Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license in US and Greencard

Driving license in US and Greencard

Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

PayneP329 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license in US and Greencard

I have moved to California and have my Greencard. How long can I drive on my UK licence and how long do I have before I need to get US driving license? The people at the DMV were not sure!!

Many Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license in US and Greencard

[
duplicate
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PayneP329
I have moved to California and have my Greencard. How long can I drive on my UK licence and how long do I have before I need to get US driving license? The people at the DMV were not sure!!

Many Thanks
You have NO time to drive on your UK licence.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California DL within ten (10) days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

Practically, this is usually impossible since you cannot get an appointment within 10 days at most DMV offices However, should apply as soon as possible since, if stopped by the police, you need to show that you have an appointment to take the test etc.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...dl_info#two500
Old Nov 19th 2018, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

PayneP329 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=SanDiegogirl;12595942]You have NO time to drive on your UK licence.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California DL within ten (10) days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

Practically, this is usually impossible since you cannot get an appointment within 10 days at most DMV offices However, should apply as soon as possible since, if stopped by the police, you need to show that you have an appointment to take the test etc.
-------------------

Thank you for this. This is totally different from what I was told. I read I can use UK licence for 1 year, and DMV were telling me 3 months or 6 months.

I've just done the theory, but no availability until January for practical test. Having driven about 30,000 miles in US over past 30 years on tourist and on business, it's a bit frustrating.

Thanks again !
Old Nov 19th 2018, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=PayneP329;12595956]
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You have NO time to drive on your UK licence.

-------------------

Thank you for this. This is totally different from what I was told. I read I can use UK licence for 1 year, and DMV were telling me 3 months or 6 months.

I've just done the theory, but no availability until January for practical test. Having driven about 30,000 miles in US over past 30 years on tourist and on business, it's a bit frustrating.

Thanks again !
The link I gave you is for the Californian DMV web page and it states 10 days at the top of the page. As said, as long as you can show you have made an appointment you will be fine.

Driving as tourist or on business is under completely different rules. You are now a resident.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 10:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In the states it is called a driver's license. As this is the Welcome Inn, Welcome to BE btw, I'm asking that this be transferred to the appropriate forum ... USA forum.