

I went and took the test. I took the practical part in Millington, TN. The practical consisted of reversing out of a parking spot, making 5 right turns ( a block) and then parking.

I spent a whole year worrying about a test that consisted of 5 right turns. I am sure that if the residents of Memphis and surrounding areas were made to take an English style test you would see at least a 75% failure rate.

Sorry, I disagree with that statement. 99% would fail.
Old May 4th 2006, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Aye, stupid reason...perhaps if your a bird and up the fluff, but more often than not, much better to have a belt on...also means the state gets some federal money to repair roads if they have better safety laws apparently...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.