British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   driving license in SC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-license-sc-64025/)

smartiegirl88 Feb 5th 2002 2:35 am

Well I remember there was a topic on here about people with K1 visas not getting their driving permits. WELL, I finally went to take my driving test this morning (after over a year actually) and I was scared they wouldn't let me take it. I had my new passport that doesn't have any visa in it, all it has is the indecipherable INS stamps you get when you leave on advance parole. Me and the hubby played dumb, all the desk clerks looked thoroughly confused but didn't actually ask me any Qs about it. I guess they didn't want to seem like they didn't know what to do (although it was obvious). ANYWAYS, after going into the back office and asking someone, they let me take my test!! SO I am a licensed driver!! WOOHOO I am so excited....Also, I have my AOS interview in a week or so. I feel like things are finally going our way for a while ;)

Josh Feb 5th 2002 8:11 am

Actually I don't think they care about who gets a license. Before me and my wife got
married I was down in Seattle all the time. According to her insurance on her car I
couldn't drive it because I was an out of country driver. So I went down to the
Department of Licensing and asked if I could take my test....They asked me for ID and
such so I handed them my Canadian passport and other ID. I didn't even show them an
existing Canadian license. They asked me if I was living in the US now and all I told
them was I was planning on doing an adjustment of status in the future sometime...I
didn't have any stamps or anything in my passport. All I had to sign was a
declaration saying I didn't have a social security number. So for anyone who wants to
drive I wouldn't worry about going to get licensed. At least in Washington State!!

josh

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Andy Platt Feb 5th 2002 11:28 am

If you had read any of the threads about SC you would see they were enforcing a state
law about only US citizens, Greencard holders and those on student / work visas
getting driver's licenses. It's a pretty sure thing with driver's licenses that each
state is different from the next.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
my
    >
    >
    >
could
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
So
    >
licensed.
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Well I remember there was a topic on here about people with K1 visas not getting[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > their driving permits. WELL, I finally went to take my driving test this morning[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (after over a year actually) and I was scared they wouldn't let me take it. I had[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my new passport that doesn't have any visa in it, all it has is the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > indecipherable INS stamps you get when you leave on advance parole. Me and the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > hubby played dumb, all the desk clerks looked thoroughly confused but didn't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > actually ask me any Qs about it. I guess they didn't want to seem like they[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > didn't know what to do (although it was obvious). ANYWAYS, after going into the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > back office and asking someone, they let me take my test!! SO I am a licensed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > driver!! WOOHOO I am so excited....Also, I have my AOS interview in a week or so.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I feel like things are finally going our way for a while ;)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

tara Feb 5th 2002 12:27 pm

OH they care

Too cool smartie! Your moniker was a truism in this case. You had them royally confused!

The DMV has taken it upon themselves to decide who gets and does not get DL here and they have no understanding of visa's. We are active in getting the legislature to amend the rules for DMV, but it is like moving a hibernating bear.

If you are from SC and having problems search/read the thread titled "Can't get drivers license!" for details of how you can help.

Now they are even refusing students (it is not only fiances and spouses having problems). If you are not "homegrown" you probably won't be driving here.

Here is the update from USCS showing student problem.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Driver's License Problems for International Students Update: January 2, 2002
The South Carolina Department of Public Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles, which is the state agency in charge of issuing driver's licenses, has changed its policy for issuing driver's licenses to international students and scholars. The Division of Motor Vehicles will only accept an un-expired entry visa stamp, in an individual's passport as acceptable documentation for getting a South Carolina driver's license. Unfortunately, many individuals are in valid/legal visa status, but have expired entry visas.

This new policy is causing serious problems for many internationals in South Carolina. Attempts are underway to try to get the policy changed, but there may have to be legislation passed by the State Legislature before any changes can be made. That process may take several months.

In the meantime, students who do not have valid entry visa stamps in their passports should expect to be denied driver's licenses or driver's license renewals. Unfortunately, there is no appeal process. The only solution is to get a new entry visa by leaving the US and applying for a visa at a US consulate or embassy in another country. As it is very difficult now to apply for a US visa in Canada or Mexico (unless one has Canadian or Mexican citizenship), renewing the entry visa may require a trip to one's country of citizenship.

International Programs for Students and other internationally focused community and educational groups have been actively advocating for a resolution to this problem. If you have had difficulties getting or renewing a license and wish to share that information, please do so by emailing [email protected]. Please include your name and contact information as well as when and why you were denied a driver's license and what hardship that denial has created. We will attempt to share that information with the appropriate state officials.

Please note: It is against the law to drive in South Carolina without a valid driver's license. Even though it may cause difficulties, please be sure to protect yourself by NOT driving without a valid driver's license. International Programs will announce any resolution in its electronic newsletter.

We at USC deeply regret the difficulties this policy is causing and will continue to work toward a resolution.

Andy Platt Feb 5th 2002 2:11 pm

>
    >
    >

< cut >

>
    >

8 CFR says such documents include EADs, I-94s, greencards, etc, etc which would seem
to be the only legal interpretation of that phrase.

Andy.

--

Andy Platt Feb 5th 2002 2:12 pm

Apologies from anyone from SC, but this is what you get when you have a bunch of
in-breds running state government.

Andy.

--

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Alien Feb 5th 2002 11:31 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You're a girlie aren't you? How did you manage to pass the test??

AlIen.

Grinch Feb 6th 2002 2:15 am

>
    >
    >

DO NOT REPLY TO THE ABOVE MESSAGE WITHOUT REMOVING THE CROSSPOSTS

GRINCH

smartiegirl88 Feb 6th 2002 3:15 am

HEY! No fair! Girlies can drive too! I must admit that the driving test is so much easier over here than in the UK...Here I was expecting this long road test, and it only lasted about 15 minutes, if that! I can drive legally OMG haha....sorry, excitement....life over here takes some adjusting to, I guess this is the first step huh...

Teeter Feb 6th 2002 5:50 am

It was more than a year ago, but they didn't let me get a license untill I got
social security number, I think that's how it was. I had international license
anyway, but that one was only good for 6 months. :-P So, I think the social security
number is enough.

>
    >
    >

Teeter Feb 6th 2002 5:51 am

Hey, welcome to the movie world :) everything is easy here :))

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Dawn Feb 6th 2002 11:12 am

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]>
    >
    >

Why should this be surprising from a state where Strom Thurmond was initially, *and
continually* voted senator.

Dawn

Teeter Feb 7th 2002 4:34 pm

Hey, you don't have to apologize, it's all true. SC is stuck. I came here from Europe
almost 2 years ago and honestly, I could of pick lot better place to be. ;)

>
    >
    >
    >

Steve & Lisa Feb 7th 2002 4:40 pm

ROFL!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >