Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License (Specifically NY/CT)

Driving License (Specifically NY/CT)

Old Feb 11th 2019, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving License (Specifically NY/CT)

After arriving in the USA yesterday, I was wondering about how to obtain a USA driving license. I don't have any urgent requirement to drive here and certainly won't have a car for a couple of years, but it would be good to get a license so I can potentially use hire cars or zipcars on the few weekends when one would come in handy, or alternatively drive the in-laws car on the odd occasion.

I am, or in a couple of weeks time, will be living in NYC, but the in-laws are in Connecticut and will spend a lot of time here as well. We plan to live in NYC for probably only 2-3 years at the most before purchasing something in CT later on.
  • Can I use my UK license to drive here and do I need to do anything in advance if so? Would this differ from driving my own car / in-law's car / hire car? And presumably this only lasts a year or so?
  • I don't believe I can just transfer a UK license to either an NY or CT one, and will therefore be required to take a test again? Is this correct?
  • Is there any difference from an NYC license to a CT license? Is there any benefit to taking a test in either state? The in-laws are adamant I should take it in CT without really giving a reason why - but considering it will be a lot easier for me to take a test in NYC without having to take time off work to travel to CT this would make more sense to me to do so, but keen to understand any reasons against doing this? (other than the fee to register an NY license in CT when we finally move to CT permanently)
  • Is there any requirement to do so many physical driving lessons before booking a test, or could I just drive with the in-laws for a while and then take a physical test? Likewise is there a requirement for any classroom based lessons before taking the theory/paper test?
Wondering if there is anything else I may be missing or failing to take in to account please? Any horror stories or personal experience? I couldn't find much on the process for new immigrants to obtain a license other than an awful amount of information regarding CT's policy to offer a license to any illegal immigrant.

Thank you in advance
Old Feb 11th 2019, 2:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License (Specifically NY/CT)

Once you become resident in New York, you need to obtain a state license. Driving on a UK license is OK as a visitor, but not once you actually live there. You can't get a CT license if you don't live in the state. Here is the link to the NY DMV site so you can read all about the procedure.

New York DMV

When you do take up residence in CT, you will be able to do a simple "trade in" of your NY license at the CT DMV.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As Nutmegger advised, US drivers licenses are issued by the state, so if you apply for one you must obtain it from where you live; so for example you apply for one in CT but actually live in NY, then you might find that CT will be wanting to levy state income tax on your income! That said, a drivers license is used in the US as a de facto ID card, so it is definitely worth getting one ASAP, and if for any reason you don't want to take the test yet, then I would strongly advice that you obtain a state ID card, which is literally a drivers license without any attached driving privileges.

Once you have a state license, issued in any state, it can be freely swapped for a license in another state for a nominal fee when you move to another state.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Once you have a state license, issued in any state, it can be freely swapped for a license in another state for a nominal fee when you move to another state.
And a retest (written AND/OR physical), in some states.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:40 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Hire cars are called rental cars over here. If you say hire car, no one will have a clue what you're talking about.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
What do you mean by "retest"? I have never heard of anyone being asked to take another road test when moving between states! And I have never heard of anyone needing a physical to get a license, I didn't need one even for my first license (in NY), nor do I know anyone who has, though there is a very basic sight test, for obvious reasons. That might be different if you are disabled, have chronic illness, or are just a decrepit old f@rt. I think one is also required for a commercial/ HGV license.

I think it is customary to ask a very few very basic questions about road signs when you move to another state, but I wouldn't call that a "retest".

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 11th 2019 at 5:48 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by "retest"? I have never heard of anyone being asked to take another road test when moving between states! And I have never heard of anyone needing a physical to get a license, I didn't need one even for my first license (in NY), nor do I know anyone who has, though there is a very basic sight test, for obvious reasons. That might be different if you are disabled, have chronic illness, or are just a decrepit old f@rt. I think one is also required for a commercial/ HGV license.

I think it is customary to ask a very few very basic questions about road signs when you move to another state, but I wouldn't call that a "retest".
I thought as you did, but this page (see chart) indicates that quite a few states have onerous requirements.
https://www.infinityauto.com/knowled...nsfer-by-state
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234

I thought as you did, but this page (see chart) indicates that quite a few states have onerous requirements.
https://www.infinityauto.com/knowled...nsfer-by-state

I mostly stand by my previous comments, as I have obtained licenses in two of the mid-colour states on the page you linked, and I think all I had in each case was a rudimentary sight test and being asked 4-6 questions about road signs.

Of the "palest" states, I checked Alaska, and Illinois - both require surrendering a valid license from another state, Ohio says the road test will "usually" be waived". Indiana apparently does require a road test. For Idaho I can't find any reference to a road test for people who move there and already have a US state license. All states appear to require a sight/vision test, and some sort of basic knowledge of road signs and driving rules, but only of the sort that you could train a moderately intelligent chimp to pass!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 11th 2019 at 6:15 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 6:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
I mostly stand by my previous comments, as I have obtained licenses in two of the mid-colour states on the page you linked, and I think all I had in each case was a rudimentary sight test and being asked 4-6 questions about road signs.
Looking at the full sentence in the first quote (above,) it is possible that TheKingOfHearts meant road test (i.e. contrasted with "written")
Old Feb 11th 2019, 6:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have known several people who emigrated to the US, NY in particular, and yes, there is a test you will need to take to 'exchange' your license to a NY license. It is the written test, now done on computer. Perhaps this is what Pulaski took 20 years ago. Today it is not just road signs but about safety issues and driving while impaired. If you hold a current license from any countries outside of the US you only take that test and the vision test and there is no need for the actual road/driving test. If you are exchanging out of state issued driver's licenses, other than the vision test, there is no further testing but in a handful of states as indicated above in another post.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
Looking at the full sentence in the first quote (above,) it is possible that TheKingOfHearts meant road test (i.e. contrasted with "written")
I know, which is why I asked him (first line of my reply to him).
Old Feb 11th 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
I have known several people who emigrated to the US, NY in particular, and yes, there is a test you will need to take to 'exchange' your license to a NY license. It is the written test, now done on computer. Perhaps this is what Pulaski took 20 years ago. Today it is not just road signs but about safety issues and driving while impaired. If you hold a current license from any countries outside of the US you only take that test and the vision test and there is no need for the actual road/driving test. If you are exchanging out of state issued driver's licenses, other than the vision test, there is no further testing but in a handful of states as indicated above in another post.
Nope, that's exactly what I experienced, because in NY a holder of a British driving licence has to go though the whole licensing process from scratch, including the 5 hours classroom training! This is not necessarily true of people who hold licenses from other countries, as some states will swap licenses from certain other countries, perhaps because they are countries that "drive on the right" like the US.

However this thread got slight side-tracked into discussing the process of swapping a NY license for a CT license, which seems to have confused you.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 7:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, that's exactly what I experienced, because in NY a holder of a British driving licence has to go though the whole licensing process from scratch, including the 5 hours classroom training! This is not necessarily true of people who hold licenses from other countries, as some states will swap licenses from certain other countries, perhaps because they are countries that "drive on the right" like the US.

However this thread got slight side-tracked into discussing the process of swapping a NY license for a CT license, which seems to have confused you.
Unless somthing changed since 2011 this is exactly what I had to do. Eye test, Learner permit, multiple guess exam, watching 5 hours of videos form the 80’s telling you not to drink drive, and then paying for 2 hours of instructor so I would have a car for the test. No road tests in the city so I had to drive up out through the Bronx. You wait at a street sign, the instructor walks up and for me the test was 5 to 10 mins. Drove off, made a couple of turns, parked, turned in the road and back, then she printed out a receipt that is your pass / temp lisence till the full one arrives in the post. The test was very easy. Nothing like the UK style one. They did not take my UK lisence at the test.

As others note when I moved to CT in 2016 I just had to go to the DMV to register my car for local plates and “trade in” my NY lisence for a CT one. I think I had an eye test as well when they did that.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by tht
Unless somthing changed since 2011 this is exactly what I had to do. Eye test, Learner permit, multiple guess exam, watching 5 hours of videos form the 80’s telling you not to drink drive, and then paying for 2 hours of instructor so I would have a car for the test. No road tests in the city so I had to drive up out through the Bronx. You wait at a street sign, the instructor walks up and for me the test was 5 to 10 mins. Drove off, made a couple of turns, parked, turned in the road and back, then she printed out a receipt that is your pass / temp lisence till the full one arrives in the post. The test was very easy. Nothing like the UK style one. They did not take my UK lisence at the test. ….
Yup, about the same for me, in December 2001, except I lived in Valhalla (Westchester County) and didn't want to wait until March 2002 which the local official who attended my 5 hour training snottily assured me was the earliest possible test date. Mrs P checked multiple test centres progressively further and further away from NYC until she found me a date on Friday of the next week in Herkimer. And so we made a long weekend of it, drove out to Herkimer, and that is where I did my road test. It lasted about 12 minutes IIRC, and ironically included a parallel park maneuver, which I hadn't had to do in the UK. But otherwise yes, the test was an utter joke.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 11th 2019 at 7:46 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

for example you apply for one in CT but actually live in NY, then you might find that CT will be wanting to levy state income tax on your income!
Actually a very good point, especially for people moving between States.
California, for example, sinks it's bear claws into you and is reluctant to give up any opportunity for tax revenue when you move to another State.

Keep an active library card or newspaper subscription and you're tapped.

You do not want any official presence in another State if you can help it.

Just something to keep in mind. YMMV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.